Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Has anyone seen any Nun's about?

On 6/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, IAN FINN said:

We did the same at Blanchards Bakery at Watnall scrounge the old cream cakes that were getting hard before they took them to the local piggery.

Ian, when I was a Park ranger back in 1977, we used to nip to the bakery on Hucknall Road, to collect stale bread and cakes etc for our wild fowl, ducks geese etc. Used to get about 3 flour sacks of stuff and among it would be fruit cake and sponges, some of it only a couple of days out of date. It was quite common for folks to sort through the sacks and say, 'I'm having that one or that one"! Then take the odd cake slab for their tea... The birds never knew. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

When you went to Skeg on a day trip did your family have a big white jug of tea with milk and sugar addad  cost?                             2/6  with deposit 2/6  = 5/-

• Like 1

Dint do it at Skeggy Mary, but did at Mablethorpe and sat on the concrete steps and usually sat within viewing distance of the proprietor. Dint want to risk losing the deposit.

• Like 1

Always used to go to the east coast for holidays, can remember passing a caravan site called the Poplar Zareba, seemed a very exotic name at the time. Used to rent a bungalow on Wall Lane in  Ingoldmells which had a field at the back where the beach donkeys were kept and then at the back of that Butlins. Can remember hearing Heinz belting out “Just like Eddie” he was clearly my hero at a very early age!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

Stayed at a bungalow on Golf Rd. Mablethorpe always had our photos taken walking up the pullover to the beach.

Ian if I remember it was Wrights who use to take the photos.

When we went on holiday it was mostley Whinthorp at Skeg now and again we would have a change and go to the seaslde town which had only a long road, which went up to the pullover to the beach, this town is  better know as Mablethorpe, in fact we were there that year when they had floods, we came home just one week before it was flooded.  In 1999 we packed our bags and went to live at the coast, while out house hunting there was a beautiful large house for sale in Mablethorpe, while viewing it the wallpaper had been removed, and what was on the wall a tide mark of were the water level had come up to during the floods.

We did not buy this house, we ende up at Andeby, not Anderby Creek but Anderby Village. (but thats  another story)

My parents rented a bungalow at Ingoldmells in the 50s it was pouring with rain when we arrived rained all week the sun came out on the Saurday as we were leaving the dykes were overflowing the fields were flooded we had to resign to playing indoor games it was the longest week of my life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Ian if I remember it was Wrights who use to take the photos.

The photography company was Wrates. Regards, Will2017

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

When we went on holiday it was mostley Whinthorp at Skeg now and again we would have a change and go to the seaslde town which had only a long road, which went up to the pullover to the beach, this town is  better know as Mablethorpe, in fact we were there that year when they had floods, we came home just one week before it was flooded.  In 1999 we packed our bags and went to live at the coast, while out house hunting there was a beautiful large house for sale in Mablethorpe, while viewing it the wallpaper had been removed, and what was on the wall a tide mark of were the water level had come up to during the floods.

We did not buy this house, we ende up at Andeby, not Anderby Creek but Anderby Village. (but thats  another story)

My Aunty used to live in the station house at Mumby, used to love going over there in the summer. 

Not seen or used for decades: repairing car bodywork with fibreglass.  Maybe cars just don't rust the way they used to since zinc treatment of the body shells became commonplace.

I remember buying kits in the 1970s/1980s from the likes of Motorists Discount Centres, containing resin and hardener together with pieces of fine and coarse fibreglass matting.  Think it was David's Isopon P40 (a quick Google shows the resin is still available).

Before fibreglass, cars were repaired with lead smoothed over a metal mesh. Not done it since the days of rust before your eyes Vauxhalls or silver paint peeling Fords...

5 hours ago, Brew said:

silver paint peeling Fords.

Not just Fords, here in OZ many cars including expensive ones suffer from peeling clear coat paint. It became more noticeable with certain silver and blue GM Holdens and other makes particularly of a certain era. Maybe the water based clear coat broke down under our harsh UV light.

Sorry boy's this post for girls only ?  why well I don't think any of you chaps would have brought these.

Girls can you remember the book's that we used to get, when you had to cut out the girl/boy model and then cut out the cloths and they had  carboard tabs on and which some time's you ended up cutting of.  I think the price of the books was about 10d  or 1/-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, David sheridan said:

I remember mary , i used to cut off the tabs when my sister wasn't looking !

i do like you but you are are awful.

• Upvote 1