Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

13 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

As you know CT I was born and lived on Grimston Road near your grandparents. The back upstairs room above the kitchen was our bathroom.

I know the layout you mean, and that was always a bedroom at my grandparent's house. It remained 3-bedroomed as built, whereas yours was obviously 'modernised'.

Locks on internal doors. Our house on Peveril St had mortice locks on all bedroom doors.

We had 4 large bedrooms but only a tiny scullery and outside loo. The tiny scullery contained a cast iron gas stove, A sink with only cold water. A copper boiler in the corner, a mangle and dolly tub. There was just enough room for a small table for food preparation. The tin bath was hung up in the cellar stair head. How on earth did we manage?

Our current house has locks on all internal doors but it is about 400 years old.

My mum and dad left Nottingham in 1981 to come and live with us and their house had what we all referred to as a scullery.  It was down 2 stone steps from the room where we had most meals.  In the scullery was a sink and draining board, a washing machine and a gas cooker.  Mum did all her cooking in there. 
I do remember that before the twin tub, mum had a ‘copper’ for boiling certain clothes and before that was a dolly tub & a ponch.  There was also a separate wringer.

It was always the scullery to me ..  I believe it was renovated by the new owners and became part of the other room

m

• Like 1

Even in Woodthorpe some said ‘scullery’, so it wasn’t a local regional word then. We had neighbours on Marlborough Rd., who backed onto our garden, who said ‘scullery‘. The difference between kitchen and scullery can be found on the web. Most of us were not fortunate enough to have both rooms. I suppose the more modern ‘utility room’ has taken the place of the scullery.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I know the layout you mean, and that was always a bedroom at my grandparent's house. It remained 3-bedroomed as built, whereas yours was obviously 'modernised'.

Well we obviously unmodernised then CT. The houses were built in the early 1900’s and my parents moved in 1953 and were the second owners. 
My grandmother, a native of Arnold, used the word scullery but my mum always referred to ‘the pantry’. We lost the pantry when we put the bath in there but there was always a cupboard with fine mesh sides and door in there which was the meat safe. 

That reminds me of several things.

My grandparents moved to Grimston Rd in the late 1930s, so were at least the second occupants. Now you mention it, I remember them having a cupboard with mesh sides in their scullery.

We always used the word pantry at Clifton (built early 50s) for the place where food was stored. It was effectively a large cupboard with a stone shelf at waist height for cold items , and then several wooden shelves above.

I’ve still got a pantry where we live now!  It’s a walk - in cupboard with shelves where I keep all the food.  It also has other stuff in there like the vacuum cleaner .  We are in a small bungalow so there is no ‘under stairs cupboard’ to keep large items in.   I love my pantry because there’s so much room in it - much more than using wall cupboards to store food.

We don’t still have a meat safe, though!!

The kitchen at Garden Street was always referred to as the scullery by aunty Emily. Never the kitchen. There was no fridge. It was freezing in winter anyway and never very warm in summer.

We had a pantry at Bobbers Mill Road. It had a stone thrall which was meant to keep things cool. There was no light in there and the door locked from the outside so it was a great place for locking my sister in! I've been smacked many times for doing that but it was worth it!

My present house still has its original pantry!

We had a pantry in all of our houses. Here we don't, only cupboards and fridges and freezers.We do have a couple of storage rooms that in summer is coolish and in winter freezing.  

I don't have an airing cupboard and I miss not having one.

After posting I suddenly realized that when I was small our kitchen was called the back kitchen where all the washing up was and I suppose the cooker and oven but can't remember. From there we had what I presume was the dining/ sitting room and then came the  parlour.

Jehovah's Witnesses!  Given the current virus problems, they don't come a knocking on my wee small door. For this relief, much thanks!  Instead, I find they have mail shotted??? the whole road, at whatever it costs to put second class stamps on the envelopes!  Our postman is innumerate, so I received two! Next door's as well!

When I thought about it, this exercise made me rather cross. I don't know how much the JWs are spending on this activity but would it not be better spent on donating to food banks to feed those who are experiencing difficulties in feeding their families or, even better, pet food donations?

• Like 1

I’ve absolutely never understood the mentality of Jehovah’s Winesses or any other religious group who go round knocking randomly on people’s doors and expect to be welcomed or listened to.

Does anyone have any figures on their success rate ? (if it can even be measured). Has anyone anywhere ever listened to them or given them anything - apart from abuse and blank looks ?

I have a friend who loves them. He likes to discuss Darwinian theories of evolution with them. Apparently, they now avoid his house.

Many years ago, when I lived in Brinsley, I was in the kitchen, turned round and virtually fell over a strange bloke and child who had managed to get round the back of the house.  I'd got a Bach CD going full blast plus the liquidiser. If they knocked, I didn't hear them!

I rudely interrupted his unsolicited spiel by mentioning that I had to get a move on with my cooking as there was a meeting of the coven that evening and I still had my robes to iron, Suddenly, he wasn't there any more.  A most satisfying result! ;)

Many years ago, we would go once a week to rhe local bar for Karaoke. Ir was all locals in there and we all got on first name basis. We lived out in the boonies, and very rarely got anyone on the doorstep.  One day the bell rings and there stood this lovely couple from Karaoke. Oh hello, says I, all friendly like.  And then they whipped out The Watchtower!  Didn't see that coming. Said no thanks and off they trotted.  

For some reason although I am fairly normal and rational in most ways I cannot stand nuns. Living near the Minster town of Southwell there are a few of them knocking around. I have to cross over the road or look away. It is a phobia, like some people don’t like spiders. It must not be so rare as it does have a recognised name ‘Sphenisciphobia’

I can remember when we lived in Nottingham,  our gp surgery was the Mary Potter health Centre, on Gregory blvd., one of the nurses there was a nun. Can't  recall her name but she was referred to as 'Sister', she was a lovely lady and always had time to talk to you. She still hurt though, with the flu jabs.