Things you don't see anymore

@ Brew, not so much the "rat pack" syndrome, I do use older instruments when accuracy isn't that important. I have an ex military Grid Dip Oscillator, all tubes! It together with an accurate freq counter make a handsome couple when checking resonant circuits for the point of resonance. I proved an HF tube amplifier tank circuit was working correctly on 15 metres with that pair, proving the problem wasn't on the output, but a failed cap on the tuned input.

I like meters over digital readouts too, maybe it's the old electrician in me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The small engines you put in model aircraft where you could change the compression by adjusting a T handle and when the engine started would rap your knuckles if you were not quick enough not to mention sore fingers trying to start it.

41 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

he small engines you put in model aircraft

You can still buy them. I single cylinder 2 stroke starts around £100 and a four cylinder anything up £2000. Some of them are little marvels of engineering.

What happened to the 'Pillsbury doughboy' ? And whilst we're at it, in the late 60s / 70s you could get a bread that you had to do yourself, but I can't think of the name of it, i used to love that.

Dear friends, It is with the saddest heart that I pass on the following. Please join me in remembering a great icon. The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a lightly-greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Cap'n Crunch. The grave site was piled high with flours as long- time friend, Aunt Jemima, delivered the eulogy, describing Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded. Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very "smart" cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times, he -- even still, as a crusty old man -- was considered a roll model for millions. Toward the end, it was thought he would rise again, but alas, he was no tart. Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough; two children, John Dough and Jane Dough; plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly father, Pop Tart. The funeral was held at 3:50 for about twenty minutes.

From https://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/sipit/funeral.txt

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Waddo said:

What happened to the 'Pillsbury doughboy' ? And whilst we're at it, in the late 60s / 70s you could get a bread that you had to do yourself, but I can't think of the name of it, i used to love that.

Good morning Waddo, in answer to your question, you can still get bake your own rolls, croissants and pan chocolat. The come in a cardboard tube with the name "Jus-Roll". Quite tasty they are too, (not that I buy them of course).

Thanks for that BK, but it's not the one I was thinking of. The one I'm on about came in a soft wrapper and was about half the size until baked / cooked !!

I think your on the right line Jill and like you i can't remember what it was called. I used to love it when it was piping hot, gran used to tell me that hot bread was bad for you!!. Don't seem to have done me any harm, unless she was referring to memory loss!!

# Waddo, the bread you're on about was "Take And Bake" . They had a problem of the part baked bread going mouldy, the baker soon overcame that problem.

I used to like that bread, rather expensive for a half baked loaf though, so confined to Christmas and other holidays.

Had I known how easy bread baking was, I'd have baked my own back then.

• Like 1

It's interesting that most of the supermarkets (Lidl make a big thing of it) have bakeries within the stores these days - which was unusual a few years ago. Apparently some of the 'fresh' bread is part-baked outside and then re-heated in the store, but it's still a step forward compared with buying sliced in a bag.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Take And Bake" . They had a problem of the part baked bread going mouldy, the baker soon overcame that problem.

That sounds like the one, i also overcame the problem, i scoffed the lot as soon as it was done!!

39 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

, I'd have baked my own back then.

No good to me, wouldn't know where to start, i can cook boiled eggs, toast, cheese on toast and beans on toast. My attempts at cooking have been as successful as Dani Pedrosa winning a moto gp world title

They were mouldy before reaching the oven though.

Breads easy to bake, bread flour, couple of spoons of sugar, couple of spoons of salt, small amount of lard, water and bread yeast, so easy a caveman could bake it.

I cheat a bit, I use the breadmaker to mix and knead the ingredients, then I place it in two bowls, as I make 2 lbs at a go, place damp tea towel over them, once risen, I knock back, make rolls with the dough and leav to "prove" for an hour, covered with damp tea towels, then bake and enjoy!!

French bread has the reputation of remaining fresh for about five minutes after coming out of the oven.

Something you can do to revive the freshness is to very quickly run the loaf/stick/roll under the tap and place in a hot oven for a few minutes. The bread will come out crisp crusted and nice and soft inside.

• Like 1

I do still miss Waitrose, when we lived in Berkhamsted I never shopped anywhere else and it took me a long time to come to terms with not having one locally when we moved to Nottingham, but driving to Newark seemed a bit daft.... however when they opened one in Wollaton (since closed as even that lot couldn’t afford to shop there) I never once got the urge.  I’ll shop anywhere these days (with the exception of Asda Hyson Green) and get the job done as quickly as possible. 

We’ve got no particular affinity for supermarkets. Waitrose Newark, Morrison’s Netherfield and Lidl Bingham are all about 10 miles away. The closest at 4 miles are the CoOp’s at Southwell or Lowdham. I like Lidl because there’s always something interesting down the middle isle and I have to buy some gadget even though I don’t need it at the time!