Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Can't help thinking some people need protecting from themselves. Obviously the deaths of some 50,000 people has not registered with them and what the result of not being cautious could be. I agree with you Phil, another lockdown is on the cards and next time it could be even more severe.

• Like 1

Saw the pictures on the Beeb of the beach where idiots hurt themselves jumping of a cliff. There have must have been couple of thousand people in the crowd watching the helicopter land.

A bit like the Morons who climb Snowdon etc., wearing only Jean's and teeshirt , then rely on some poor sods  bailing them out when they get in trouble.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Brew said:

Saw the pictures on the Beeb of the beach where idiots hurt themselves jumping of a cliff. There have must have been couple of thousand people in the crowd watching the helicopter land.

That is at Durdle Door near Lulworth Cove in Dorset. A most beautiful place. I have visited the area every year since 1975 missing only one year. Now we’ve more time and are a bit better off we usually go at least twice a year. I was due to go the start of this month but I had no eye test planned so couldn’t go. If I had the money and no family ties here I’d be off down there like a shot to live.

• Like 2
On 2/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, IAN FINN said:

Parking lights on cars the type that clip on the side window saved many bruised knuckles and push starting.

Here's one from my little museum of 20th century tat, Ian.

IMG-2705.jpg

Here's summat as you don't see anymore. A 1lb jar of jam with a golly on the lid. I was digging out a hedge to extend my little orchard when my garden fork came up with it stuck on the prongs. I wonder...1. How long has it been there? (We've been here 26yrs and it's not ours); 2. When did they stop using imperial measures for jam jars? and 3. The hedge is mature so think of the quality of manufacture that has kept it so good for so long underground.

golly-jam.jpg

• Like 1

Alert, Alert, you can't show Gollies anymore.

Unless o fcourse it's for historical interest only.

We went half Metric in the early 70's so may have been before then

Of course the Jam jar may have had screws or nails stored in it in a shed for 30 years.

• Like 2

I remember children at school collecting the paper gollies hidden behind the label. When you had collected enough, you could send for an enamelled golly brooch. They were rather nice.

My mum, born in 1926, always said the golly was her favourite toy as a child.  One of her friends bought her a golly for her 75th birthday. She loved it!

• Like 2

You can still buy them Jill, in some souvenir shops. It was possible to make collection sets. I remember one set consisted of musicians forming a band. There was all different sorts, sports etc. All were very popular.

• Like 1

Here's an enamel Golly brooch from Robertson's that I have in my little museum of 20th century tat:

golly.jpg

• Like 6

Wonder how the name Gollywog came to be. Not very nice today is it.

Thinking the other day about Friars Balsam. My mum used to give it to me on sugar if I had a sore throat.

And another thing.....Whatever happened to ' Nibbits ' ? Used to love em. Long squiggly things with a unique taste all of their own. 

Nearest thing I've  seen to them the deep fried noodles you get with chow mein. Flat hard ribbons that when dropped in hot oil they swell up after a few seconds.

4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Wonder how the name Gollywog came to be. Not very nice today is it.

From: http://www.historyofdolls.com/history-of-famous-dolls/history-of-golliwog/  "One theory of the origin of the name “Golliwogg” says that while British soldiers held Egypt in the second half of the 19th century they had Egyptian laborers that worked for them. Workers wore insignia W.O.G.S. on their armbands which meant “Working on Government Service”. British troops spoke of them as “ghouls” - which is an Arabic word for a desert ghost. Egyptian children played with black dolls which they would sometimes give to British soldiers or they would buy dolls from children. That dolls were later called “Ghuliwogs” and later “Golliwogg”. How much truth is in this theory - it is not known."

22 minutes ago, Compo said:

"One theory of the origin of the name “Golliwogg” says that while British soldiers held Egypt in the second half of the 19th century they had Egyptian laborers that worked for them

Or from Wikipedia:-

"The golliwog, golliwogg or golly is a fictional character created by Florence Kate Upton that appears in children's books in the late 19th century and usually depicted as a type of rag doll. It was reproduced, both by commercial and hobby toy-makers, as a children's toy called the "golliwog", a portmanteau of golly and polliwog,[1][2][3] and had great popularity in the UK and Australia into the 1970s. The doll is characterised by black skin, eyes rimmed in white, red lips and frizzy hair. Though home-made golliwogs were sometimes female, the golliwog was generally male. For this reason, in the period following World War II, the golliwog was seen, along with the teddy bear, as a suitable soft toy for a young boy. "