Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Its the good life

In the winter after snow we would sledge down the slag heaps over New Bridge by Radford Pit and in the summer would trolly down the embankment next to the railway  by Western Boulevard bridge.

Ian, 

After all that lead stripping have you had your blood checked 

• Like 2

It was Bejam that predated Iceland!

When I worked in Kent (78 - 82), it was at a factory next door to Batchelors where they made Vesta meals.

I could never contemplate ever eating one of their offerings having smelled and seen inside the place.

• Like 2

The same could be said for a lot of places. I once did a contract job at a well known pork pie manufacturer in Nottingham  who shall remain nameless. I have never touched one of their products since. Some of the things I saw were beyond belief.

• Like 1

Ian123 said: "Barricades made from ration boxes."

Reminds me of my days at Plessey Telecomms.  A section leader had an open plan room so to satisfy his sense of self importance he built a barricade of empty boxes between himself and the workers.  Each Friday evening a bunch of us working on overtime in the next room would dismantle his castle and stack the boxes in a corner.  On the following Monday the wall would appear agin.  This went on for several months - I've no idea who he thought might have been undermining his sense of self importance ............. We nicknamed him "Adrian Swall"

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The top one,  remember coming home in the early hours  after a long trip back from Manchester with the missus and my son, a big lad, asleep in the back. Got cut up on the island just before turning into our estate and flashed the guy. Heard him do a handbrake turn up the road and follow me in.

I got out with the wheel lock dangling from my hand as my son woke up and lumbered out of the back seat.... smell of burning rubber .... Bye!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

College scarves.

When I was a student (1960's) it was de rigueur to wear a scarf (in all weathers) that represented the college you attended. I can't see that being acceptable now!

7 hours ago, jonab said:

College scarves.

When I was a student (1960's) it was de rigueur to wear a scarf (in all weathers) that represented the college you attended. I can't see that being acceptable now!

Long white boots very short denim shorts add skimpy top .......and your scarf very proudly worn by both sexes.

On 15 June 2018 at 7:50 PM, Martyn said:

Its the good life

In the winter after snow we would sledge down the slag heaps over New Bridge by Radford Pit and in the summer would trolly down the embankment next to the railway  by Western Boulevard bridge.

Ian, 

After all that lead stripping have you had your blood checked 

I still feel the pain when a friend and myself were on a high speed run in my 'soap box' cart. The steering rope broke so I lost control and we ploughed into the blackberry bushes at the side of new bridge leading down to St Peters Street. Nettled and cut to bits. Total agony to move but no choice. Still in a cold sweat thinking about it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gem said:

Long white boots very short denim shorts add skimpy top .......and your scarf very proudly worn by both sexes.

I never wore white boots or a denim skirt. I'll admit to a scarf.

• Like 1

That white boots and denim shorts/skirt and skimpy top thing is a new one on me!

I can't imagine myself wearing white boots or a skirt or a skimpy top although, some years later I did have a pair of maroon coloured platform sole boots which matched my carpetbagger trousers.

• Like 1

If my memory servers me correctly the White boots were made of PVC and fit very tightly to your calf they seemed to go with the Nancy Sinatra song "These Boots Were Made for Walking" don't forget Hot Pants also  this is when Long Skirts and long dresses made a come back, plus bright pink blouses with Frills on, most if  the skirts were made of velvet with a slit up to just past your knee then the rest of the seem had gold buttons on. silly  "Not real Gold" of cause,

I think this is when "Bother hood of Man" won the euro vision song contest maybe date early 1970s.

PS will we not have euro song contest when we leave Europe?    just thought I would ask

Just a bit more was this when "hippes" and purple hearts  came on the scene

• Like 1

Oh yes Mary great days, my friend we thought they'd never end,,we'd sing and dance forever and a day''  set me up for the day Gel,,:rolleyes:

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, IAN123. said:

A salon scene.I23998034745_958f3a300e_b.jpg

I would like to know which salon this was  if any of you have any idea's, when I started work in a salon we had cubicle's and we had to call the stylist Miss Brown  or Mrs Smith we were not allowed to call them by their first name, how times change. Later on these little salon's which did not keep up with real price,  wages, and unisex salons. some of the hairstylist  would call them "Sweaty Betty's"  I trained 3 years app then two years as an improver and all we were paid was £5 00 a week we had to rely on Tips to boost up our wages.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, IAN123. said:

1964-mods-rockers.jpgA scene outside a Locarno or Capitol every Saturday night.

This one is 1964.

Mods and Rockers what a smashing hair style the chap has. Ian was there more than one Locarno as I only know the one that was at the bottom of St Ann's Well Road. I think this is a picture house as you can see the ABC 

mary1947, I think we're in a different era with the boots and skimpy whatevers. My recollections date pre-1964 and are specifically about students in higher education. Both regarded each other with disdain - which became worse post-1964(ish).

Only one Locarno Mary      Teenbeat tuesday nights 60/61  admission 1/6,, Italian Suit,,Winkle Pickers,,Hair like Billy Fury,,splash of Old Spice,, and away we went,, fast music early on ''bit of rock'n roll''  slow dances last knockings,,       ''Oh Pretty Baby,let me hold you in my arms''      and the floor moved beneath your feet........lol

• Like 2

Don't worry Mary, we are not leaving Europe, we are leaving the European Union and if Eurovision Song Contest is your thing, then the fact that Israel and Australia are included confirms that the organisers are not too bothered anyway!

It still means that the UK will get few votes as usual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1