Things you don't see anymore

6 minutes ago, radfordred said:

You two @benjamin1945 & @trogg will cop it later when the quote previous post police come along later? 

Gone now.........lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Look at all those Mamod steam engines in the glass case, every schoolboys introduction to how steam power worked

Rog

Too many rely on sat navs, and are totally unable to read maps. A ludicrous situation. 

35 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Motorists asking for directions.

When I used to travel on business many years ago, before satnav, I used to stop at a newsagent’s on the outskirts of the town and buy an A to Z. I still have have a cupboard full of them ranging from Accrington to Yeovil!

• Upvote 1

We had  loads for use on Forest's away trips. Alternatively the Good Beer Guide sufficed.

Since you bring up Satnavs, Mick.  Here's something I've always wondered about.  Maybe some of our techie guys might have an answer.  The original satnav has no aerial yet is supposed to be receiving satellite signals.  My tv needs quite a big dish to get signals and it must be accurately set up not moving around.  Modern smartphones with the correct app can now fulfill the role of Satnavs.  A mobile phone does not claim to be connected to a satellite. Sooo.  is it working via a process of triangulation?  If so is that how satnavs have always worked and never connected with a satellite?

Dave I use Here Maps.

http://www.androidtipsandhacks.com/android/here-maps-best-satnav-app-android-free/

Pre downloaded maps on the phone & then uses the phone's built in GPS module as Rog explained. The beauty is this app uses no data & can be used in walking, cycling or driving mode. Works very well.

• Like 1

Not knocking your info, Rog.  The question is still can such a device connect to a satellite?   Especially with the car twisting and turning etc.  when other systems need a carefully aligned dish.  Just doen't quite add up to me.  Part of the unexplained I guess.

Edited to add.  Thanks Mick.  Your response just came in as I responded to Rog.  above.   I'll read over it somemore.

• Like 1

Antennas for those frequencies are only about a half inch long at the most Dave, so it will be inside the case, probably across the top.

• Like 1

I think satalite TV picks up it's signal from one satalite, sat navs pick up signals from more, mine picks up it's signals from five different satalites

Rog

• Like 1

To give an accurate position, you'd need two different satellites at one time, bit like fixing a radio station to track it down by "triangulation", only in that case on the same frequency.

GPS uses two frequencies, one in the 1.2Ghz region and the other at 1.5Ghz region, antennas would be around 1/2 inch long.

Yes satellite tv and radio uses one satellite per service, They are all in geosynchronous orbits, whereas GPS uses low earth orbiting satellites, better known as LEOS.

Couldn't agree more John.......Triangulation on the same frequency absolute must.......and the world just wouldn't be the same without a few Geosynchronous Orbits...........

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

99% of your phone services now go through Geosynchronous satellites, so you're probably right Ben...LOL

• Like 2