Things you don't see anymore

Sorry you got a lemon Sue.  We didn't seem to see the same ones too often.  Biggest problem as they aged was that the main bearings would go.  They would get noisy first and if folks didn't report it early they would collapse.  Result, a wet kitchen floor, and a VERY expensive repair as the tub, its bearings and the drum would have to be replaced.  That meant a day's work in the shop.  We couldn't do it in the home.  A lot of folks dumped 'em at that point and bought something else rather than put a lot of money into an old machine.  

Sometimes I think my main bearings are going.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We had a secondhand Hoover Keymatic when we were first married.  The bearings went so my husband went to the Hoover factory at Wembley and bought the parts needed.  Bigger job than he initially imagined as he had to remove big concrete blocks first.   It kept going for a while longer, til we could afford a new machine, didn’t buy another one of those though.  

• Like 2

He did well to do it at all, Lizzie.  That is not a job for the faint hearted.  Have to take off the drive pulleys and split the drum apart, before you can remove the tub and take the bearings out.  That's why we wouldn't attempt it in someones house.

• Upvote 1

He will attempt to repair anything rather than spend a lot of money on new Loppy, always been the same.  Summat to do with growing up with nothing, big family, working on a chicken farm after school at the age of 8, to get money to buy sweets.  He’s still working now, at nearly 75 and that work ethic has been passed on to our boys fortunately, just hope they don’t all burn themselves out. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Well that work ethic is getting to be something we don't see so much of anymore.  He sounds like me.  I'll have a go at anything.  Crawling under cars, fixing appliances.  I even built a sunroom on the back of our house.  Got it inspected and everything done right.  Truth is I'm cheap!  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well done to him Lizzie. He's doing brilliantly despite several ailments you've mentioned over the years. 

I worked for 49 years, and enjoy my retirement, but I still try and do many jobs myself. Not just to save money, but to keep me fit mentally and physically. 

I love doing anything constructive such as making my own trellis's in the garden. They're much better than those flimsy things from garden centres. Also where possible fencing. Bricklaying too on my raised beds (I should have gone into construction from school) 

I'm not over keen on DIY, but anything in the garden definitely. 

Keep working as long as possible folks, as the benefits are endless. It certainly stops me from vegetating and becoming an irritable old sod !

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Someone's got to compensate for the idle beggars who just want to sit in their fat backsides nonna ! 

Too many just see retirement as an excuse to do nothing worthwhile and hope to be mollycoddled for the rest of their days !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mum had a Hoover keymatic. I can remember using it but can't remember if it had any problems. Our washer went kaput last week. Replaced it with an Akai. We've come to the conclusion that domestic appliances aren't built to last , so let's see how long this Japanese appliance lasts. Has to be better than Chinese .

Well said Fly. Here as long as you've worked 35 yrs you can retire. So there's a lot of them just sitting around the bars playing cards all day long, not drinking apart from the extra communitarian 's who have never worked here and do not intend to have full time work. I don't know how they get by , there's no dole handout here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We had a Hoovermatic twin tub. It worked for a couple of years (until it was out of guarantee) then the 'impeller' stopped moving although the motor could be heard working.

I looked at the workings and found that the tub of the machine had dropped down so that there was no tension on the drive belt. It looked as if the tub had been attached with something akin to Evostik which had just given up its adhesive properties. We contacted Hoover who said that the machine was irreparable. I said that was b*ll*cks and I repositioned the tub and reattached it using bolts - as should have been done in the first place. The machine lasted another six years.

EDIT: Nothing marked Hoover was allowed in the house after that - those machines weren't cheap and the attitude to our complaint was completely unacceptable.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Well done to him Lizzie. He's doing brilliantly despite several ailments you've mentioned over the years. 

I worked for 49 years, and enjoy my retirement, but I still try and do many jobs myself. Not just to save money, but to keep me fit mentally and physically. 

I love doing anything constructive such as making my own trellis's in the garden. They're much better than those flimsy things from garden centres. Also where possible fencing. Bricklaying too on my raised beds (I should have gone into construction from school) 

I'm not over keen on DIY, but anything in the garden definitely. 

Keep working as long as possible folks, as the benefits are endless. It certainly stops me from vegetating and becoming an irritable old sod !

Are you sure about the last sentence, FLY?    Sorry, I don't mean it really,  I just couldn't resist saying it x

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I saw a program recently that showed that you are lucky if you get five years out of an appliance these days.  They don't want appliances like Mrs L's dryer, which is still going strong after twenty years.  I replaced a control on our stove recently, but while checking for the part online I found that the glass top is no longer available.  So if that goes it's off to the dump.  Ridiculous!

Re. retirement.  I think we should stay as active, mentally and physically as we can.  I'd rather wear out than rust out.

• Like 2

Margie ! I'm distraught. Sympathy needed now folks, or I'll play the hard done to martyr, and that we don't need !

Ok, ok, you're forgiven !....... Just.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I saw a program recently that showed that you are lucky if you get five years out of an appliance these days.

Planned obsolescence, if they made them to last who would need to buy new one?

In part it's what killed the machine tool industry,  when sixty and even seventy year old lathes/drills/millers still worked why replace them?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Panic over everyone saw Paddy Tipping on the news today fears of his alien abduction have been proved groundless  We can all sleep safely in our beds He is back at the helm as we all sail along on the good ship Titanic  meeowed

• Upvote 1

Maybe the "ALIANS"would like him

On 9/27/2018 at 6:41 AM, FLY2 said:

I love doing anything constructive such as making my own trellis's in the garden.

The sheep shed at my former workplace had a problem with pigeons nesting in the open roofspace above the sleeping and eating quarters. The solution was to put a net over the area, which necessitated construction of a wooden framework to hold the net. When the building was converted to a storage block the old wooden frame was taken out. I promptly scavenged it for use as trellises in the garden. It was sturdy 1"x1½" timber and made good trellises.

• Like 1

There is a large sub-station next to what was the Locarno on St Anns Well road. At one time it was a generating site so quite high, forty feet or so and prone to pigeons roosting in the rafters. They were a bit a problem, pooing all over the switchgear and making the terrazzo floor quite slippy.

Along comes long pod, a fitters mate, with his air rifle and volunteered to clear them by sitting in the gantry crane and shooting them. Forty or so panes of glass later they decided maybe it was not such a good idea.

• Like 3
On 9/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, Compo said:

Here's summat as we might have still been seeing if Germany had won the war. Christmas decorations sent to the occupying forces in Norway during WWII:

35156066436_86b13337fa_b.jpg

thought Hitler only had one :P

• Like 3
On 9/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, LizzieM said:

Wish I’d looked under the mattress a few years ago ........ these went out of circulation 4 years ago! 

209_CCDBA-126_E-465_A-_B33_C-_E5_DE1396_

The bank wqill still change them IF they're real :P

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted in an hotel lobby in Spain last week.  Not seen one of these machines for a few years over here but remember years ago they were positioned outside newsagents/tobacconists shops.   Now all the cigarettes are hidden away in cupboards behind shop counters.   

F5-C02-DF8-05-FB-483-A-B74-E-91-E68726-E

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Now all the cigarettes are hidden away in cupboards behind shop counters.   

And they are all in near-identical plain packets, with massive lettering telling you that you're going to die.

And they cost at least £10 for a pack of 20.