Things you don't see anymore

13 minutes ago, Bubblewrap said:

I have had younger people (usually a good looking woman :P ) give up their seat on the tram at least four times since I moved to Nottingham last year & I'm only 69( but having a walking stick does help )

Not always it don.t.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, IAN123. said:

Don't see Smog anymore:

What a great atmospheric picture Ian, I remember those days well.

On our first visit back after emigrating the pits were still working and many homes had coal fires you could smell and taste the coal smoke in the air.

• Like 1

Yes Ian, and I bet a lot of that smog was inside the bus from the Park Drive and Woodbine ciggies. Remember that the white painted ceilings of the upstairs on buses very quickly went yellow with the smoke and the downstairs ceiling stayed white.

• Like 1

I used to catch an early moring bus to town and another out of town to my school. During the winter months I would take a seat and press the palm of my hand onto the window to make patterns, after  a while one could clear enough ice to enable you to see out of the window. You don't see ice on the inside of bus windows these days though.

• Like 2

Scrimshaws sausages.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:57 AM, Compo said:

I used to catch an early moring bus to town and another out of town to my school. During the winter months I would take a seat and press the palm of my hand onto the window to make patterns, after  a while one could clear enough ice to enable you to see out of the window. You don't see ice on the inside of bus windows these days though.

Cos buses have doors fitted nowadays Compo !  smile2

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Rain.

I've fetched my washing in because we're supposed to be getting some rain late evening/overnight.   I think I'll go in the garden and just stand in it to get a bit cooler!  

Three quarters of an hour ago I just managed to get my full line of washing pegged out . The last three items to hang and the heavens opened. It's still there and will be there until it dries. The cold wet grass felt so good on my bare feet!!!!!!!!!Sorry Benj  :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

Its ok carnie,,its only mens feet i don't like.........i'm sure yours are lovely  :)

• Like 1

I always worried about my feet. When I stand up they only just reach the ground, lucky or what?

• Like 3
On 7/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, IAN123. said:

Indoor League.69628202_fred-in-his-pomp.jpgBar Billiards and Arm Wrestling.

"Ah'll sithee!"

Did you know Fred was almost one of us ?.........on his birth certificate it states ''Born in the counties of Yorks and Notts,,

My dad was a big fan of Fiery Fred. He was born and brought up in Sheffield. After returning from WWII lived the remainder of his life in Nottingham.  Anyone remember Brian Close? Always stood so close to the bat when fielding that he frequently became a casualty.

• Like 2

Brian Close a real tough-nut,,remember England re-calling him to face them great West Indian fast bowlers of the 60s.....Hall and Gilchrist......was hit all over, his body covered in bruises,,no crash helmets back then,,they even appealed for a catch at 3rd slip off his head........

• Like 2

Signs in boarding house windows:

No blacks

No Irish

No dogs

I remember seeing these even as late as the 1960's in boarding houses on Shakespeare St.

A regular motorway sight years ago was bus chassis being delivered in this way too, freezing weather in the rain ? Sod that !

Just like this lunatic !   Suicide jockeys.

200198976_59858ff08c_b.jpg

7421072142_df87e9f183_b.jpg

• Like 1

Wetherby Services southbound  two weeks ago. 

'ere's summat as yer don't see anymore....A nice Meccano set:

42866480704_0f5e1f92a9_c.jpg

• Like 2