Things you don't see anymore

Not an impressive frontage Compo, if they were still in operation it would no doubt be re-branded as Woolworth Local or some such.

Wonder if they ever stocked sticks with an `orses `ead `andle ?

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Compo said:

Anyone remember F.W. Woolworth? This one is on Renfrew Street, Glasgow:

Just returned from holidays and met a couple of people there, the gent started working at Woolworth's when he left school at 15 he was on the shop floor, general dogs body, but he slowly worked his way to the top and ended up manger of all the NOTTS/DERBY stores. We had a great time remembering things about the old "Wooly's.

• Like 1

Me Mam and her sisters wearing 'Turbans'...............loved me mam and Aunties,....most lived Bulwell,,Basford,,Bestwood,,

miss just nipping in to see em,.......ey-up me ducks every day...........Gwen,Marg,,Rose,,Connie,,Nel,,Doris,,........all lovely Lasses...........

• Like 2

Couple of West Indian ladies i know still wear em.........and of course the Punjabi chaps.........

10 hours ago, katyjay said:

Funny you should mention turbans, saw a young girl working in a hairdressing salon, wearing one the other day.

They were all the rage in Lord Byron's day as unisex headgear. There is nothing new under the sun, as they say!

To go with the housewife turban, there was invariably the wrap around "pinnie" or pinafore, replaced some years later with the quilted nylon housecoat.

I also seem to remember that a yellow duster was part of the uniform as well - carried at all times to deal with every molecule of dust that dared to fall anywhere within range.

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2)

A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows.

She dug her heels in and refused to move when the council re-housed the street’s residents, I believe she was the last person to move out of the Grove

10_AC6295-8_E90-40_B0-_B258-_CB061_ABF69

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

And woe betides anyone who actually stepped on grannies front steps after she had scrubbed and 'cardinalled' them.

• Like 1
On 13/04/2018 at 4:36 PM, DaveN said:

Round Light Switches

I still have this one in my shed Dave:

22952478351_c1b8d0509c_b.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

Bloomin' 'eck! Twenty eight quid for a switch and patress that were being chucked away just a few years ago.

Your pic is of what we called a 'carrot' top, very difficult get 'em going but the more usual type was easy. Diablo?.. easy peasy and yes I had steel skates for a long time before going 'upmarket' with rubber wheels. My dad, because of the way the  skates gripped, always threatened  I'd have to go barefoot if they ripped the sole off my shoe

• Like 2

Oh yes! If there were 2 of us and only 1 pair of skates we'd balance a Beano or Dandy annual across the skate, sit on it and zoom down the pavement. Straight off the kerb, onto a bum-jarring cobbled street! Thank God there wasn't much traffic around!

• Like 5

As well as the Carrot top you also had the window Breaker (which some reason use to get tangled in the string, lace, or piece of what ever was on the end of your whip) when you tried to get it apart the top seemed to just fly for the nearest window, the you also had the Turnip top, also you had to chalk a design on the top to make a pattern. Talking of pattern's you don't see Clyedoscops  (not sure of spelling) you know the smartie  tube that you turned at the end to make different patterns.

• Like 1

Rover tinned biscuit selection.

• Like 1

My roller skates had rubber wheels but the rubber must have been low-grade as the wheels wore down to triangular shape!   Had a lot of fun on them, despite the bumpy ride, because we lived on a steep hill. 

My favourite top was a ‘carrot’, I just couldn’t get the ‘mushroom’ shape to work.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh dear Lizzie, the mushroom top was a doddle, it was the carrot that I struggled with as it kept wobbling and falling over.

• Like 2