Things you don't see anymore

Pogo sticks, maypole dancing, pass the pigs

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Home made trolleys made of wood and pram wheels. Wages when it was cash in a little pay packet. Full service at the petrol stations.

Just to add a little more Ian, for you younger one's out there, We all looked forward to Friday/Saturday when the boss came in with those little brown envelops with your name on. After opening you took out a long strip of white paper, Gosh!! look what tax I'm paying (looking at the long strip) work all week only for tax man to take most of it.  This was norm banta from at least one of us.    PS Being in the hairdressing trade and in the 60/70s being paid peanuts, most of us relied on our tips to make up our wages but we even had to pay tax on them, and all for a 44/42 hours a week.

I was that person who went to the local bank to get the cash to pay the wages and then put it neatly into those brown envelopes and hand write peoples names on the front. I’d forgotten that. 

On 4/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, MRS B said:

Pogo sticks, maypole dancing, pass the pigs

One Saturday in August 1960 for my 10th birthday my mum and dad took me into town to choose a present. We spent several hours looking around the big Co-Op on Parliament St, followed by Beecrofts (Pelham St) and Skills before finishing up in Redmayne & Todd on Carrington St where I chose a pogo stick.

It took me several days to master it, getting the insides of my knees very bruised in the process but thereafter I never looked back. Nearly all my friends who had a go struggled to stay on it but I became quite an expert and could climb stairs and jump over things. It all came to an end when my cousin bounced off our path and onto the lawn where the stick sank into the earth and the rubber ferrule on the end remained stuck deep in the lawn when we pulled the stick out. 

• Like 1

I had a red pogo stick without a cross handle at the top.  I remember I took it to primary school in about 1953 and bounced hundreds of times at playtime.  It was very heavy for me to carry to and from school so I only did that once!  My friend had a blue pogo stick with a cross handle which was easier to use.

I might have been up for it back in the day. I had 2, one of which had lost the rubber plug on the bottom but it was the better stick so you can imagine the noise it made on concrete. The new one hardly got a look in. Both had a cross handle on top. Golly they kept me occupied for hours

Easter Bonnets 

I first used these back in 1978 in an Apple II Europlus. The first Apple model to be sold in Europe. One disc was used to boot the DOS (disc operating system) and a second loaded the program. That would be either a word processor or the very first spreadsheet, VisiCalc. The kit was bought from Parr Computer Services in Nottingham. I was the second customer for one of these, the first being Carlsborough Sound Systems. I’ve been an Apple user in business and home systems for 44 years.

Edit. I’ve just checked and they were 5.25” floppies. I thought 8” seemed a bit large! 

I recall using 8" floppies in a twin drive at work mid-late 1980s.  We had upgraded from a system using punched paper tapes.

• Like 1

I had some floppy disks which were in different colours - red, orange, green, yellow and blue.  I liked them because it helped to categorise documents.  Now   We just have folders within folders within folders….etc

(and I loved having colours instead of just boring black!)

My first copy of Word came on floppies... 13 of 'em... still got them in a drawer somewhere.

My floppy disc went with my TIME computer.

Back to post Things you don't see any mor

"Amstrad"   keyboard/typwriter/computer.

Table top "Games"

not sure of the name of this product but you had a tenis court and a little white ball/dot would  bounce across the screen.

Can any one tell me what it was called 

Amstrad (Alan Michael Sugar Trading) was ubiquitous in the low-end HiFi market.  One of the first to create all-in-one 'system' (radio, cassette tape, turntable and amplifier).  The all-in-one Amstrad PC followed (PCW8256), with an odd size of floppy disk when all others went with 3.5".  Marketed as a word processor for small businesses and was bundled with dot matrix printer.  Still have one!

I have several old laptops. The earliest is a Panasonic cf-25. I installed Windows 95 from floppy disks recently. I have 2 versions of Win 95, one on 14 floppies and the other on 22. I also have MS word on floppies and office suit which is on about 35 floppies. I collect software on floppies and it’s amazing what can fit on 1.44 mb. 

I still have an Atari 4 meg STE.  Had a 3.5 floppy and a 4 meg hd.   Atari computers never really seemed to catch on.  Probably because of their reputation for video games.  The Mega was a serious computer and I did all my word processing and desktop publishing on it.  Sometimes known as the poor man's Mac.  Still gathering dust in my garage.  Guess I'm hoping it will become a collectors item one day.  I'll probably be pushing up daisies first.  Lol.

Had 5.25 inch discs for my first work PC. One for SuperCalc (for spreadsheets) and one for WordStar (word processing). That would have been about 1987/88.

Couple of years later, it was replaced by a laptop - a Zenith 486DX running Windows 3.1 with 3.5 disc, 64k memory, 6.4Meg hard drive, and a 28.8 dial-up modem. Weighed about half a ton. Still got that in the loft.

DOS, I used to keep a "cheat sheet" for the DOS commands at side of the computer. I learned Morse Code and practiced random characters on an old Texas Instruments Tower computer in the early 90's.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:46 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

old Texas Instruments Tower computer in the early 90's.

I had a Texas Instrument TI-99 computer back in the late 80's. Games could be loaded by a ROM module or from a cassette tape player. Unfortunately they would only load reliably from one model Panasonic recorder and I had to go to Sheffield to get one. It did have a 16-bit processor and I remember one game in particular called Parsec, a space invaders type game that was great fun, but it was not my best ever purchase.