Things you don't see anymore

By Protection points do you mean the very old Iron signs still by the roadside marking the ''City Boundary'' ?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The protection point I'm referring to was just written on the bottom of the Corporation bus stop. It was to cover the MGO buses from Ilkeston. B2 I think it was. Likewise, you couldn't get off a blue bus until the stop opposite the Wheelhouse, coming from town.

59 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

By Protection points do you mean the very old Iron signs still by the roadside marking the ''City Boundary'' ?

No, they were green with white lettering, slightly shield shaped as I remember. A bit smaller than a 'bus stop sign.

13 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Double Decker Red buses number 84 ......going to and from Sutton in Ashfield to Nottingham

Red and Cream Trent buses Ben, You could get a dark red East Midland from Mansfield to Nottingham.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:15 AM, IAN FINN said:

Are Bartons buses still going

Yes Ian, now called Trent Barton. Trent bought Barton Transport in 1989 they combined the Trent and Barton brands in 2005.

I always thought the Barton buses looked "funny" as I was more used to seeing the AEC Regents or Bristol Lodekkas of Midland General or Mansfield District Traction. The only NCT buses I have ever been on were trolley buses from Slab Square down to Trent Bridge and back

Oz i used MGO everyday to go to Alfreton High School from Nuthall in the late 50s to the early60s they were the AEC Regents loved the sound of that diesel tickover and sitting upstairs on the front row doing homework it was about a forty minute ride each way either the B3 or the C5 it was one and threepence return or 8pence each way.

Did they not have brown colourd buses going to West Bridgeford? 

Which double deckers had seats that went all the way along and just had a side passage to get to your seat?

Yes, West Bridgford had their own brown-and-cream coloured buses until they were taken over by NCT in the late 60s.

A lot to companies had buses with side gangways on the upper deck. It was to reduce the overall height of the bus so that it could go under low bridges. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

A lot to companies had buses with side gangways on the upper deck. It was to reduce the overall height of the bus so that it could go under low bridges. 

Yes, the blue Midland General had them they were AEC Regent III with a Lowbridge body. As a randy teenager if you sat in the aisle seat you could often enjoy a well endowed clippie leaning over you to collect the fares from the seats away from the side aisle.

9 hours ago, notty ash said:

Barton had the ultimate lowbridge bus, a Dennis Loline chassis with lowbridge bodywork.

Great photo, as I said in an earlier post, somehow to me Barton's double deckers never looked "right", all out of proportion. I guess it was mainly what you were brought up with and what you got used to..

A Coal Fire with me useing a toasting fork.

The only way to make good toast.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Toasting on the coal fire until the bread falls off the fork and into the fire dam it.

At least it's well done Ian  just pick it up and dust coal ash off what more can you ask for?

One of mams saying when toasting on the fire... "when it's brown it's done, when it's black it's buggered"...

• Like 2

Whips n' Tops.

Marbles, 

skipping Ropes,