Things you don't see anymore

Can't help feeling we were all more content before technology got hold of us. There again we wouldn't be able to post on Nottstalgia. The sad thing is that the younger generation never knew the ways we older ones enjoyed life before the internet took over.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

"HELP"

I'm getting lost with all this technology. I have this thing called a smart phone and it keeps telling me to download APPS.  How many apps are their my phone will only stand so many, as for "Google"  three times it's telling me to change things. 

Maybe you have to get a course  at university get your Cert head then yon can sit on the tram your fingers  will type faster,   you know then you have cracked it.

Was it not better to pick up the phone?  can you remember "It's Good To Talk"

Mary, there's a series of books out called...'An Idiots Guide' to various things. I'm not for one moment suggesting you're an idiot.

Ive got an Idiots Guid to iPad, but I never made it past the first chapter.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think most of the apps can be ignored Mary.  If you don't want to download them you don't have to.  A lot of them contain spyware anyway.

I don't have much time for Google either.  I find if my phone, tablet etc is working to my satisfaction why mess with it.

I keep most of it at arms length.  I don't need it.  You can always ask on here if in doubt there are a few computer savvy folks on here who can probably help you if you are in doubt about something.  Don't allow yourself to be rushed by this stuff.

• Upvote 1
On 10/31/2018 at 11:18 PM, mary1947 said:

I’ve spent nearly all my life typing (and still need to type daily as we’re still running a business here) and when I get an email, usually a long interesting catch-up email, I decide to answer it ‘soon’ but never get around to it.  Instead I will pick up the phone and call that friend who I haven’t seen for months or years.  We chat for an hour or more and I love it.   Texting is ok if there is no time to talk but I much prefer to have a proper chat.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Agreed Lizzie.  I use texting to open up a conversation, but if I need to say more than a few words, I call.  I'm now getting unlimited texts and unlimited 'minutes', plus 8 gig data, for about £8 per month .  It's good to talk. :)

On 10/31/2018 at 11:18 PM, mary1947 said:

"HELP"

I'm getting lost with all this technology. I have this thing called a smart phone and it keeps telling me to download APPS.  How many apps are their my phone will only stand so many, as for "Google"  three times it's telling me to change things. 

Maybe you have to get a course  at university get your Cert head then yon can sit on the tram your fingers  will type faster,   you know then you have cracked it.

Mary, you don't actually 'need' any more apps than those that came pre-installed on your phone. In fact you may not even need all of those.

You don't need to download anything you don't want.  There are millions of 'Apps' out there.  Some might be useful to you, most won't.  It's up to you what you download.

Also, Apps will ask (demand) access to your location, your files, your contacts or whatever.  It's up to you whether you give it.

There are 'good' apps.  For e.g, one app I have is from Panasonic and allows my camera to 'talk' to my phone via Wi-Fi, or 'Bluetooth'.

Another one records my distance walked ( so long as I have my phone with me), which is helpful for my fitness training.

The rest.. I don't bother with.

Have fun!!

Col

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sparklets Beer Taps

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I've spent nearly all my life typing 

Eeee Lizzie! Your hands must be dropping off by now! :wacko:     sorry....couldn't resist!

• Upvote 1

The Sparklet's Beer Tap I had was made for fitting onto 'Party Seven' type cans and could be adjusted to fit the 4 pint size.  It used the standard small sized CO2 cylinder, same type as used for lighter gas and now seen all over the streets after silly kids have inhaled the Nitrous Oxide ( laughing gas) which is supplied in them.  I threw mine out a few years back, but still have the special sized can opener, which placed a hole further in from the rim than you'd get from the older type intended for 'Schweppes' cans of soda or tonic etc.

I have a couple of glass Soda syphons in the loft, but they're not special. Must be loads about. I used to get one from the pub for the price of the deposit, and when empty, the Landlady would 'sell me' another in exchange. Father in Law had a blue glass one in a display cabinet.. dunno what happened to that..

Mileage indicators. Those sliding cards with little windows that show place to place distances. Just found one given as a freebee by Seaspeed Hovercraft. It bears a map of Europe with distances between all major cities. It has conversion table on the back and instructions of what you need when motoring abroad....Hmmm....could be up to date again next year :biggrin:  There is an interesting little box to fill in at the bottom .

TO SAVE TIME AT CUSTOMS.  

Engine No.................................................  

Chassis No...........................................  

• Upvote 1

LizzieM   please don't take comment wrong way (it's good to talk) just a phase we all remember from TV adds. ps Don't for get to send your Christmas Cards.

7 hours ago, mary1947 said:

LizzieM   please don't take comment wrong way (it's good to talk) just a phase we all remember from TV adds. ps Don't for get to send your Christmas Cards.

I didn’t take your comment the wrong way Mary :biggrin:

As for sending Christmas cards, I haven’t bought any yet but shall do so soon.  I used to send over 100 but the list is slowly dwindling as people die off ......  I will always write cards and post them, despite the cost of postage stamps.  I can’t abide e-cards and view folk who send them as lazy and mean, “oh, I’m not sending Christmas cards this year, I’m donating that money to Charity”. Well I do both.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...