Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I think colour blindness is carried on the X chromosome, so is handed on via the mother, much like haemophilia.

It’s my understanding that males are haemophiliac and if they father girls then those girls are likely to have haemophiliac boys.   I have a friend whose husband was haemophiliac, he was sadly given HIV infected blood years ago and died.  They had two daughters together and she’s said that if their girls have boy babies they will be haemophiliac and if they have girl babies they will carry the gene.  Dreadful to have that hanging over your head.  

You don't see kids scratching their bottoms due to their mums using those horrible and irritating new fangled biological washing powders, such as Bold and Ariel that came out in the late 50's, early 60's. They made ones nether regions itch something chronic !:sorry:

The first time my mum used Bold, I amused her by saying that it feels like I've got beetles in my bottom ! 

I think she washed my underwear in something more sympathetic from then on !

• Like 2

Your Mum probably switched to Lux soap flakes,,anyone remember them?   do they still make em?  Mam always had a box in,, most likely for me 'Liberty Bodices'  lol

• Like 1

Mam always washed woollens with it. As far as I can remember it was quite a bit more expensive than Persil

It was more expensive from all the normal soap powders and Detergents,,along with Dreft,,might have been for woollens,, thought it was for more delicate items like undies........anyway never got the 'Scratches''   lol

My mum used Lux for jumpers but Sunlight Soap on collars of shirts. I've seen something called Granny's Soapflakes in various shops. It has a picture of an elderly woman on the box. Ey up...if we can't have Mansize Tissues, Granny's Soapflakes has to go.  It's sexist!

Stergene was the ultimate in 'gentle' washing products. It was a liquid sold in an oval bottle.

Just Googled it and found that Stergene is still available.

It was one of the earliest synthetic detergents available for home fabric washing.

Anyone remember 'Luvil' washing powder ?............it came out in the 60s,,manufactured by Lever bros i think,,,it did'nt last long,, but saw it in a shop in Spain a few years ago..........

Well just read last few post of this topic and they say chivalry is dead not on  Nottstaigia when five of our men members talk about washing powder,

well done you five  there's no chauvinism here on NOTTSTAIGIA,

PS Don't for get Sunlight soap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I cam remember Lux soap flakes, my mum always used Persil. Sometimes it wouldn’t dissolve and would go into lumps. Can remember my gran had a wash house outside the kitchen door. Monday was washing day, she used to have a copper whic I am sure she used to lite. Her mangle was in there as well, got my fingers caught in that a few times. Can remember the small of soap. She never took to new fangled  washing machines even though my dad bought her one. She said they clothes weren’t cleaned properly.

• Like 2

We had a copper boiler in the kitchen. Gas fired. My mum loved it and said she boiled all the terry nappies in it and they came out sparkling white. My mum had no time for washing machines. Dolly tub and mangle when I was a child. Robin starch and wooden ironing board with asbestos pad for the iron. Wooden clothes horse in front of the fire. Washing took all day.

• Like 2

Can’t remember what soap she used could it have been sunlight but can remember the smell I loved it. She had a big stick and used to stir the copper and push the clothes down as well whilst standing on a stool. So glad for my washing machine.

My mum had a 'dolly peg' which was a broom handle with a circular wooden thing on the bottom, which had 3 thick pegs coming out of it to stir the washing in the dolly tub with.

• Like 1