Things you don't see anymore

32 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Stav, you can get Bovril cubes at Tesco, Wait rose or Sainsburys. 

Thanks for that. Obviously shop at wrong supermarkets, local Asda and Co-op don’t have them. Tesco here I come! 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

One the teachers at my school always used a very large slipper instead of a strap. It must  have been a size 12 or 13. The poor miscreant had to bend over his desk and 'WALLOP' !!

4 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Thanks for that. Obviously shop at wrong supermarkets, local Asda and Co-op don’t have them. Tesco here I come! 

They are normally stocked long with condiments etc., oxo, salts, pepper and the like. Good hunting !!

In my senior school bits would get the cane, they had to go down to the headmaster or the deputy’s room to get it. We also had teachers that rapped your knuckles or palm of your hand with a ruler, one who would throw the blackboard rubber at you (we all learnt to duck) or if you yawned would try to get a piece of chalk in your mouth. If you couldn’t answer a question he would stand next to you with 3 books above your head and would drop them one by one if you kept getting it wrong. Think a lot of his class was concussed some of the time! H&S would have had a field day! 

• Like 2

Just noticed on my last post boys getting the cane  ended up as bits getting the cane, sorry about that made it sound very rude. 

Then it is probably summat at my end. Earlier on today I couldn't get on to the site - "Nottstalgia refused permission to enter site."

Stavertongirl,  If you don't have any luck finding your Bovril, just let me know and I will gladly send you some. All the way from the South coast. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Singing Postman AKA Alan Smethurst was a folk singer/songwriter, born in Bury, Lancashire in 1937, died 2000.  Moving to Sheringham in Norfolk at age two he spent his youth until his late teens in Norfolk before moving to Cleethorpes with his mother where he spent the rest of his life. His songs mostly featured life as it was in Norfolk when he was a boy. Although making money from record sales he became an alcoholic, losing his money to the problem and spent his last years in a Salvation Army hostel.  He was a Lincolnshire postman for twelve years.

I used to have one of his LPs but lent it to someone and you can guess the rest..... :(

The singing nun was treated very badly by her convent. Born in 1933 as Jeanne Paule Deckers she was a singer/songwriter. Her convent treated her very badly and along with censoring all her songs kept the royalties from her work. In the late 1970s, the Belgian governement asked for tax owed, amounting to $63,000. She had too fight the convent to get it sorted out. In 1967, she wrote and performed a song supporting the use of contraception and the Catholic church intervened, preventing a Montreal concert from going ahead. Eventually, in 1985, she committed suicide along with her long time partner, Annie Pecher and they were buried together in the churchyard in Wavre, Belgium.

• Like 1

Found this 1976 Green Shield stamps catalogue amongst the late Mma-in-Law's things:

OWhLKZjToEpZoSWKSgoukxNgZe5t9A4SWB4Cbe92

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

You could..with enough books..get a MK:3 Ford Cortina.

Inside the book is a photo of a Rolls Royce car. It says that any make and model of car can be ordered through Green Shield Spamps - number of books required, on application.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't see,Curly Wurlys. Rebuilt the top 50ft of 'Cadbury s at Framton on Severn and incorporated some of those in the rebuild.

9 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Lincoln biscuits. they were my favourites

Same here. I still remember the green packets.

9 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Proper dunkers Deepdene.

There were some horrible small round biscuits in the 70's. Size of a penny..with a whirl of pink or blue icing on top..Gems??.not nice at all.

Grantham Gingerbreads..putting on weight as i type!!

I think the icing on top of Little Gems was, in fact, sweetened concrete. Cracked a tooth on one.

Grantham gingerbread - always associate that with Goose Fair and mushy peas (not together, of course).

Right now, yes. You can still get Iced Gems, but Lincolns drowned without trace when Crawford's Carlisle factory flooded out on 13th November 2009. By a poignant coincidence my Mam passed away the same day, and i always associate Lincoln biscuits with returning back from shopping trips with Mam.

• Like 1

I got a Saturday job at Woollies on Hyson Green whilst I was at school, I am fairly sure we had an overall to wear think it was turquoise. When I left school I worked there full time until I started at Boots offices on Station Street. Do Saturday jobs still exist now?

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Is this our Ben in his younger days " properly turned out" with that angelic look that will having females swooning over him for the rest of his life , 

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

No upspeak here..and properly turned out!45254740-921476048051763-161441124802625

• Like 2

Certainly is Trogg,,  Marsdens Andover road,,  1960,,

Morning Mrs Williams,, qtr Typhoo,,tin a'Custard and 10 Parkies.....5/3 please,,................Is your Carol going to Locarno tuesday ?  Good,,tell her i'll see her there then,,.......and i'll mek sure she's home by ten......

• Like 3