Things you don't see anymore

My favourite toy in the 1950s. A penny roll of caps (100 shots) and I could clean-up the whole wild west....or the top field anyway :) :

81yDLQQX9--2ONTMDiNC9sucgURHHA_PquZyteVv

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Sandy Anderson's smiddy, down the road in the village. Sadly, Sandy died a couple of years ago and now the shop has been sold, gutted and turned into a "Cottage" by developers.

O_0f5k_AwntLk9tZBwXgA9zLF3tU-t1zEXtnJ-Vr

Bovril cubes can’t find then anywhere, liked them in my stews. Hate Oxo Cubes anything made with them just tastes like Oxo.

12 hours ago, Compo said:

My favourite toy in the 1950s. A penny roll of caps (100 shots) and I could clean-up the whole wild west....or the top field anyway :) :

81yDLQQX9--2ONTMDiNC9sucgURHHA_PquZyteVv

That's the best toy gun wot I 'ave ever seen!!

Nope.  That would be 'Wanna Be Your Man' by the Stones.. but I don't know what became of it..

Unless you count 'Pasadena', by the wonderful 'Temperance Seven.'  But I didn't buy that.  It was given to me by a short lived boyfriend of my late Sis.  Think he was known as 'Buzz'.

I was always in a panic because I was sure 'Whispering Paul McDowell' would miss his cue.... but he never did.

Paul Mc Dowell was more than just the vocalist for the Temp 7.  He was always on telly.   Including ads and stints on 'Porridge'. Died 2016.

The rest were excellent musicians just playing about.  And there were nine of them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McDowell_(actor)

I won one of those cap guns in a Murray mint competition - I was around 7yrs old. We had to guess the number of sweets in a jar. Sneaky little sod that I am I bought a 1/4 and counted them. Found the weight of the sweets less the jar and sometime later there was a nice shiny gun waiting at the newsagents.

• Like 1

When we were Kids.  That was called 'Quick to Seize Opportunities'... or 'Shows Initiative'. Probably called cheating now..

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Hate Oxo Cubes anything made with them just tastes like Oxo.

A hot mug of OXO was just the ticket in the colliery canteen after a hard shift dahn't pit. Cost 3d per mug in my day.

They used to sell OXO drinks at the Highfields boating lake pavilion along with Horlicks, both delicious.

I remember kids buying single Oxo cubes for 1d from the local shop (in the days when they were sold singly from big tins) and eat them, not even bothering to make them into something remotely edible such as a drink.

Some dozy sods have been known to buy OXO cubes thinking they were Cannabis resin! One, a local lad, once bought an OXO as Cannabis and when he discovered what it was he went to the police and complained about the dealer. He was arrested and charged with attempting to buy illegal drugs! 

:rotfl:

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Col (DJ360)...in quite a few of your previous posts I'm not seeing any image. The links to your photo-sharing site don't seem to be working.

You've definitely lived up to the title of the thread.

Well flipping flippity flip!!!  I spent ages getting those pics onto the site.  They are all in my Google Photos and I tried to put them in by creating links.  But that only gives a link in your post and I suspect many people are wary of links. So, I just opened them in Google and did right click 'copy link location', which seemed to put the pics 'in line'.  They were all visible last night.  Now they've gone.  Weird.

I'll try again..

Birthday Card:

WC3har7Ce3HoUw-uXTkPwxhTnUa_lTb7NlHJ_HdQ

And again:

liZILDRT4CXVqq3gJ9cxlAVWxi06q40066Eu2ioJ

School Report:

udpYk_aWEHfKNkzsrQSJ4PLzMRA5f_n_cnzT4MGQ

Edited after Compo's excellent advice.  :)

Col

Front room fireplaces like this. This one was in my current house when I moved in.  Tried to get replacement tiles to match the missing ones but couldn't find any so I replaced the whole unit with a salvaged Victorian cast iron fire.

3ulSVsNmlWiP91hgdfy-s4KmZpYzGP7L1XpE33h6

Replaced it with this:

sVjoCawkpPZe2e0AYXxNimaJvxcdoGMhbCKRM-xj

• Like 1

Col: The above pictures were put in from Google Photos. Open photo and click "Open link in new tab" go to the new tab and click "Copy image address", then "Insert other media" and put your image address in there.. They seem to stay put when entered this way.

Thanks for that Compo.  I'll try that method:

BOdegFKvs4ozAp26mDXA6N9GK39B-FCvWaAET52X

Seems to work....  :)  So I've edited things above.  Thanks again.

Our first handbill, before we were the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show'.  This was 1968.

-CwGdoJxRU5bfRvgzonvP_RMngqsish5OC7eY0TJ

Looks like somebody (Kev?) has fixed my original posts so now I'm repeating myself.... 

It's not just an age thing.. honest.

It's not just an age thing.. honest

On 11/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, philmayfield said:

They look like tawses. They were used for beatings in Scottish schools but I don’t think the barbaric practice came south of the border. Just the good old English cane. There were some sadists in the teaching profession who took pleasure in inflicting pain on small children. Now you just reason with them! European Court of Human Rights.

They did use them in England, I can assure you. Many a time I've had the strap using the middle 3 prong strap in the picture. I went to Radford boulevard school, 1954 to 1958. Beekay.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:11 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Eeeh Strawberries at 1/2 halfpenny,, them were days................

No Ben, it's one shilling and tuppence ha'penny.

17 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Bovril cubes can’t find then anywhere, liked them in my stews. Hate Oxo Cubes anything made with them just tastes like Oxo.

Stav, you can get Bovril cubes at Tesco, Wait rose or Sainsburys. I often make a Bovril drink before bedtime. Love it with a slice of bread !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Beekay said:

They did use them in England, I can assure you.

Yes, the tawse was used in English schools. I've met several people, including a head teacher during my teaching career, who confirmed it was used on them.  One of my father's teachers at Church Street Schools in Beeston maintained discipline with the aid of a chair leg! Painful.