Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

you'r right when first married used to have draped net with frills and tie backs, the only thing was it would take me any thing from 15mins to 1 hour getting all the pleats and frill's even. Then I would stand back and tell myself what a good job i had done,

I have always hated net curtains, they are just dust gatherers. Did have them though as everyone seemed to. Hated having to take them down as getting them back up you needed arms like Arnold thingymebob (not attempting to spell his last name). I can remember soaking them in glo white as they used to go a dingy grey if you weren’t careful. I got the impression you were judged on the whiteness of your nets!

On the subject of dingy grey net curtains, have you noticed the revolting colour state of the net curtains at 10 Downing Street and other government buildings that are constantly being shown on British television news programmes? My mother would have had apoplexy if her nets became as bad as that.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, jonab said:

On the subject of dingy grey net curtains, have you noticed the revolting colour state of the net curtains at 10 Downing Street and other government buildings that are constantly being shown on British television news programmes? My mother would have had apoplexy if her nets became as bad as that.

Maybe that's the bulletproof / bomb proof glass that's distorting the colour.

I've got nets on my upstairs front windows and front door.

I did have Vertical blinds when I first moved in the house but got rid of them after about 10 years, horrible things to keep clean.

Net curtains are so easy to wash.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

I've got nets on my upstairs front windows and front door.

We have always had nets up at all windows, the ones we have are in the Jardinieres style, very pretty with flowers at the bottom and small leaves going up to the top.and almost pure white. They were from Yarnolds and cost quite a lot at the time. It paid off because they have lasted well.

We, over the  years have decorated and chosen furniture in  quite an old fashioned style,  with a few  modern bits thrown in. It seems to work. We even have the little cotton and lace   protecters on the two sofas to help keep them clean. 

The new window is now in the bedroom  (the dogs haven't barked for a couple of nights, so still waiting to see how well our acoustic glass works) Oops, strayed off my net subject for a mo. Anyway the window looked good but so bare without my Jardinier (being washed to go back up). It is back up now and my window looks pretty again. I guess, in the vote for nets, our house is a  yes. hearteyes

• Like 1
10 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Old men selling newspapers on the street corners.ps just had the worst 2 days of my life for some reason i could not reply to the threads every thing is ok now.

Lots of old men on street corners in Brighton and Lewes , (some young ones too). But they're not selling newspapers, they're wrapped in Duvets !

7 hours ago, carni said:

We even have the little cotton and lace   protecters on the two sofas to help keep them clean. 

Are they called antimacassar? Originally to stop hair oil etc spoiling the furniture...

• Like 1

I'm just an old fashioned girl

With an old fashioned mind

Not sophisticated

I'm the sweet and simple kind

I want an old fashioned house

With an old fashioned fence

and .........................................................  NS choir   :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's licquorice root and you can still buy it in herbalist shops like Culpeppers (sp). It's thin, though, not like the thicker sticks I remember.  We used to share one stick round a group of us.... not very hygienic but we never thought about that.  Also I remember us eating half pomegranates using a pin to stab the fleshy seeds!

We used to call it "Spanish Root", no idea why. I understand it's  grown up in the Yorkshire area, but not quite sure where. There was an article on one of the magazine TV programmes. You can purchase it at Holland & Barrett. 

OMG no wonder it was flattened when this lot exploded!

King George V visit to National Shell Filling Factory, Chetwynd Road, Chilwell,1916