Things you don't see anymore

The cut out dolls , remind me i asked my mum to save me any boxs , cornflake boxes were my favourite , i used to cut piece and put racehorse names on them and race them around the carpet, them days we made our own toys and things to amuse us , no cellphones or playstation not like now !!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I remember as a little kid, getting hold of a shoe box, and using scraps of material etc, making a bed in it. I put a small hole in one end of the box and fixed string in the hole. I then dragged my pet conker around in the box! You had to play with whatever you could lay hands on, ha ha.

• Like 3

@katyjay wot did you name your pet conker , i remember we used to throw sticks up the conker trees near morley school, st anns well rd i think ?

Hoping we'd get a good,un !!

Thoes Big Red Boxes with large black telephones in.

Telephone Boxes with a phone in.

• Like 1

@mary1947 very true a telephone box that actually works instead of plants and reading books in it , and occasionally saucy ladies calling cards , not that i ever availed meself of a card mind !!!!

• Like 1

Remember BT

Buzzby   ""It's Good To Talk""

• Like 1

Ban The Bomb Symbol

Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament

women camping out in Greenham Common.

Did it do any good?

• Upvote 1

Summat else you don't see= Brooks Morning Coffee biscuits. Not seen since 1960. Could get through a whole packet with a cup of tea.   B.

Mary1947, As per your above post, No, it did no bloody good at all.   B.

Was it really futile? How do we judge? How do we know how things would have turned out had there been no protest, if their continued presence did not keep nuclear arms in the public eye, and in the mind of politicians?

The airbase is now gone, so who can say for sure the protest did not have an influence in the decision to close it?

The CND is still active as an international movement.

We have to admire the tenacity of those women if nothing else

• Like 1

The CND protest at Greenham Common was nonsense. The CND campaign had chosen a soft target with which to publicise their aims. Has it made any difference? No!

I noticed with irritation that these, so called, nuclear disarmament martyrs never attempted to make their presence felt against the Russians. They probably silently applauded the Russian Bear who, over subsequent years, were devising and plotting the spread of evil, lies and murder across national borders with impunity.

If the nuclear martyrs are still active or still harbour, their naïve views try protesting on the streets of Russia. If they seek further publicity for their lost cause, they can be sure of a rapid and painful response.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 3/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Double Decker Red buses number 84 ......going to and from Sutton in Ashfield to Nottingham........

I still call it the 84 and the 61 for us in Annesley Rows

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

The CND protest at Greenham Common was nonsense. The CND campaign had chosen a soft target with which to publicise their aims. Has it made any difference? No!

Alpha, I've always thought your posts quite erudite, though I disagree with a lot of it.

This latest diatribe however is, quite frankly, nothing more than assumptive  nonsense, and you entirely miss the point. 

As for protesting abroad, you obviously forgot that there were peace camps, protests, blockades and marches all across Europe at the time.

CND organised the human chain from Aldermaston to Greenham.  But the peace camp, as far as I can recall, was purely down to the women in the peace camp. And quite frankly, only women had the stamina to keep it going for 19 years in my view.

Did they win? Did they fail? I don't know, but they committed a big part of their lives to something they believed in, i.e., they got off their arses, and right or wrong, actually did something.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Righto Denshaw, let's you and I talk about Bilborough depot. 1962 to 1966, the best years of my working life. Although I probably didn't think so at the time.   B.

• Like 1

Sorry folks i just thought it was something you don't see anymore. Did not intend it to get out of control.

• Upvote 1