Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

@Cliff Ton i remember my grandmother who lived in carrington, had one of those whistling kettles , and the teapot cosy on the table , we'd have tea , with sliced bread  with butter on it , and peach in carnation milk , lovely memories !

She'd have a black beret which she used to wear for church , i would put it on and look in her mirror making out i was a commando , using her hairbrush as a rifle !!

19 hours ago, MRS B said:

Was the fuse wire wound onto little cardboard packs with dents in them?

Yes Mrs B.  Usually 5 amp for lighting circuits, 15 amp for immersion heater, 30 amp for power sockets, cookers and showers.  It was tinned copper wire and not as sensitive as modern circuit breakers.  Fuse wire would 'fuse' or 'blow' (melt) when the current got to about three times the rating.

I have a whistling kettle at my allotment on a gas camping stove. It’s great cos you can hear it wherever you are. I remember having one at home as a kid and the cat used to go bonkers when it started and hid somewhere upstairs.

Last time I saw anyone using matchsticks to put bare wires into a socket was when my then father in law did it.

His job at the time was an underground electrician at Cotgrave colliery..

My brother worked at Cotgrave colliery.  Did your father in law used to take snap with him to work? My nephews still live in Cotgrave.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MRS B said:

Did your father in law used to take snap with him to work?

Yes and my dad, brother and most of my uncles as they all worked at the local collieries. They also had a dudley for their water. When the miners came to the Notts coalfields you would hear the word bait instead of snap. My dad's snap tin always had jam and Caerphilly cheese sandwiches, he said that Caerphilly cheese did not sweat when working in the hot parts of the mine.  I never did work in the mines and took my snap in a plastic Tupperware container which we still have, now almost 60 years old. 

Snap tin

Image result for snap tin

Dudley

Old Vintage Miners Dudley Tin Water Bottle Canteen

• Upvote 1

@MRS B the word snap little known down south i reckon,   as one day i was walking to work in the middle of winter in Portsmouth hampshire , and i dint have any gloves on so decided to put my snap box under me jumper.

All of a sudden  a police car swerved to an halt and started firing questions at me , apparently they'd been a robbery of a coloured television, 

he said grumpily what's up your jumper lad ?   I said me snap , he thought i was talking about drugs until i showed him my snap box, 

he asked me if I'd seen anyone else in the area , i said yeah they was a guy with a mask on and a stripy jumper , carry a bag that said loot on it  !!

• Upvote 1
On 6/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Cliff Ton said:

On the subject of kettles, does anyone still have steam whistling kettles ?   We always had one when I was young.

No electricity or anything else involved.

Yes me. Got through 3 electric kettles that went phut in 5/6 years & I got fed up of buying new ones: Found the whistling kettle we used to use for camping yonks ago & just put it on the gas hob & use that now. Our cat pix couldn't care less when it boils. When we had a power cut I was boiling water for the neighbours as they all have electric cookers/hobs, we're the only one with a gas hob... 

I can remember when everyone in Cotgrave used to speak Geordie when the miners moved south after the pit closures in the NE. Cotgrave used to be the most profitable pit in the country.

Me to Mrs B, Bus out off broad marsh..empty by Cotgrave..1989..

Could be wrong.. wasn't it isle 11 directly facing the exit from broad marsh shopping centre.

Two buses, early roughly 10.30 pm

terminated Bingham, later branched out in to the vale villages

I think you’re right HSR. From Cotgrave it went to Cropwell Butler, Bishop, Colston Bassett and Langar I think. We lived at Butler for some time, next to Mr Parr of the sausage makers. I can remember him handing sausages over the fence to my dad to try! I didn’t really enjoy living there, too far away from the Nottingham action.

Mrs.B, when I were about 11 or 12 ish, I had a pal from our street who had relatives in Cropwell Butler, who had a bakery. When we used to go there to visit and play around the old Grantham canal and locks. When we'd finished, my pal 'Snowy' Cooper used to ask his auntie if they'd got any stale cakes left. These were usually going to rock hard or cream starting to sour, but to us scruffy urchins, it were sheer bliss. Come to think of it, can't remember where we got the bus fare from ! Maybe we were paid to 'bugger off' for a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Beekay, there was a bakery yes but it had closed by the time we went there in the late 60’s. It’s now a very posh house called the Old Bakery (unsurprisingly) Lovely village and would happily live there now (not that I could afford to) but a bit too out in the sticks when you’re in your teens. There was just a pub and the Post Office when I was there.

Mrs.B, I was talking about 1954/55. Way before your time, which makes me sound ancient and I'm only 79.  B.

• Like 1

Sorry Beekay, I was only born in 1955. 

Towd ya  Mrs.B, I said you were only a tiddler. But you do reside in a beautiful county. thumbsup

I am a tiddler Beekay and I do reside in a beautiful county but my dream has always been to buy the house that I was born in on Tollerton Lane in Tollerton. Last sold for 300K so it’s doubtful unless I win the lottery. Always do a “rekkie” there when I’m in the area and open the window on my car on Plumtree Lane under the bridge before the Griffin pub to shout some thing loud cos that’s what my dad used to do for a laugh. 

• Upvote 1

PORK FARMS

Every thing they sold espeacilly there ice buns

these ice buns were to die for.

People who pay with  cash.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

PORK FARMS

Every thing they sold espeacilly there ice buns

these ice buns were to die for.

My mam used to work there !

• Like 1