Things you don't see anymore

I still have a pack of "Blick" Lettraset. If you scroll back through these pages you will find a photo of it somewhere.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Soemone mentioned British Passports a page or two back.  Also in photo: An iron bedstead spanner and a button hook.............

IMG_2116

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Compo said:

Anyone remember these?

IMG_2014

They look like tawses. They were used for beatings in Scottish schools but I don’t think the barbaric practice came south of the border. Just the good old English cane. There were some sadists in the teaching profession who took pleasure in inflicting pain on small children. Now you just reason with them! European Court of Human Rights.

Mr Smith Music teacher at Padstow had the one in the middle,,he kept it on a Radiator and he named it Larry,,i suffered from its force,,and daft as it sounds i liked Mr Smith,,

Edit,, looking back i reckon most of our male teachers owned a ''Strap''

• 2 weeks later...

Cracker Barrel cheese - Canadian Cheddar in stick form - similar to how butter is sold in the USA. Two types, one in blue foil and one in fed foil. I quite liked it.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Our general science teacher had the tawse in the middle. He named it "Willy". His threat to misbehaving boys was "If you don't behave I will get my Willy out to you, boy!" This always caused a roar of laughter and the misbehaving ceased, pronto.  Of course, he would be locked up for such a comment in today's snowflake society.

Spotted these service plates on a wall in Wick the other day. Note the real measurements from pre-EU days. I know that the "H" was a hydrant but anyone know what the "S" was?:

706_46cb843f-2369-43fa-a1c5-269f7994a215

706_d2bb3d39-1842-4577-b748-f8470743951b

Here is a couple more pictures for you  Compo, showing hydrant posts and stop valves ,

hydrant.jpg

hydrant2.jpg

On them you can see that the distance measurement to the main is the same. they were installed by the Water Board so as to enable them to isolate different sections of water main to enable them to work on them, such as to repair leaks, hope that helps.

• Like 1

Re the service plates: SV is stop valve so I think the team have it with 6" sewer, 8½ft away. the plate are close to each other, near the bottom of a steep hill.  Next time I'm down that way I will take a look and see if there is an access hatch 8½ft away in the road.

Indeed it does, Phil. I tmay be a pipe from a block of old houses on the roadside. My septic tank pipework is 6" and was designed to cope with the waste ffrom the station and two cottages.

15 minutes ago, Compo said:

Indeed it does, Phil. I tmay be a pipe from a block of old houses on the roadside. My septic tank pipework is 6" and was designed to cope with the waste ffrom the station and two cottages.

Well yes I guess so. Thinking back to the good old days before we were on the mains drainage we had similar diameter pipes and even now we have a 6 inch, 150 yard run down to the mains drain on the lane. There are 4 inspection covers though and I do have a substantial set of drain rods.

Don't I just know it, Phil! When it backs up to the inspection hatch and I have to dig out almost a cubic metre of grunge before I can get my drain rods in!

• Like 2