Things you don't see anymore

I picked up a Panini World Cup sticker album for free today in Sainsburys.  Little present for my husband!!  I won’t be buying him any stickers though ........ I heard on Talk Sport the other day that to get a complete set it will cost nearly £800 (according to a top mathematician). His reaction to his gift was that he’d rather I get some tickets for the tournament .......... errr, I don’t think so. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Well done!  

The 1990 World Cup was on at the same time I took our lads and my recently widowed Dad to Athens. When I booked the holiday I hadn’t realised the tournament was at the same time. They had to watch the games on Greek TV which wasn’t the best experience.  

• Like 1

Memory??

Was 1990 the penalties with Italy?

If so I was at Wembley watching the Stones..Mick stopped the concert and put up the penalty shootout on the huge screen!

Waddle toe poked it?

Jagger was as peed off as us 60,000.

They went past the 12.00am cut off point.. Kept playing and got fined by Ken Livingstone.

• Like 1

Ian you're not doing yourself any favours are you?

A while back you took me to task when I made disparaging remarks about travellers with whom you claim an affiliation and stated they are not all thieves who dump rubbish leaving it to others to clean up after them.

Now, on a public forum you have admitted to dumping a vehicle you no longer wanted and had no more use for in a public car park. I let that slide but now you tell us, even boast, of stealing from your employer. Sorry mate but I'm not impressed.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Brew said:

I have a couple of those in the loft along with Brownie box cameras, a clockwork movie camera and other assorted paraphernalia plus a wooden plate camera. No idea why I keep them.

;). Sounds like you're the same as me, Brew.   Mine isn't in the Attic its in a closet taking up space.  An old Canon Ftb 35mm camera.  A Canon 8mm movie camera.  Not wind up though.  Slide and movie projectors.  Various used routers.  Etc etc etc.. I should dump'em but I just can't do it.  I guess my kids will when I'm gone.

edited for spelling.

An old rag used for a petrol cap?

Whatever happened to those old rags?

Whatever happened to petrol caps?

Me Dad always used to say "Make sure it's got a locking petrol cap?"

What happened to locking petrol caps?

And what happened to all the keys? 

Ooooooo me head hurts just thinking about it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, radfordred said:

An old rag used for a petrol cap?

Whatever happened to those old rags?

When I had my mini van, i lost my fuel cap, or more likely,left it at the petrol station. I stuffed a rag in the hole, on the way down maid Marion way I got pulled by a copper on a motor cycle who proceeded to lecture me on the dangers of such a practice, namely driving around with a sick sticking out of a potential bomb!!!!

Dear me Brew ..i thought my shaking of your hand at Wilford Hill had put that 'aside'.

Alas you harbour ill will towards

me. I don't give a Tinkers Cuss how many of my posts you let slide.

For your information the Chargehand gave all staff at that job in Gainsborough permission to take loose coins home.

Why you would attatch past posts about me leaving a car in Tallaght to crime breakers in an earlier topic this year? And for your upvote Phil...gutted..nowt queer as folk that's for sure.

Brew if i offended you in those posts...that is something YOU are going to have to come to terms with.

Whether you be "impressed".. or not.

I have been accused of being a thief..only once...and i paid Jackson Quinn £10.000 to clear my name in a court of law.

• Like 2

Ian I don’t have enough life or energy left to bear you any sort of will so I’m glad you’re not getting all bent out of shape and upset.

I merely point out what I see as hypocrisy.  Let me explain.

In your reply to remarks I made about travellers you said the pronoun ‘they ‘ is a generalisation and tars everyone with the same brush ( it’s not actually, it’s specific to the subject in the clause) but we’ll go with your definition of a generalisation.

You admit to dumping and old car and walking away leaving someone else to clear up your mess. The intimation in your post was that the car would quickly be stolen –so all the people of Tallaght steal cars do they? Are there are no decent law abiding citizens who would report the scrap car to the authorities who would then have pay for it’s disposal?

Not only does that strike me as anti-social but sounds an awful lot like a generalisation to me mate. 

The coins: Unless the chargehand actually owned the coins he had no authority to give you or anyone else permission to take them and well you know it. Theft is still theft regardless of how many collude in it.  

There, I’ve said my piece and now I’m done.

Coat hanger car ariels I'm sure one in five cars had one? Whatever happened to them, can you still buy them? 

The problem was those retractable ones, they snapped dead easy (guilty) & if you had one each you could play  Olympic style fencing.

If you where ever locked out of your car a coat hanger came in well handy, whatever happened to folk locked out of cars? 

• Like 2

Right mr.Brew..since your disgusting post..i have done some painstaking research involving many cross channel phone calls.

I tracked down Liam who worked for the Employment Agency and he subsequently after much searching found the Lincolnshire Company involved in the despatching of World Cup coins.

I have just had a lenghty and interesting phone call with Mr.Coates.

He was the supervisor and EQUAL PARTNER WITH HIS BROTHER.of the contract to distribute said coins."The tender they put in was low..they got the job and sourced cheap Agency labour.

A daily batch of 100.000 was to be made available for supply".

"They ( him and Brother) allowed staff to take loose coins home"

"WE Had a 50..50 split of the company and profits".

His words Brew ..not mine.

In fact he then said..

"A neighbouring contractor gave the area a terrible name and his employing of illegals was shown on TV by Roger Cook"

"This ian..gave us and locals a bad reputation and a lot of scrutiny by Police.Revenue and Home Office immigration".

Mr.Coates has read your post Brew and said .."Rubbish all staff had FULL permission from owners to take loose scrap coins home "

He then said "if mr.Brew wants any more information...he would happily engage in conversation...with His  Solicitor present".

The phone call has just ended...

I would actually think it appropiate

that this scurrilous post removed by the Admin of this site.

Regards..ian

• Like 1

Interesting, it seems both of you do not understand the nature of the contract you were engaged upon. Note they do not claim ownership of the coins, he and his brother merely had a contract to distribute them on behalf of the legal owner and employed you and others to carry out the work.

100,000 coins to be made available, not supplied by your employer, but made available to them.

You use the term 'loose scrap coins',  strange that they should also be full sets and worth someone paying you 'a score' for them.

Perhaps you should continue your research and speak with said owners and confirm the accuracy of your employers statement.

Not too sure of the neighbouring contractor or the reputation of the area being relevant.

Solicitor? why on earth would he need a solicitor? but my contact details are in my profile should he wish to enlighten me further.

Before that perhaps his solicitor should remind him of this section of the relevant statute:

'Where a person receives property from or on account of another, and is under an obligation to the other to retain and deal with that property or its proceeds in a particular way, the property or proceeds shall be regarded (as against him) as belonging to the other'.

This is a history forum...you seem troubled Brew.

If you need to 'talk' there are organisations available to you.

To unleash your inner problems if you like.

Feel free to PM me..i am a good listener as well as a jabberer!

Have you considered any voluntary work at a local hospital etc...?

I am informed that seeing others in less fortunate states than ourselves..

works wonders in putting Real problems into perspective.

No more on this from me:

I shall return to a postitive posting approach..sharing thoughts and exchanging memories of Nottm.

I also bear you no ill will mr.Brew..my colourful and interesting past dictates that we differ in things.

Good day to you sir.

• Like 1

I think this should stop now gentlemen please, whoever is right or wrong.  The idea of NS is to entertain to  pull up memories of happy childhoods exchange news and generally cheer each other up, lets get back to what we all do best and exchange gossip.

• Like 5

Ian I have said I bear ill will to no one, it's corrosive and achieves nothing. Talking down to people doesn't do much for me either.

As for my voluntary work I did exactly that until recently and have posted about the experience in this forum.

I won't be taking up your kind offer of PMing, my inbox is almost full with comments about our little discussion already but I thank you for the invite.

Good day to you too

• Like 1
On 5/4/2018 at 12:03 PM, Brew said:

I have a couple of those in the loft along with Brownie box cameras, a clockwork movie camera and other assorted paraphernalia plus a wooden plate camera. No idea why I keep them.

Brew: If you have a pre '56 or post '63 model 127 I might be interested in buying them from you.  this website will help to identify them: http://www.brownie-camera.com/6.shtml

On 5/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, radfordred said:

What happened to locking petrol caps?

I can tell you what happened to one of my locking petrol caps - thieving bastards prised it off using some kind of jemmy and damaged my bodywork before nicking my petrol.  that was in Lancashire back in the late 80s. :angry:

Compo,

Probably not the one you're interested in. I tried uploading to the forum but the upload fails every time I try.

I have posted some pics here:

https://ibb.co/j7J63y
https://ibb.co/bBJvwJ
https://ibb.co/iHvxAd
https://ibb.co/dgRnAd
https://ibb.co/iasG3y
https://ibb.co/fEf3iy
https://ibb.co/iBSiiy

See what you think. There are a few more cameras plus odds 'n' sods up there (studio flash, umbrellas etc) but getting me in and them down is... err.. let's say challenging

18 hours ago, Brew said:

Brew: would you be interested in parting with these two at the right price?  They would fit nicely in my little museum. PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Things you dont see anymore...when i was a school girl i used to call in a shop near my school and i could buy all my cookery ingredients in the amounts i needed..such as 4oz butter,2 eggs,and so on..once i needed 4oz whipped cream,believe it or not they had it on little trays,no waste.

No wonder so much stuff is thrown away now.

• Like 1

I must have served you Cranky       which Marsdens did you shop at...........lol