Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Mary 1947, tucking your skirt in your knickers bought back some memories.

Back in the late 70s our sergeants mess and their ladies were invited to a formal dinner (full mess kit and long dresses only) in Swindon. On returning to our hotel we found the bar still open for the staff an opportunity not to be missed. Anyway while I was playing 'liar dice' an adult version of snobs the wife got into discussion about doing cartwheels when she was younger and was told "bet you couldn't still do one now."

Damn me the first I knew about it was when I saw her, long dress tucked in knickers cartwheeling across the foyer in high heels and stockings.

I have never let her live that one down.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Morning Philmayfield  would love to see you at next meeting, don't worry as most members will tell you I meet members and the next time I see them I just can't remember who they are. (it's an age thing I think)

It was interesting what you say about being a snob for a long time I tried to cover up my Nottingham accent I hated using  tarra,  hayup  miduck so like you I was called a snob, but hay ho that's life.

When you state that you think of member's as not real people, I can tell you now we are very real but it reminds me of when I use to work at N.H.T.A. I would give each person a title from "Snow White" and the seven dwarf's the owner was DOC, our manager was Grumpy, Doc wife was Bashful, in the office was Sleepy and Sneezy, then of cause there was Happy and Dopey, well that was all of us Happy at our jobs but Dopey that we worked for peanuts.

OK you lot correct my spelling of my use of Nottingham grammar.

I’ve never had a Nottingham accent Mary. Neither did my parents or grandparents who both came from the Meadows. At Arno Vale school in Woodthorpe a Nottingham accent would certainly have been corrected and I recall some more affluent parents sending their children to elocution lessons. When I was at Mellish there were some stranger accents from the Eastwood, Jacksdale and Hucknall areas but these gradually mellowed over the years! I always think that ‘Nottinghamese’ is more of a lazy way of speaking rather than a true accent. Here, in the Trent Valley, in the east of the county, the indigenous farming type people do have a particular accent which carries over into Lincolnshire. It’s difficult to describe but it does have a few ooh’s and argh’s but it’s gradually dying out. A lot of speech nowadays seems to be either ‘Eastenders’ and ‘Coronation Street’ based, depending on the viewers’ preferences, together with a touch of ‘gangsta’. Television has a lot to be responsible for in the way in which people speak. All of my acquaintances talk ‘posh!’ :biggrin:

On 18/04/2018 at 6:10 AM, mary1947 said:

Bottle Green and Navy Blue nickers with elastic legs 

use for them?  great for tucking in your dress when doing cartwheels?

Talking about tucking skirts into knickers - here's the modern equivalent....only this may not have been so deliberate. :biggrin:  Photo taken on a beach in Caithness:

2JVXedh1COcp3WbLvG4nnUsBRu3vcnJFgzM2br5J

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, Compo said:

Talking about tucking skirts into knickers - here's the modern equivalent....only this may not have been so deliberate. :biggrin:  Photo taken on a beach in Caithness:

2JVXedh1COcp3WbLvG4nnUsBRu3vcnJFgzM2br5J

So that's the new pants  design is it ? must get some.

• Like 1

Lyons fruit pies were a favourite with train spotters and other lads, out for the day; they made great lunches. I couldn't find a picture of the 6d pies that were around when I was young but here's a 7d one:

39946690210_4833b80362_b.jpg

• Like 1

I could never figure out how the lids of these pies didn't sink and rest on the very exiguous quantity of filling that was in most of them.

The only ones that had any reasonable amount of filling were apple. All the others had less than a misers jam sandwich.

Yup they were. Small square and pastry like concrete. Stanton and Stavely went all modern and did away with their kitchen in the canteen installing vending machines and microwaves instead. After buying what you wanted from the vending machine you opened the wrapping and inside was a plastic strip with serrations (a bit like a short, straight tie wrap) Put the meal in the microwave and push the little strip in the slot and it set the correct time. Found a discarded timer strip and thought I'd have a warm fruit pie. They were ever so cross....

• Like 2

We once ran out of petrol in some out of the way place because Paul was holding on to find a petrol station that gave Green Shield stamps!   We were towing the caravan at the time and we had the 3 children and dog in the car.   Paul had to walk to the next village while we waited by the side of the road.  Luckily he found a petrol station within a few miles but it didn't give stamps!!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

In the early 70s my ex used to work at the Central filling station by the Palais.  Jet petrol didn't give stamps but it did give gifts; sometimes it would be crystal glasses and somtimes things like jig-saw puzzles and kiddies games.  Some customers didn't bother taking their gift  so those unclaimed were put aside.  Each serving wench (The staff were all young ladies) had a favourite customer and those customers often used to get a 'bonus' gift when they came in for fuel.  One day it was my turn.....It was about ten years later that I was visiting Nottingham and called in to the Jet station at the top of Woodborough Road.  The forecourt lady recognised me from all those years back and plonked a small box full of crystal glasses in my car!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Back then was Esso's "Put a tiger in your tank" and on buying a certain number of gallons of petrol, you collected a singularly useless faux fur Tiger Tail key ring which lasted about a week (if you were lucky) before it fell apart.

Compo, you have reminded me of the free glasses my hubby got with petrol when we were first married. They were green, the size if a whisky tumbler, with a dimpled bottom. Lasted us for years.

• Like 2

The wine glasses we used to get with petrol looked like a hand grenade on a stem.

Gave the last two to a charity shop a few months ago.

• Like 2

There were two types as  I recall, Sue.  I still have some of the "Hand grenade" glasses and the others were a whisky style tumbler.  I don't know how they managed to afford to give crystal glasses away - even if they weren't the best quality on the market.   I think at a later date they stopped giving crystal and changed to imitation crystal patterned glasses.