Things you don't see anymore

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Alpha, I've always thought your posts quite erudite, though I disagree with a lot of it.

This latest diatribe however is, quite frankly, nothing more than assumptive  nonsense, and you entirely miss the point. 

As for protesting abroad, you obviously forgot that there were peace camps, protests, blockades and marches all across Europe at the time.

CND organised the human chain from Aldermaston to Greenham.  But the peace camp, as far as I can recall, was purely down to the women in the peace camp. And quite frankly, only women had the stamina to keep it going for 19 years in my view.

Did they win? Did they fail? I don't know, but they committed a big part of their lives to something they believed in, i.e., they got off their arses, and right or wrong, actually did something.

But most of them were either hippies, drop outs or communist trying to bring the country to a stand still , their arses could of be used to something more useful like cooking the old mans tea.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We have been asked to keep this in the appropriate thread... Let's play nice and do as we are told...

Is Dolly Blue still available? It was a little blue lump, a bit smaller than a golf ball that came in a small cotton bag.

Think it was used as a whitener for shirts etc. Mam used to use it in my boating lake - the kitchen sink, with matchbox boats floating in it. 

Ian, could it have been gentian violet (purple) that your mum put on insect bites?

• Like 1

Not long ago there was still some washing powder with blue granules in it - Daz ?

I remember Lever bros introducing another powder with 'bits' in. That was, I believe, Radiant. Remember going out with a van load of the stuff, distributing samples to people's house, who were supervisors teams delivering packets all round the houses as samples. Seemed to think it was a first biological powder.   B.

The Dolly blue bag was a blue tablet a bit like a dishwasher tablet is now in a little linen bag which was supposed to be for whitening clothes but was excellent for wasp stings. Wasn’t gentian violet for verrucas ?  

My mum always used Daz in her Servis twin tub washer (one for washing and one for rinsing) and then used a hand operated mangle that fascinated me after the clothes were lifted out of the rinse with wooden tongs. Took some strength to wring the clothes out in that!

Also a mincer that used to have a clamp that fitted onto the table and 3 different sized metal wheels . Always used to have mince on toast on a Monday from whatever we had for Sunday lunch, very tasty.

10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Wasn’t gentian violet for verrucas ?  

Didn't the hospitals use Gentian violet as a treatment to dab on closed wounds etc. I remember coming out of children's hospital numerous times, stitched up and big purple patches in various places, so everyone knew what you'd been up to.   B.

• Like 1

Amazon have Rekkits Dolly blue bags on their website. It does say currently out of stock which it’s probably said for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Not sure if any of you gents will remember these, but I'm sure the ladies will.

POPIT Beads  not sure if the name ir correct but I am sure some one will tell me.

Empty cotton reals with four small nail on the top. you would wind slilk or wool around the nails and after taking the bottom stich over the top one you end up with a ;long knltted rope. 

Can any one remember whit it was called

On 6/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Anyone remember their real name in Nottingham ?

Was it Snottingham?    

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Empty cotton reals with four small nail on the top. you would wind slilk or wool around the nails and after taking the bottom stich over the top one you end up with a ;long knltted rope. 

Can any one remember whit it was called

French Knitting Mary.  I bought a kit from John Lewis for our granddaughter last Christmas but doubt very much if she’s even looked at it. 

• Like 1

Loved French knitting and plaiting wool tethered on a chair. Also rug making with the hooks and the wooden board that you used to measure the wool on before you cut it. Am sure somewhere I still have the hook. 

@mary1947 o remember pop it beads because my daughter liked them in the 1970s

@LizzieM I liked doing French knitting but never knew what to do with the resulting ‘rope’ !

@MRS Bi started making a rug before I got married but got fed up with it halfway through.  An elderly neighbour finished it for me.