Things you don't see anymore

Burtons Arcade was often a Saturday afternoon treat for me too. The cheese aromas, fish smells, hanging poultry. Fascinating for a small child.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

It was the smells of bacon/hams in Burtons that did it for me as a youngster. A few years later, though, it was E Love (Provisions) on Mansfield Road that provided the food aroma fix. He had all sorts of bacon/ham products hanging in the shop as well as a large variety of cheeses (almost as many types as Burtons but in smaller quantities). E Love (Provisions) was easily identifiable by its bright orange shop front. It was on the left, just up from Bluecoat Street going out of the city towards the Forest.

I still get my food odour fix down here where there are loads and loads of charcuteries, fromageries, boulangeries, patisseries etc. selling the most delectable items with almost none of them sweating away wrapped up in airtight plastic shrouds - it's like it used to be in England and so much better for it.

• Like 1

The Home and Colonial used to be the same. Cheese used to have a rind on it. If it had got a bit of mould, then you just cut it off and carry on. There was a little bakery near the wash house on Denman street and you could buy' stale cake's from them. Some of their past date cakes used to be made into what was known as " Nelson squares", lovely with custard.

• Like 1

English Cheddar was always the most popular and cheapest about 2/6 per lb,,1960 "" that was the one with Rind""on BK,,at Marsdens of course,, 

For me, cheese is a staple food. Love it. The moggies like cheddar, just a taste. Brie, caemembert, stilton, anything of that ilk. Dad adored gorgonzola but I wouldn't go that far. Grandad Sparrow's favourite pastime was buying whole smelly cheeses, drilling holes in them, which he filled with port, and then wrapping them up for months, to be brought out at Christmas. If you think that sounds bad, you should have tried grandma Kate's Christmas cake. Even the birds wouldn't eat it. Her culinary skills were very bad and she hated housework. Hmmmm, sounds like me :Shock:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Forgot to add,, at Marsdens the Cheddar cheese came in big round 80lb pieces,,,and we had to 'skin' em,,,,also forgot all these skills i had,/needed

Skinning cheeses

Boning Bacon

Window dressing. .........loved my Marsden days............

• Like 1

Ben, as well as cheese, didn't  butter used to be delivered in big blocks? I can remember seeing the shop keeper use butter pats to square off a half pound of butter, also weighing half pound of sugar in little blue bags. Used to take a little red book that was used for shopping lists and the price put at the side and totalled up when finished. Some ladies would write a full shopping list and leave it in the shop.

Tub butter you on about Barrie,,talked about it a lot on here. It came in 112lb Barrels (cwt) and we cut and weighed it into half or one pounds,,then there was lard, that came in 28lb blocks and we cut and weighed that,

Then there was dried fruit,,once a year we weighed Currants,, Raisons, and Sultanas,, Sugar weighing in blue bags i think ended just before I started in 1959,,

• Like 1

When I  worked at SPD., Glaisdale drive, I  remember delivering lard in blocks. It used to be kept in the depot chill room, along with Stork, Blue Band etc. All part of Van Den Bergs. Funny, but I  can't  remember the other stuff that was kept in there. Margarine like Echo was kept in the general warehouse, whilst the spreadables were in the chill room. I know they were bloody heavy when you had a lot to deliver.

The lard / fat for dads chippie in the late 50's was delivered in blocks about as big as a small suitcase. Yes, heavy indeed.

Yes Ben, didn't  they also come with a little net bags as well. Soak the peas overnight with the pill. Wasn't it a soda tablet?

Can't  remember but I  think one struggled to put the peas in the bag after soaking and prior to cooking.

• Like 1

Remember Mam shouting to me Dad,, ""Hev ya put Peas in soak Ben"""

Twas Saturday night,,and Peas had to be right colour and texture for Sunday dinner,,

• Like 1

Can you remember being able to buy soaked peas? For the life of me I  cannot recall who sold them. You used to buy them by the pint. They were kept in a large bin and served with a pint beer glass, which was then bagged.

• Like 1

I remember my sister getting a smack for upsetting a box of dried peas all over the kitchen floor just as we were all getting ready to go out somewhere. Mum had to clean them up before we could go. I was only tiny at the time but have never forgotten it. I also remember being shouted at for pinching the muslin bag to wear as a hat to go with my nurse's outfit. I had a nurse's outfit every Christmas as a child and it was always minus a hat!

Soaked Peas ?   Most green grocer's would sell them also wet fish shop's but you can buy them to soak your self. I do this then freeze them. 

Batchelors sell boxes of dried peas. Used to buy them after purchasing the dreaded Pea Shooter ! The grocers must have had to soak them. Wonder what they did with the ones they didn't  sell?

As an aside from peas, does anyone remember Fine Fare on Bulwell main street, selling all sorts of loose items in large tubs with plastic flip top lids? These would be corn flakes, porridge, sweets, rice krispies etc. You scooped out what you wanted into a bag and they were weighed. Good idea but if only grotty kids would keep their grubby hands out.

5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

also forgot all these skills i had,/needed

Skinning cheeses

Boning Bacon

Window dressing. .........loved my Marsden days............

Then there's the skill of buttering up the lady customers! Not forgotten that one, have you Ben? ;)

• Like 1

National Flour in cloth bags with the name printed in blue - frequently infested with all manner of creepy crawlies (although that may have been the poor storage conditions in the shop - the Co-op at the corner of Hucknall High street and Station Road, now Hucknall Sports & Schoolwear Centre).