Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Ha, the old metal bin were full of ashes and vegetable matter in those days. 

Nurses in uniform - dresses, starched white aprons, starched caps, which were supposed to keep your hair tidy but we're more for decoration (I know because we nurses had to fold our own caps in a specific way, depending on which hospital you were at) dark stockings and 'sensible' flat black shoes.  Also there were cloaks for when you were outside the wards

The uniforms today do look much more  comfortable, though...

• Like 4

Got me remembering there Margie,, Starched white jacket,,with black Dickie Bow and White shirt,, Sex on the beech madam with Umbrella? and a pint of mild for sir,? Thats 8/6,,

And that was at the Railway club in Bulwell,,,about 63, got photo somewhere,, how dress standards have dropped,, with Bar staff,, well everyone really,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

That's still going Ben. I only drove past it the other day. 

Yes Fly,,called in about 4 years ago,,first time in about 40 years,,it made me very emotional,,all my old friends and relatives were there, smiling,,laughing,,and dancing,,

All in my mind,,obviously,,

• Like 1

Last went in about 20 years ago, for my mates 25th wedding anniversary. Don't remember much else.

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

I can honestly say Mary, I have never had or want a blue or any other colour rinse on my no.1 haircut. 'Er indoors won't wear rubber gloves.:Shock:

I think its more a younger thing to have your hair different colours from blue water rinse to crazy colour.

11 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

I'm only going back to the 1970s, but thinking about it my grandma and all other grandma's seemed to me to be of the Hilda Ogden type, big pointy glasses, silly lumpy hats and big broaches on their blue raincoats. But the thing is they were only 60 yrs old or so. I was only a youngster but to me they were old.

Hi Martin welcome to nottstalgia yes I agree women did look older years ago, I can remember my mum being 40 and she seemed really old to me, but when she reached 90 for some reason clothes  hair ect. she looked younger. 

The thing I have is when someone say's old  it just get's to me so please accept my apology.

10 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Patches that your mum sewed onto worn out areas of your jeans, although nowadays you pay extra to buy jeans with holes already ripped into them?!!

When we were in our teen's we would sit in a bath of hot water to make our jeans go as tight as they could. (do you remember girls?)

5 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

How about, tyre skid marks on roads (with the exception of hgv burst tyres)

But B roads, what with the invention of ABS and TC on cars, you don't get the screeches anymore.

No screeches as all roads full of pot-holes.

9 hours ago, MargieH said:

starched caps, which were supposed to keep your hair tidy but we're more for decoration 

The nurses at Harlow Wood wore very complex looking white caps. My friend, Pauline, who nursed there often recalls folding them into shape. They do look fairly awkward and must have been difficult to keep on the head.

You are right, Jill.  The caps were sometimes difficult to keep on your heads unless you used loads of Kirby grips.   However, it was the age of hair lacquer when I was there so the grips stayed in most of he time

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I think its more a younger thing to have your hair different colours from blue water rinse to crazy colour.

I hope your not saying I'm too old for hair colouring Mary, I is only a recycled 18 year old... :tease:

12 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Blue 3 wheel disable cars.

Click link for images and full details of the AC Thundersley Invacar: Model 70 Blue Invacar

If you were disabled, and lucky enough, you were offered an ice blue single seater that though loved in many quarters, was frequently ridiculed.

The Thundersley Invacar Model 70 three wheeler was designed by AC, the same company that gave us the AC Cobra, and was in production from 1971 until 1978, it was three metres (9 foot 9 inches) in length and 1 metre 37cm (4 foot 6 inches) wide.

The ice blue fiberglass shell with twin sliding doors offered room for a driver and their wheelchair (folded up beside them) storage was in the front of the car, as the engine was in the boot, which offered room for your shopping and there was also a parcel shelf behind the driver for additional storage.

The Thundersley 70 was able to be adapted to the individuals needs depending on their disability, an astonishing 56 different setups were available, you could choose from a traditional steering wheel or a motorcycle style handlebar operation or the ingenious tiller system that when pushed down applied the brakes.

The Invacar controls: Steering wheel, Motorcycle handlebars or a Tiller operation

The Model 70 had a 493cc Steyr-Puch flat-twin engine that produced 19.3 horse power that could reach a top speed of 60 miles per hour, some models housed a 600cc engine that produced considerably more power and a claimed top speed of 82 miles per hour. The Salsbury transmission pulley drive system offered a forward or reverse option, the gear lever being in the centre of the car with the options Forward, Neutral and Reverse, the downside to this system was that the Invacar could travel as fast in reverse gear as it could going forward.

Twin sliding doors offered easy access for the driver, room for a folded wheelchair too

As the Thundersley Invacar Model 70 was owned by the Government, and leased to the drivers, when in 2003  they decided they were not fit to be on the roads of the UK they simply rounded them all up and destroyed them, apparently 50 units a week were going to the crusher, and very few still survive. Older Invacar models were not part of the cull and can be registered for use on the UK roads.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

Blue 3 wheel disable cars.

6 minutes ago, Compo said:

If you were disabled, and lucky enough, you were offered an ice blue single seater that though loved in many quarters, was frequently ridiculed.

Remember seeing these around the touchlines and behind the goal lines at many football grounds in the 60's and 70's

• Like 2

When I was apprentice in a garage at the bottom of Sneinton road we had a customer who would come in for fuel and the odd repair to his model 70 invacar, one day we had a phone call from someone say the invacar driver had broken down on Carlton road and could we go and rescue him, myself and the other apprentice took off on this mercy mission,he was only a couple of hundred yards up from Sneinton road so not too bad, we started to push him towards the garage and got up quite a bit of speed with us pushing and going down the steady slope, when we got to the corner of Sneinton road/Carlton road he turned his steering handle bar to the left but never applied the brakes so over he went in the middle of the road with traffic backing up Carlton road and Sneinton road,what a bloody mess,the driver was ok thankfully and the damage to his car was only cosmetic,we managed to right him and push him over the road to our garage for repairs,he had only ran out of fuel,you live and learn don't you?

Rog

• Like 5