Things you don't see anymore

Garth was one of the cartoon strips in the Daily Mirror - as was Jane. There was a whole page dedicated to cartoon strips in those days (1950s) it may be similar now - we don't get that newspaper over here except for a few copies for tourists on the Côte  

I can't remember the names of many of the strips but Pip, Squeak and Wilfred; Andy Capp; Perishers and one with a professor (or Dr) Lumiere although he may have been in the Garth strip

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Prof.Lumiere was and is with Garth in the Daily Mirror. I've  mentioned this before, but many years ago, as a nipper, I  saw a real Jane at what was the Olympia in Bulwell market. She was making an appearance and one of my dads jobs when he worked there was to stand in the wings and pass cloaks/drapes over the ladies shoulders when they came off stage.

Garth cartoon is nowhere near as good as it was. He's  built like a brick outhouse now, a neck like a tree trunk.

Our Mam allus useter buy this tea; except I think it were abaht a tanner then, not 1/9d:

R91UV6lHIR2XcsBk8aYXEv7nuzFTVRoqr4Qowgzw

• Like 1

I can't see which tea Compo's Mam used to offer 'cos all I get is a sort of no entry sign.

I almost always drink Earl Grey (without milk) as french-made tea is an abomination and Earl Grey is less easy to get wrong. I've mentioned this before about the french not having a clue about making tea and, no matter how much I tried to teach them, they always think they know better how to do it.

I may have already written but when I first moved here, I had a secretary made tea directly in the kettle (cutting out the middleman - the teapot, even though it was provided). Boiled tea is singularly disgusting to drink but I could never get her to see the difference of teapot/no teapot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

thought it was just me and the Queen that drank Earl Grey. Welcome to the exclusive club Jonab!

Hate to disillusion you but I know several people who drink Earl Grey. One is a former colleague...and she's a communist! :blink:

Well sorry folks I'm not giving up me Yorkshire Tea and drinking Earl Grey just to see Compo's pics... good as they are so there

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I like Earl Grey ...

I like Earl Grey too Margie, he's  a very,very nice man .

Ps, Compo's picture is still there, so I'm  doing something right.

21 minutes ago, sue B 48 said:

I can see Compo's photo and that's a first. I also drink Earl Grey.

What are you using to look at it ?  I can't see the photo on my iMac or on my phone.

Is Compo giving you preferential treatment ?

I've just realised how appropriate this topic heading is. Things you don't see any more..........  Compo's pics!    ;)

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, trogg said:

Well I don't know what that makes me then, I drink coffee and always black with a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar. Perhaps I should hide away in a corner. Where is Ben to help me out.

You are not alone, young Trogg. I too drink black coffee with sugar. Never drink tea.

• Like 1

Whilst we're talking coffee my favourite used to be Monsooned Malabar beans from Waitrose. It had a natural sweetness and required no sugar. Sadly it appears to have deteriorated in quality and I'm now using ground coffee in bags from Taylor's of Harrogate. I miss the morning grinding ritual but it does taste good without the hassle of preparation.