Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I only take my watch off to shower, I even wear it in bed.  Only last week I decided I didn’t want to take it into Berry’s in Nottingham for a new battery, I’ve usually ended up with a £300+ bill.  I handed it to a chap in a mobile outfit by Wilco’s side door. He replaced the battery and serviced the watch for £90 and I collected it next day, whereas it’s normally gone back to Switzerland and been gone for 6 weeks.  

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

No gold Rolex for me - far too flash!:biggrin:

My son has one and  bugger me if the hands go round the same way as a Timex!

• Like 1

Most of the young adults I know, don't have a watch... they just look on their phone to see the time.

When Pubs were Pubs my Dad was one who would always get up and give you a song, but what was funny each time he went to the toilet he would come back with a watch or two, Question Why? well my dad was always quick to spot a barging, and after having a few he would buy anything YES!!! any thing??? even a watch that did not have any hands.

Don't want to burst your bubble Lizzie but I don't think some itinerant will be able to service what I presume is quite an expensive watch. Watches of that calibre have fancy seal systems and are usually pressure tested when the back is closed after the battery has been replaced. Some are even closed in a vacuum chamber.

If it has a battery it's reasonable to assume a quartz movement, I would ask him what 'exactly' he did to service it as there are very few moving parts.

£300 and off to foreign parts is a total rip off though so I don't blame you..

• Like 1

I hardly ever wear a watch now that I am retired nor do I carry round my mobile phone. Time is largely irrelevant, I know when it is getting light or dark and my stomach tells me when it is lunch or dinnertime.

On the rare occasions I do wear a watch, my favourite id a "gold Lolex" that I bought from the markets in Penang over thirty years ago for $4 and it has only ever  had new batteries. 

• Like 1

When I retired I swore I would not have another mobile phone. That lasted for about two weeks. I couldn't live without my smartphone. I rarely make or take calls as I don't share my number other than with family but as an encyclopaedia of information in my pocket its invaluable.

So here's me, semi-traditionalist....no smart phone, no fancy gadgets to go wrong in my basic car, second-hand computer the size of a small planet and books for reference. Grow my own veg and soft fruits, brew my own beer and cook from scratch every day and listen to Radio Caroline daily. What a boring old fart I must be!

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26 luglio 2019 at 10:11 AM, Compo said:

So here's me, semi-traditionalist....no smart phone, no fancy gadgets to go wrong in my basic car, second-hand computer the size of a small planet and books for reference. Grow my own veg and soft fruits, brew my own beer and cook from scratch every day and listen to Radio Caroline daily. What a boring old fart I must be!

No Compo just sensible. A lot of things are nice to have but often not neccessary. We all have our weeknesses for gadgets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

IMG-3588.jpg

I only wear my watch when I go out because it looks more like a bracelet. In fact it comes to pieces to connect in what order I like.

• Like 1

I can remember a lot of those, which makes me feel old.  In some of the photos, I can remember the earlier version of the subject.

The Woolworth photo is only in Vic Centre, whereas for me Woolies was the big one on Lister Gate.

And the Broad Marsh bus station photo shows the only-just-gone version and I can remember the one before that.

BHS before they went into Broad Marsh Centre.

Friar Lane before Maid Marian Way cut through it.

Gee Dee models when they were at the bottom end of Hockley.

Students sporting their university scarfs !

Regarding the Nottingham Post article, It mentions the fountains in Slab Square dating from 1927. I remember those fountains being built in or around 1972.

• 3 weeks later...

Bee Top Sauce

• 2 weeks later...

I still have and use them regularly CT. There are two flavours in my desk drawer Black and Blue, there may even be a couple of red ones somewhere in there

• Like 1