Things you don't see anymore

When I worked at City Uniform on Woolpack Lane in 1965/6, which was my last employment in Nottingham, I used to work what was referred to in the factory as the special machines. We were tucked up in a corner surrounded by......Bar Tack, Felling, Overlock, Buttoner, Buttonholer, Lockstich etc, After all these years I can still remember them.Aaaah memories.:biggrin:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

My mam worked as a home worker for years making bridal tiaras. The house always seemed to be full of wire, reels of silk, net and wax pearls. As kids we often help bend the wire, using formers, bind with silk and whip little pearls on the ends to cover the sharp points. She was also a good machinist with industrial lockstitch and overlock machines taking up one end of the lounge.

For the hours homeworkers put in and the rewards they got I'm sure it would be considered modern day slavery now days...

2 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

I've still got my Mums 1931 Singer bought new for her by her Dad when she was 16 

When I was young, my mum had a treadle-operated Singer sewing machine which she'd acquired from her mother (my grandmother) and that must've originated in the 1930s. I was fascinated by the way she was able to make it do things by just rocking her foot backwards and forwards on the flat pedal area. It must've been something like this....https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/258182991116230471/

She was always very good at knitting/sewing etc, and she eventually progressed to an electric machine. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

My mam worked as a home worker for years making bridal tiaras. The house always seemed to be full of wire, reels of silk, net and wax pearls.

My mum never did that, but I remember lots of other houses in the area who did it. They always had a pile of cardboard boxes in the corner of a room - with the work which had been done, or was to be done. I think half of Clifton was doing home work in the mid 60s.

• Like 1

My grandma had one of those Singers when I was a kid.  Don't know what happened to it.   Mrs. L has one that belonged to her mom.  It's sitting out in the garage taking up space.  Might be worth a bob or two now?

C.T.

My Mum's is a very similar head to that if not identical but is a full cabinet with doors and was originally treadle powered. (treadle thrown away years ago)

I fitted a motor convertion on it in the 70's or maybe earlier, which is still on and still works.

Regards the value, you won't buy a bag of peanuts for what they're worth.

Something to do do with millions being made and thousands of them still around.

If its' still got the treadle you might get 2 bags of peanuts.

One of my Daughters in law has 20 or 30 machine heads of various ages, she used to get them for pennies at the end of Farm auctions

There was a sewing machine on Antiques roadshow last night. It was in the shape of a lion and looked just like a cast iron statue. When the front paws and legs were in place, covering the needle and arm, you would never know it was a sewing machine. Think it was valued at a couple of thousand quid.

img-1596468344474.jpg

• Like 2

Think I was wrong about the numbers made.

They'd made 16 million by 1900, then changed to letters and numbers for the serial numbers;

https://www.contrado.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Singer-Sewing-Machine-Numbers-compressed.pdf

Just checked my Mums singer serial number and it dates as 1934, so her Dad must have bought it when completed her apprenticeship at age 19 not when she started at 16.

Possibly my confusion, I've got an oil painting of her done by her Dad at age 16.

Fairies:wub: You don't see them anymore at the bottom of your garden but I think they've returned!! We have so many toadstools in the lawn that I think they've been hiding. The sun was too hot for them and now as it's been raining for 2 days they've come out of their hiding homes.

• Like 2

We had a fairy, its name was Nuff...  Many must have seen it because I often heard people say "it's FairyNuff"...    :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

When I started senior school all the boys had a haversack, either Army or RAF government surplus. I haven't seen schoolkids with one of these for many years but I suppose that's because they were still offloading WWII surplus stock when I were nobbut a young'n.  They were almost exclusively covered with pop group names and other such stuff like their best girl or favourite motorbike name.

sack.jpg

Yes, I had an ex-army rucksack. Much more useable than a satchel.

Had an ex-Belgian army greatcoat as well for winter. Can’t remember if I got it from Wakefield’s, Flittermans, or somewhere else. It was lovely and warm, but weighed about half a ton when wet.

• Like 1

Almost everyone at Fairham had an ex-army haversack; anyone using a real satchel was considered a sissy and weird.

The lettering on haversacks was football teams, current fashionable phrases, and pop or rock groups (and there's a very important distinction between the two). You were either cool or laughable, depending on whether you had Cream or Deep Purple or the Monkees or the Hollies.

• Like 1

During my last year at the dreaded Manning, I dispensed with the satchel and toted a smallish, red Constellation suitcase. Of course, I was challenged about this by such dubious worthies as the Head Of French and her ilk. It was non regulation, therefore not permitted. My response was to the effect that the volume of homework would not fit into a satchel. True, it wouldn't. 2 or 3 hours a night! Ludicrous!

The matter was not taken further. 

52 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Almost everyone at Fairham had an ex-army haversack; anyone using a real satchel was considered a sissy and weird.

:angry::angry::angry:

My satchel carried every text book, every work book, all my writing paraphernalia and, like the new testament in the front pouch, it all fitted exactly. Those with khaki army or blue air force rucksacks were  the hoi polloi so there!!

Do you ever see the old mash cans these days??

And what about the old gas mask type snap bags??

• Like 1

Ayup, I  had both mash can and gas mask bag when I worked at Bestwood pit. You can still get the mash cans and enamel mugs but they tend to be in trendy shops and camping shops. Not cheap nowadays. I'd like to get me hands on one so I can decorate it, when I'm a bit better. Stay safe.

• Like 1

My satchel, bought 59 years ago just before I started Grammar School, spoilt by my fair hand when I got interested in boys and pop groups.  There’s lots of felt-tipping on the inside too.  Just could never bring myself to throw it away .........BB5-AC73-D-AEA8-4-C78-8399-946728-E1-E11

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Quite right too Lizzie, as I told a certain gentleman of this parish, only the better class of people had satchels...    :bighug: