Things you don't see anymore

On 2/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, plantfit said:

Look at all those Mamod steam engines in the glass case, every schoolboys introduction to how steam power worked

Rog

Here's an unusual use of a Mamod steam engine. It is attached to a number of Goldenn Virginia tobacco tins and a home-made paddle. It was made during working hours at the Q Test department, Plessey, Beeston in about 1976. This is it steaming on one of Attenborough gravel pits during a lunch break. The final photo is another thing you don't see anymore....a steam pulse-jet engine. Again, home made in the test department. Apologies for th equality of pictures; they were taken from a set of badly damaged slides.

UpmrJYpFvh5Pz49kTcwhvkPnACmY5WUSNqcXPtOb

GNGWbNQ6EUy_Ta-ozB9BX7YOu5oUevrW9wqSPqiU

VY7WLMWcZBu8mhOCKE2ro8hcdmQQnMZ5oNv3_Ntg

Note the use of an old cocoa tin and spray cans in this boat:

KFYcDeKKXdskt1UPHI3COzomUgwDnWFPNnrOELx6

• Like 4
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I’ve got a couple of those Mamod engines in (dare I say it?) my shed. I’m off to have a look. I’ve got a bottle of meths so it will be interesting to see I can get them going. One of them is a traction engine of some vintage. 

• Like 1

You’re not going to believe this! I got the traction engine working with the meths burner but unfortunately knocked over the meths bottle. The spillage  immediately caught fire and before I could get to the hosepipe the shed was well alight. As I had joined my two sheds with a mini shed the other shed swiftly caught fire as well. There was lots of cans of oil and flammable solvents which fuelled the flames. The fire brigade said it was one of the most spectacular shed fires they had ever been to. Just about to call my insurers to discuss the claim. Off out looking for two new sheds this afternoon. Not my lucky day.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Zzzzzzzz  :sleeping: ok, bring on the greenhouse anecdotes.

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Zzzzzzzz  :sleeping: ok, bring on the greenhouse anecdotes. 

Is it PC to say that? should we not be calling them houses of a different hue?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Opaque houses..... That should suit everyone, until you apply the interior whitewash in order to dampen the strong summer  sunlight.

But surely a greenhouse should be a 'caring for the earth' house....

• Upvote 1

Viz magazine advertises All wood greenhouses with no glass.  "No more broken panes from pesky kids throwing stones!" they claim.  

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The Capitol? Bottom of Churchfield Lane. Now a church, I believe.

18 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The Capitol? Bottom of Churchfield Lane. Now a church, I believe.

You're quite right Jill. It is indeed a church. I'm not sure of the exact title but something like the 'kingdom of the 7th day evangelists' and very well attended by the West Indian community. Prior to that it was a Bingo Hall. I looked in the fire door which was open a while back and a very helpful woman let me look around. Still very cinema ish. 

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, meeowed said:

I see Paddy Tipping has surfaced again  He wants cardboard police cars now brilliant is this what they mean by thinking outside the box  meeowed

A cardboard cut out of Paddy Tipping would save us at least £80,000!

22 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

A cardboard cut out of Paddy Tipping would save us at least £80,000!

Yes it would, and the rest ....... all his office staff too.  We could certainly have more coppers on the beat if they did away with that unnecessary post.   

• Like 4

We had a cardboard cut out of a Policeman in a coop,,to put shoplifters off,,  It got Nicked,, lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Yes it would, and the rest ....... all his office staff too.  We could certainly have more coppers on the beat if they did away with that unnecessary post.   

But is the Crime Commissioner an unnecessary post? I may be wrong but I suspect the cost of Paddy Tipping and his office would be less than the costs of the old Police Authority.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TBI said:

But is the Crime Commissioner an unnecessary post? I may be wrong but I suspect the cost of Paddy Tipping and his office would be less than the costs of the old Police Authority.

Possibly is unnecessary TBI, I wouldn’t be surprised if the post is scrapped in the next year or two.   The PCC is an elected office, the cost of having that election every 4 years is ridiculous and the electorate just can’t be bothered to go and vote.  We always use our vote for anything that’s going but the turnout nationwide was only 15-20%.   

• Upvote 1

There is no eighty grand a year saving by not having a PCC, it's an opportunity cost. Prior to that the Police Authority cost more, the PCC has worked out cheaper so far.

Why would one argue about an elected official who is visible to the public and accountable to them. Someone who members of the public can go to and have a say. The Police Authority was never accountable to the public.

There has indeed been a poor turnout in elections so far. Like another recent vote, the Government made a fundemental balls-up by not providing sufficient information to the public in order for them to fully understand and make an informed choice. The Government was condemned by the Electoral Commission for not following their recommendations. I suspect the % of the electorate who actually understood what PCC's were about was reflected in the % who turned out. 

In terms of the election costs of PCC's, don't forget these were often lumped in with other local elections.