Things you don't see anymore

3 hours ago, jonab said:

National Flour in cloth bags with the name printed in blue - frequently infested with all manner of creepy crawlies

Reminds me of my father's tale of the National Loaf during the early war years. Bellfield's bakery in Beeston received no more of my grandmother's custom after she found a dead cockroach in one of their loaves! Dad always said the National Loaf was made with sawdust, sweepings and wasn't fit to eat. Perhaps the cockroach ate some.

Would never have happened at Marsden's! :blink:

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Did Marsdens ever sell Salmon paste? It came in bowls similar to potted meat, with the greaseproof paper on top. Used to buy it loose as 2oz or 4oz if you were flush. Bet Ben would know. I know you can buy little Shippams pots but they're  not quite the same. Some shops used to sell the empty bowls.

I remember the salmon paste in those decorative, ceramic bowls, big brother. The paste had a layer of butter on top. Similar with potted beef. Today, it would be a plastic container!

Always wondered whether the empty bowls went back for refilling. Our Ben will know.

Marsdens certainly did sell Salmon Paste,,,someone mentioned Binghams of Sheffield the other day,,,well they delivered to Marsdens 2 or 3 times per week,,,amazing they still going I think,,,

Barkers supplied the Potted meat,,think they were more local,,,but only Binghams supplied Salmon paste,,,in those oval shaped pot containers which were returned to them when empty,,,  

Qtr of Salmon Paste mrs Williams ?  certainly madam,,,Mr Williams still take Salmon paste sandwiches down Calverton pit ?   gave your Dolly a lift down Teviot the other day in me 'basket'.....yes her Dad saw ya,,not best pleased...…….

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As stated previously Jill, one could buy them when they were empty. I'm  sure my mother in law had one. Think it may have been handed on to us when she passed away in 2005. Have to look for it.

I always understood that flour should be fine sieved when using it for baking to stop the weevils going in the bowl.   People say it's to get air in the mix but I still think  it's to trap the weevils!  I expect the supermarket bags of flour have already been sieved before being sealed in bags, though.  

• Like 1

Barkers potted beef...that was it! Norman Hurstfield's grocery shop just round the corner on Alfreton Road stocked that along with tub butter, cheesewire cheese wrapped in greaseproof paper...very deftly...corned beef, cold meats, pastries, etc. Nowt was wrapped in plastic, the carrier bags were made of strong brown paper and string and the sooner we get back to that, the better! Little blue order book went in once a week.

Those pots were nice, Beekay. Usually a swirl pattern on the side.

Those were the days. F f f f fetch your cloth, our Ben! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Typical order in little books ,,wanting delivery on Bestwood estate 1960 ish,, Marsdens,,,

1/2 lb b.b.dividend tea

4lb Sugar

sm tin Nescafe

lb tub butter

lb stork

1/2 lb lean shoulder bacon

1/4 lb shoulder ham

lge tin carnation

tall tin KY Peaches

small tin pink salmon,  john west

2 tins Tarantella tomatoes (flat)

3lb be-ro self raising flour

1oz yeast

12 oz tin FB corned beef

Nice biscuits

Mcvities rich tea

Jacobs fig rolls

2 bravo toilet rolls

Beetop sauce

Jubilee pickled onions (med jar)

Orders were usually collated on a friday and delivered saturday morning,,, they were totalled up and put in a ledger,,,a few (not many) had a weeks credit,,others paid on delivery or came in within a couple of days and paid....never had to chase anyone for payment,,,in those days council tenants were the best payers.

i was very happy being a Granville in 1960,,,love to do it all again.........

• Like 3

Those little tins of coffee. Powder, not granules! One of those wouldn't last me a day! I don't drink tea. 

Blue order book lived on the bottom shelf of the pantry when not in use, alongside paper bags which had been smoothed flat for reuse. EEEEH! You can't teach this generation much about recycling, make do and mend.  Bubble and squeak for Friday tea, using up the leftovers. In our house, food was never wasted. Mum's mantra was. WASTE NOT, WANT NOT and it's very true!

• Like 2

Same here with the Coffee Jill,,,,,iv'e not drunk tea since school days.......in 1960 not many folk drank coffee on a regular basis at home,,,

Once i had sampled a coffee bar with music that was it,,,,''Once our beer was frothy,,but now its frothy coffee''' fings...............carnie!!!!

Bike obviously cliff ton..........with a basket big enough to fit ''Dolly'' in,,,,,

Them old Bikes had no gears and were very hard work......especially with those very steep hills on Bestwood estate,,,

22 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Bike obviously cliff ton..........with a basket big enough to fit ''Dolly'' in,,,

Ive often mentioned Dolly,,had a funny relationship with her really,she was 14 when i was 15,,but somehow always had a laugh with her,,never dated but always liked her,,often with her being so small gave her a lift in me basket,,

Remember her laughing when i fell from the Granville coming down a steep embankment,on Bestwood estate,, stole a peck on the cheek from her once at friday dance club,,aah often wonder what became of her,,when i left Marsdens Andover road to start my wonderings never saw her again,:

• Like 3
On 10/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Them old Bikes had no gears and were very hard work......

Combining this subject with Talking Pictures TV.....

This morning I caught a few minutes of a 1950s film with Mr Pastry, and in several scenes he was riding around on a butcher's delivery bike....and a dog in the basket.

• Like 1

The little white dot in the top right hand corner of the tv screen, immediately before adverts come on when watching ITV. 

I used to think it was an indication to put the kettle on !

I was musing on the topic of Potted meat/beef this morning as I was out on my bike - as you do. I came home and lo! potted beef is mentioned in this topic. So, here in Scotland, potted beef is a a jar of gelatinised beef strips and not the paste that we loved as kids in Notty. I now have a burning question: Is potted meat/beef still available in the Midlands or has it gone the way of many other goodies over the years?