Things you don't see anymore

Just remembered now how we coloured the top of the top with different chalks, and when it spun, it was like a kaleidoscope. Brilliant !

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Oh dear Lizzie, the mushroom top was a doddle, it was the carrot that I struggled with as it kept wobbling and falling over.

I remember chalking a pattern on my top but I knelt on it  to spin  so the pattern rubbed off.  I also used the skate and book but never on a steep hill,  my cousin talked me into trying a big hill but I must turn right at the bottom of course I didn't. Broken anke and wrist the bank in question is the one in a previous picture, he had trouble sitting down while  was spoilt LOL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can anyone remember the rules for snobs? I seem to remember the first round was, catch as many as you can on the back of your hand then one up and pick up the remaining snobs one at a time.

Germans. Two up and scoop the remaining snobs two at a time

Frenchies not sure of

Overhands, the snobs thrown up have to be caught overhand etc..

• Like 2

YES Brew you have got the rules right, also their was a game that you played with little metal shapes called  " Jacks" 

don't like to be a feminist but most off these games were played by girls, correct me girls if I'm wrong.

The games that I liked best were what we called French Skipping when you had two rope's one going one way and the other going opposite. The hardest part was getting your mums washing line off the peg to use for a skipping rope, with out her seeing you.

• Like 1

Just a lighter note for us girls only!

Bottle Green and Navy Blue nickers with elastic legs 

use for them?  great for tucking in your dress when doing cartwheels?

Great for keeping the boy's away (Hand Trapper's) and for saving your virginity.

• Like 3

forgot about the pocket thanks for telling me. Gem

I have an Escalado in the loft, Oz; unfotunately, the part that grips the table broke and I couldn't see a way of fixing it.  I must get it out and have another look.

6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Bottle Green and Navy Blue nickers with elastic legs 

Made good dusters when no longer in use as undergarments :)

• Like 1

Chocstix - whole length of the sweet jar for 3d. Crunchy tuffy with chocolate down the middle.

Barley sugar sticks - another that was the whole length of the sweet jar for 3d.

Fruit Salads - small squares of soft tuffy coloured yellow and pink. They seem to have developed into Opal Fruits (or whatever they are called nowadays - Starburst, is it?) 4 for 1d.

Black Jacks were similar to Fruit Salads but dark grey and aniseed-flavoured. Again 4 for 1d.

Coconut mushrooms.

Sherbet Dabs.

Spanish Juice sticks (Solazzi?). You could get little tiny ones or big fat ones. I ate the whole of one of the big ones once. I was sitting on the toilet for several days afterwards, too scared to get off. I've always been very wary of eating liquorice since then.

There are loads more, I'm sure.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Brew said:

Can anyone remember the rules for snobs? I seem to remember the first round was, catch as many as you can on the back of your hand then one up and pick up the remaining snobs one at a time.

Germans. Two up and scoop the remaining snobs two at a time

Frenchies not sure of

Overhands, the snobs thrown up have to be caught overhand etc..

Here's picture of my ORIGINAL snobs, which  I bought about 64 years ago when I started secondary school.  There are a few spares there, too, and  some jacks - the little red ball seems to be missing, though

i have tried to teach two of our grandchildren how to play snobs, but they aren't very keen as I'm better than they are!

IMG_4189.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I was told I was a snob at grammar school because I came from Woodthorpe! I don’t think I am - I don’t mind mixing with common people. :biggrin:

As Margie say's come to the meeting most of us are from royal blood but HAY WHO CARE'S 

Whoop's sorry Boot's Care,

On 17/04/2018 at 11:10 PM, Gem said:

Anyone remember playing with 'chucks' small squares of coloured wood which you threw in the air and caught on the back of your hand.

We called them snobs (along with the spiky alloy ones) and I'm fairly certain that they were made from baked clay.  See Margih's picture above.

• Upvote 1

Mine are made of clay... perhaps the Tyneside ones were wood?  My mum said when she was little - at the beginning of the 20th century - she used to play with 5 little stones!!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

As Margie say's come to the meeting most of us are from royal blood but HAY WHO CARE'S 

Whoop's sorry Boot's Care,

I never think of people on this site as ‘real’ people. They exist just in my imagination. If we were to meet I’m sure I would be just as disappointed in them as they would be with me.smile2

• Like 1

At primary school in the 60s we played jacks with ‘knuckles’ which were plastic or  real knuckles from the Sunday roast.  I also remember French/German skipping with the 2 ropes and ‘elastics’.  Swap cards? Coca Cola yo-yos?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I never think of people on this site as ‘real’ people. They exist just in my imagination. If we were to meet I’m sure I would be just as disappointed in them as they would be with me.smile2

I definitely wouldn't be disappointed to see you, Phil.  I don't care that you'll probably look different.....

Also,  you KNOW I'm not just in your imagination and if you'd be disappointed to see me, then I'd be sad.  

iknow I look different from when I last saw you 64 years ago, but I'm the same person inside!  

(or  perhaps  that's what putting you off!   Lol)

And the other Nottstalgians I have met are all interesting people.... I hope you'll change your mind.

• Like 1