Things you don't see anymore

23 minutes ago, MargieH said:

But that's one reason why there's been an increase in flooding in built up areas..... there's nowhere for the rain water to go if everywhere is paved.   The drains are overloaded with the mains drainage from domestic and industrial use and therefore overflow after heavy rainfall.  We NEED more plants and trees to soak up the rain

I don't think it's vegetation we need to soak up the water Margie, more a need to keep the river, lakes and water table levels up.

One of the biggest selling points when I bought my house is the small garden and now even that is hard surfaced. When it was done the contractor explained that the materials used had to comply with building regs and allow water to permeate into the ground below. Even with all the rain we have at the moment I can't see any run off.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We’ve got our parish council flood warden running around looking at the water in the dykes. The problem is that when the Trent is very high the dykes can’t drain away. The dyke on our lane is fairly high but I only remember it coming over onto the road about twice since 1962. If things get bad I’ve got a couple of life jackets and an inflatable dinghy. If it gets really bad my boat will float of its trailer but that would represent a flood of Noah’s Ark proportions and West Bridgford will be submerged! There is some flooding over the road at Thurgarton and down the A612 towards Southwell near Halloughton Rd. Main St. in Lambley is also impassable. There’s no end in site to the rain yet. As yet there are no published flood warnings for the Trent Valley villages.

More than sure it was a government plan in the terrace house slum clearance of the 60s & 70s to give the working class oiks a garden to stop them enjoying themselves in the pubs & workingmen's clubs after a full day at work. 

Work hard play hard ...... give him a garden ...... end of, fun over.

We get them round where I live and we also get the road sweeper lorries that come up and down the road, doing the gutters.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I have posted this picture before but I thought it time for a bump. There are some newer members who will not have seen much of the early postings in this thread. This is my Dansette record player, complete with original 1960s plug. It still works too:

vMqDD7ODf8xvdfSUBmPpzZB5YxF1E5b4wcc9GT6w

Slightly more modern but still about 45yrs old and in working order:

c5G_pRmI_T37R-7LldI1XwkokwateZocMtAG4hMK

Now you're just trying to make Col jealous with all those state of the art the Hi Fi appliances... Love the extension into extension Compo

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Shopping in one of the large supermarkets I looked for an ordinary writing pad. Nothing! Lots of envelopes of every shape and size but no ordinary writing pad! I normally use Facebook messenger, email and text but sometimes there is a need to write a letter. Not everyone has the technology to receive email and text and some prefer handwritten rather than typed as that can look like a round robin letter. It is sad as this suggests we are losing the capacity for the personal touch. 

• Like 4

You could slice A4 paper into 2,  which makes it A5 writing pad size..  ?

2 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

.... I looked for an ordinary writing pad. Nothing! Lots of envelopes of every shape and size but no ordinary writing pad! 

Serious question, I don't know the answer.........Are kids in schools today still taught such things as letter writing ?  Or are they given the skills needed to complete on-line forms and post messages on forums ?

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

You could slice A4 paper into 2,  which makes it A5 writing pad size..  ?

You can also do this with photographic paper. One cut = A5, 2 cuts = 4 postcard size (6*4 approx). I do this often.

36 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Serious question, I don't know the answer.........Are kids in schools today still taught such things as letter writing ?  Or are they given the skills needed to complete on-line forms and post messages on forums ?

Doubt it theres a lot of subjects my children had at school that the children of today don't know what they are. Same as I don't know what they are being taught as I have never heard of them.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, Brew said:

Now you're just trying to make Col jealous with all those state of the art the Hi Fi appliances... Love the extension into extension Compo

Indeed.  And how that speaker is supposed to be heard from there.....  Where's the other one?  ;)

I like to think that I'm pretty good at Letter Writing.  I can make my case.. tell a story.. sympathise, converse with a friend..lover..or whatever.  Trouble is.. very few people can read my writing. It's always been terrible.  It's why the evil Mr Deakin forced me to practice writing in his study at primary school... because he knew I was a genius.. but people wouldn't know if I couldn't write legibly.

I would dearly like to write letters in elegant script, and post them on pale blue paper..

But  word processed and printed on off white or very pale blue paper is as close as I can get.  I do at least sign letters by hand...

• Like 2

I honestly can't remember the last time I wrote a letter it must have been decades ago.

I have absolutely no idea what a stamp costs.

My mum and dad both had copperplate handwriting even late in life, whereas mine has got steadily worse over the years so like DJ360 it would be better written on a keyboard 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:47 AM, DJ360 said:

Where's the other one?

The other Waharefddale Ditton is across the room, Col. I bought them to use as spares for my broken Lyntons but never got around to replacing the speakers in the latter - still have them though.

• Like 1

My linton's are in the loft - just waiting for me to change one bass speaker..... maybe one day I will get one of those Round Tuit thingies.

• Like 1

They are excellent speakers.  Mine still sound good.  Doubt I'll ever replace them at my age.  There may be better ones available today, but I wouldn't be able hear the difference anyway.

• Like 1

Mee too, LL. I can't hear anything over 2KHz. that's the main reason why I haven't bothered fixing the better speakers.

• Like 1

That makes you think about HiFi. For all the expense they go to it’s only as good as the hearing acuity of the listener. To think I’ve known people remove curtains and furnishings and mount the record player on a block of concrete. It’s all a bit silly really, like expensive Rollex watches that need a £750 service every few years compared with my daily worn Citizen which never needs a battery and maintains date and time to the split second. Or even Ferrari’s that need to have the engine out to change the cam belt on a regular basis. Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 2

Sounds like you've got the same watch as me Phil.  Mrs. L bought it for me as a tenth wedding anniversary present.  It's been running nicely for eight years now.  Eco something or other.

Re hi -fi.  I've always found it to be a law of diminishing returns.  Seperate pieces had a better sound than a Dansette,  but as you got higher and higher I couldn't hear much difference.  DJ may have some thoughts on that.  He's running hifi gear at higher levels than I ever did.

• Like 1

Yes, WR 200 Eco Drive. No battery changes and it picks up an accurate time signal from Germany. I bought it cheaply on eBay from someone who imported direct from the Far East. It’s always satisfying to see the second hand be exactly on time with the Greenwich pips. Unfortunately with digital radio they are 5 seconds out of sync. No gold Rolex for me - far too flash!:biggrin:

• Like 1