Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We had meat safes that looked much like mesh fencing masks (domed oval things) and I remember prancing around holding one of these things to my face fighting an imaginary dragon with a poker.

My granny had a 'luxury' version which was like a free-standing wooden cupboard with all the sides comprising a perforated zinc mesh.

We also had a 'slab' in the pantry - a large stone shelf which was supposed to keep things cool by absorbing heat. I don't think it did much really.

Our first 'fridge was an enormous Morphy Richard thing in cream with a green edging. It took up about a third of the space in the kitchen. I remember it was guaranteed for five years and, as expected it failed a few weeks after the guarantee ran out. Our next 'fridge was rented from Wigfalls. It took up only a tiny fraction of the space of the previous 'fridge but seemingly had the same capacity.

It looks to me by the descriptions of the 'Meat Safe' from you all, that they were all similar. Grandmas was embedded in the wall, all you really saw was the mesh door on the front. It was completely sealed apart from the door. I imagine the cold earth would be what kept the contents cool.

The last time I saw it was probably around 1966/8 so my memory might not be to accurate. Grandma went to live in a wardened flat behind the big church at the bottom of Carlton Hill around that time so I never went to the house again. I have Googled the house, and drove by when I have been back to Gedling but it is now overgrown with trees and large shrubs. No chance of looking to see if there is any thing left of the safe.

6 hours ago, Commo said:

smooth them out by running a halfpenny round and round on the inside of the top, made them skim even better!

Commo, I've never tried that. I tell you what though,  I'm still pretty cool at getting a good distance with my skimming any road.:biggrin:

Miss Muffet toilet rolls - sold in a posh box with a drawing of Miss Muffet sitting on her tuffet and a damned great spider dangling down. Despite all this, the paper resembled coarse sandpaper - as did Izal toilet paper but that only had a paper wrapper and the 'luxury' of smelling of tar disinfectant.

Izal toilet rolls 11d        Bravo 6d     Andrex  2/6        Dixel  1/11    Petal 1/6     all circa  1960 Marsdens,,

Bravo rolls were of similar sandpaper texture to Miss Muffet. Andrex, Dixcel were said to be so weak that your fingers poked through them. I don't recall Petal.

Yes jonab Bravo were the rough cheapo's.........Petal were a twin pack made by Bowater-Scot who also made Andrex.

Two Lancasters sharing the same bit of sky

DSCF4346.jpg

Rog, (I hope I'm not posting too quick for our slower readers  slywink )

• Like 5
On 9/2/2018 at 2:11 AM, IAN123. said:

the Nuns gave me raw lumps of turnip as a punishment.

Is there any wonder they are now being judged as child abusers!  I was scared of the Jesuit priests that visited our school - it usually meant a beating-up for at least a few of us boys but most of all I hated the nuns. I'm sure they had to pass a sadist test in order to teach.

I think I've previously mentioned a chap I worked with many years ago, Malcolm Kennedy, now passed on, whose parents, although not Roman Catholics, sent him to St Joseph's Prep School on Derby Road. He told the most awful tales of cruelty from the sisters and, although he would have been approaching retirement when I knew him, was unable to walk past a nun if he saw one in the street. He had to cross the road and thus put as much distance as possible between them. He said he still had nightmares about his time at the school. Very sad.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, IAN123. said:

Remember these?..Strepsils big Brother.m_Pd_Ajt_LPUZd_IU2_S7_COfl_Ew.jpg

On 9/4/2018 at 8:26 AM, IAN123. said:

Think these were Crookes( Boots.)

I wonder if those BP products are still available..witchazel, surgical spirit, calamine etc..

Strepsils were Boots - I knew the manager of the Strepsils section at Beeston. He had a permanent Strepsils smell about him. His wife worked in the cosmetic development labs - she smelled of Strepsils as well.

Tussils were made in a separate part of the Strepsils factory as they contained a drug, dextromethorphan, to relieve cough whereas Strepsils were (are) just mildly antiseptic with amylmetacresol and 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol.

28 minutes ago, jonab said:

Tussils were made in a separate part of the Strepsils factory as they contained a drug, dextromethorphan, to relieve cough whereas Strepsils were (are) just mildly antiseptic with amylmetacresol and 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol.

I was just thinking the same thing jonab

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, jonab said:

Strepsils were Boots - I knew the manager of the Strepsils section at Beeston. He had a permanent Strepsils smell about him. His wife worked in the cosmetic development labs - she smelled of Strepsils as well.

Well, I'll ga to ourouse, I never knew that !

• Like 1

For some strange reason Strepsils were a shoplifters favourite, remember a very smartly dressed chap,,nicking 10 packs at Toton coop,,turned out he had a very good job,,had to leave his flash 4x4 in the coop car park,,whilst being taken to the Cop shop,,taint always the chavs,,