Things you don't see anymore

9 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

There is no dip stick to check the oil in my car.

I'm always beign told that I'm a 'dip-stick'...would you like me to check your oil for you, Shirley?

:rotfl:

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I have these in my collection, Waddo but I think  you probably mean Kodak "Flash Cubes", with four bulbs, one on each side of a cube that fits to the top of the Instamatic Camera?

33973765954_51d26ff298_b.jpg

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

No dipstick in the car?   First time I've heard of that.  My newest vehicle has all the computerized do dads, but it still has a dipstick.

My car doesn’t have a dipstick. You just tab through the readouts on the dash to get the level. My previous 911 didn’t have one either. My wife’s car, which comes from the same manufacturer as mine, does have a dipstick, so there’s no consistency. I prefer to dip the oil as it gives more confidence than an electronic readout.

• Like 2

I have no idea what’s under my bonnet!  However, I would guess that I do not have a dipstick.  For the past 18 years I’ve been driving cars that don’t have spare wheels and that’s something I’m not entirely happy with. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Neither of our cars have spare wheels. There is some sealing stuff and a compressor pump if you’re really stuck somewhere like the Highlands of Scotland. Otherwise you just press a button in the roof and apparently someone answers and sends help (if there’s a signal). I hope I don’t have to do that as I can foresee problems. I still keep my AA membership going. The AA and similar carry temporary wheel/tyre combinations which can be adapted to suit any car and will get you to a tyre depot where, of course, they won’t have your particular tyre in stock.:(

Those gunky things are OK for a nail type of puncture, but no good if the tyre is cut!. At least a spare wheel will get you going again, provided you can change a wheel!!!

I rarely use a dipstick as I normally get a 'Check oil level ' message on my dashboard display. Then I just pour a litre in, and that cleares it up for a few months.

My 1998 Ford has one of those little temporary spares that is supposed to be enough to drive to the nearest tyre shop.  It's still brand new.  I've never had to use it.

Glad I've still got me dipstick anyway.  I like to see where the oil is on the stick. I'm just a Dinosaur. :(

The last time I had a tyre problem was about 3 years ago. I had just passed Newark and it felt a bit odd so I pulled into a filling station and put some air in a very flat tyre. It gave me enough to drive to nearby ATS tyres. Unfortunately  it was Christmas Eve, the tyre was irreparable and a 20 inch tyre for a 911 was not the sort of thing they had in stock or could get quickly so I had to leave it with them. I called the AA, the first time I had called them since1965! and a van was promptly sent to take me home. The tyre was supplied and fitted the day after Boxing Day. All round I thought the service was pretty good and have used ATS ever since.

My car did not have a spare wheel, just one of those repair kit things. Our son borrowed it one evening and on the way home there was debris on the road and he got a puncture. The RAC arrived and the kit would not fix it. The guy said that the kits are no good for fixing punctures when it is a slit. I now have a spare wheel. There is less boot space but my husband and son are happier as I am out and about a lot on my own going to meetings and other work commitments.

When I first lived in Ontario.  It was common to put snow tires on the driving wheels each winter.  Rather than keep pulling the tires off the rims I went to a scrap yard and bought a couple of rims for just a very few dollars each.  It would probably be quite easy to buy such a rim for a car that did not come with a spare.

Edit.    I also keep one of those little air compressors in the car.  It connects to the battery.  It could be enough to to get you home or to a shop if the leak was not too bad.

Sounds like a bit of common sense, if only someone can justify the reason not to have a spare wheel, absolute madness!!

When I went to buy my current car, it had the gunk kit in the spare wheel well. As I tow a caravan, I insisted that the dealer supply a proper spare, even if it was only a space saver, which they did.

I did notice that a full-size spare now appears on the list of optional extras, with a price tag of £250!

It doesn't help that many cars are now fitted with "unidirectional" tyres, meaning they can only be fitted with the directional arrows pointing forwards. So a spare with such a tyre could only be fitted on one side of the car

• Like 1

So go to halfords / scrapyard and get a wheel with correct pcd and offset with omnidirectional tyre, sorted!!

I have 4 spare wheels for my car, so has my husband we keep them at our local tyre place. They are our snow tyres which we change by law every November until April.

• Like 2
On 16 March 2018 at 6:53 PM, nonnaB said:

I have 4 spare wheels for my car, so has my husband we keep them at our local tyre place. They are our snow tyres which we change by law every November until April.

Having had to drive to pick our daughter up tonight, on roads which were sheet ice under fresh snow and ungritted, and having to avoid or pass other cars which were struggling, I'd tend to agree that we ought to have a similar law in the UK*.

Either that, or making it compulsory for new drivers to learn how to drive in adverse conditions.

* Although my (part-time 4wd) Hyundai has summer tyres on it and performed excellently!

• Like 1