Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Sounds an interesting read, this ones a Lincolnshire privy, well Skegness actually, was these the ones emptied by the night soil men, ten O clock horses or would it have been a sort of composting system

Rog

When we lived in Anderby we had cess-pits and they were emptied by Cess-Pit -Sid. Just berfore we left 2003 they were going to put most of the village onto the main sewer, just thinking of Cess-Pit -Sid going to sign on and the interviewer asked well Mr Sid what job did you do. ??  The Nottinghamshire 10'o'clock Horses were  used  in Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh; they had outside tiolet bin's. These had to be emptid  they woud come at 10'o'clock with a horse and cart, to empty them.  I was told  this as when I met the master my father in law used to live in Narrow marsh,

• Like 1

There were septic tanks in the village when we came out here in 1962. A septic tank is a miniature sewage processing system and does not need emptying like a cess pit. For us they worked without any problem with no blockages.  Subsequently we were connected to mains drainage but our current home was the last on the lane to be connected both to the mains drainage and to a mains gas supply. Further along the lane they still have septic tanks and heat with oil or calor gas.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

When I was young I remember standing by the side of the road taking car numbers (i.e. the registration numbers). Totally pointless exercise but it kept me amused for a few years.

I remember the novelty of seeing the first suffix registrations in 1963. 

And nobody had personalised numbers back then.

• Like 2

Scunthorpe was the most common BRS base when the drove along the Gotham road at the top of Farnborough road when I was a youngster

Rog

• Like 1

We never thought much about personalised registrations back in those days. I remember my father having a Standard 10, VT0 874 and a Jag VLL 69 ( I didn’t realise the naughtiness then!) I had a 1947 MG, FBT20 and a Mini 71 STO but didn’t think of them as ‘personalised’. We both have personalised registrations now. Some people consider them pretentious, me included, but I don’t care! :biggrin:

• Like 1

A sign of how things have changed.......what is now someone's present day personalised car plate (and often having a value in ££ thousands) was just a routine registration back in the 60s to which no-one gave a second glance. It just happened to be what the car had randomly been landed with.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Opposite of this topic I just realised something that has never changed in my lifetime.... the method of opening a tin of Corned Beef, we still use the key! Never seen Corned Beef without the key.

• Like 1

I love corned beef but really dislike opening corned beef tins  - the key sometimes goes a bit ‘wrong’ and its easy to cut yourself as the edges are very sharp.    Then it’s the prising it out of the tin!

• Like 3

A couple of weeks ago I bought a tin of corned beef and when we decided to use it, to my dismay the key was missing. 'Er indoors went into panic mode like it was Armageddon. Me , I just got me long nosed pliers and used them. Came off quite easily, however, I couldn't get the strip of me pliers so had to use another pair to unroll it off the jaws. Life is so complicated.

• Like 3
On 3/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, katyjay said:

I open the tin by using the can opener both ends, then push the thin end out the thick end. Voila.

You must have a drawer full of spare keys if we need one then smile2

I was down at Nottingham General one day after a Pit accident and there were three Corned Beef tin injuries there  (all cuts). I was glad I worked at Newstead Pit instead of Fray Bentos, it was sfer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben's type of shops used to get corned beef in bigger tins and they were opened with industrial tin openers (like catering type). You could then buy it loose. The grocer would put it in the bacon slicer and cut you a quarter or two ounce etc, depending how much mum asked for.

• Like 1

Indeed we did Beekay.........they came in 6lb tins same shape as the 12 oz Fray Bentos ones.......

Saw many accidents when staff were opening them....

The most common brand we used at Marsdens was 'Libby's''.........

Most bacon machines cut bacon on what was called a number 6 in thickness.......corned beef and other cooked meats were cut thinner on number 4...........However the more skilled assistants would use a long knife.........obviously i was one such...:)

• Like 1

I've still got a 'Scar'' from about 64 at the base of my thumb.....when i was cleaning one of those Red' machines called i think ''Berkalls''.............