Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

11 hours ago, crankypig said:

benjamin1945

I am not sure of the name of the shop,it was on station road carlton,near a cinema that has long gone.

The only cinema on Station rd. Was the old Regal.  Now you mention it I vaguely think there may have been an old grocery store on the same side a few doors up.  If it was there Ben will know it.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, loppylugs said:

The only cinema on Station rd. Was the old Regal.  Now you mention it I vaguely think there may have been an old grocery store on the same side a few doors up.  If it was there Ben will know it.

Allsebrooks ?

9 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Was that Dave McCay (can’t spell)

Mackay,, proper hard man.........and poor old Billy     both gone now............

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Mackay,, proper hard man.........and poor old Billy     both gone now............

I know it is heresy for a Forrest fan, but that Spurs double team was something else. I once met Danny Blanchflower when I was looking to buy a house in London (Barnet) but we did not buy his and ended up in Southgate because of schools.

• Like 1

This Nottstalgia thing is getting serious. Yesterday I went online to the Forest store and bought my 4 grandkids some shirts from the sale. 2 X 17/18 season at 5 quid each and 2 X 16/17 season at 3 quid each - what a bargain! Trouble is it cost more than that to ship them. 

I already have the polo shirt (its getting a bit washed out) but imagine the 5 of us all kitted out walking down Beale St, singing some very inappropriate song, when they next come to Memphis 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On May 27, 2018 at 8:44 PM, IAN123. said:

Vauxhall at Clifton.

victor.jpg

Sometime around 1973 I came home absolutely broke, owing my bank the equivalent of several months pay and had even had to sell my car. I was waiting for a job in Iran to open up and urgently needed a stop gap. I looked in the Evening Post for a job with a car and got one working for a “marketing” company selling pencils and crayons to local post offices and shops around the country. We would be put together in teams of 6 salesman and a manager and we would hit an area and saturate it for a week. The manager was given a Granada Ghia and the salesmen had Vauxhall Victor’s just like that pale blue one. We would load up with stock on a Friday night and sell from that stock during the week on a commission only basis. One week I earn’t 6 pounds, the next 300 pounds unbelievable in 1973 but I didn’t last long in the job.

• Like 3

Fish, chips, mushy peas, batter bits and a Vimto! 

I was working around the house and the wife was watching a Netflix movie and I heard “Vimto”. Do they still sell Vimto’s 

• Like 1

Vimto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

I could never drink the stuff as the name reminded me of Vim scouring powder which was always kept at the side of the kitchen sink and smell awful of bleach.

My idea of heaven, though, was otherwise like yours - fish, chips, mushy peas, batter bits.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, jonab said:

Vimto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

I could never drink the stuff as the name reminded me of Vim scouring powder which was always kept at the side of the kitchen sink and smell awful of bleach.

My idea of heaven, though, was otherwise like yours - fish, chips, mushy peas, batter bits.

I like the monument at Manchester University. I suppose they need that because no person of note who ever went there!

• Like 1

Precisely ! We had a young Electrical Engineer straight from that Uni  at Plessey in the early 70's . Full of nonsensical ideas, and hadn't even used an electric drill ! 

• Like 2
On 4/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, jonab said:

Watney's Red Barrel - draught or canned.

I have heard though, that it is being resurrected.

As long as I don't have to drink it

I wouldn't drink this **** it if it were only 50p a pint :P

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

As long as I don't have to drink it [Watney's Red Barrel]

I wouldn't drink this **** it if it were only 50p a pint :P

Agreed, it is terrible stuff but here in Scotland there is are even worse brews: Tnnent's and McEwan's ales and lagers!

On 6/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

If the main frame is intact I would first get the name off the smoke hood and have a google and if that proves me right I certainly would.

It's a Valor Minor.  Problem is that there are some bits missing.  They could be lying around the hiouse somewhere so if I get back this summer I shall take a look for the missing parts.  It is not all that old - still being made in teh 1960s.  In good nick worth about £35-40ish.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2018 at 2:59 PM, Martyn said:

I like the monument at Manchester University. I suppose they need that because no person of note who ever went there!

Mrs Col worked for a while at the Nichols plant in Haydock, which is in St Helens Boro, just a bit south and west of Golborne, where there was evidently a Vimto Plant. Nichols owned Vimto at the time and the Haydock sdite was known to all as 'The Vimto'.. though I can't establish whether they actually made the stuff there.

no person of note who ever went there!

I think you might need to revise that opinion somewhat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Manchester_people

I'm sad to say I didn't go there.  I chose instead, Manchester Poly. now MMU.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Mrs Col worked for a while at the Nichols plant in Haydock, which is in St Helens Boro, just a bit south and west of Golborne, where there was evidently a Vimto Plant. Nichols owned Vimto at the time and the Haydock sdite was known to all as 'The Vimto'.. though I can't establish whether they actually made the stuff there.

I think you might need to revise that opinion somewhat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Manchester_people

I'm sad to say I didn't go there.  I chose instead, Manchester Poly. now MMU.

DJ, I know, I was only being a smartar*** about the monument to the bottle. I like you went to a Poly but in Plymouth 

• Like 1

I remember the Rag Mag very well - it was always full of old, worn-out jokes!

:rotfl:

It could be quite radical though; having articles about social injustice and the Students' Union fighting for just causes.  I imagine these days it would be more about fighting for counselling rights for stressed, overworked and hard-done-by students though....or am I being too cynical?

• Like 1