Things you don't see anymore

That's the name Cliff ton...........some distant memories there...........at the end of every days trading they had to be cleaned and sharpened...not a job i enjoyed............

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Mrs.Taylor in the shop near us would cut the corned beef so thin, you could see daylight through it.

As a kid I was amazed at the one in the Co-op at Annesley. I was often prompted to buy what I came in for by the staff with my written note in hand with Co-op number as well. Maybe I should be telling this to a psychiatrist ??

Talking of fray bentos, as kids in bulwell someone spread the rumor that there was a ghost train at midnight that ran along bulwell disused rail embankment,  as you enter bulwell hall park from I think Springfield road ? 

So we dared each other to camp out and see which was the bravest to face the phantom ghost train , we said bring a fray bentos pie , and we will cook it on our camp fire,  as the fire got going some one said who brought a tin opener ? 

We all looked at each other gormless, no tin opener so we starved that night and there was no ghost train, someone must of been telling porkies !!!!

• Like 3

I can remember when the Falklands War was on that corned beef was quite difficult to get hold of as a lot came from Argentina. Folks getting killed and us Brits were wittering about corned beef!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most of our corned beef still comes from Argentina MrsB. Are you going to make a nice corned beef hash? I'd kill for that.

Beekay corned beef hash is so easy to make! We like to use new potatoes cut in half but you can use ordinary ones. Boil off the potatoes with white onion chopped and carrots sliced with only enough water to cover  and when done add cubed corned beef from a can with the fat taken off (put corned beef in fridge the night before, easier to cut) Add two crumbled oxo cubes and leave the lid off and keep simmering to thicken. We call it “scouse” My husband takes it to work quite often. This is a recipe handed down from his family. Great with crusts of bread and loads of proper butter.

• Like 2

Third of a tin of corned beef, semi mashed with a fork, half a small tin of baked beans mixed together add pepper and Worcestershire sauce and zapped in the microwave while the toaster does it job. Plenty of butter on the toast, tip the hash on the toast and brew a good coffee. Top breakfast!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have tried many times to make corned beef hotpot but it never tastes as good as my grandma made. I am going to try Oztalgian's recipe with the baked beans.

Gem, another one to try....

When 'er indoors has made a pan of stew, when it's cooked, a minute before serving up we drop cubes of corned beef in and let it simmer for a bit. With a piece of crusty bread it's delicious. Even better the next day if any left, that is. 

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 3:39 PM, MargieH said:

I love corned beef but really dislike opening corned beef tins  - the key sometimes goes a bit ‘wrong’ and its easy to cut yourself as the edges are very sharp.    Then it’s the prising it out of the tin!

Margie, I've come to like corned beef as I've aged particularly corned beef hash which I think is delicious. It is odd that they still can it in those hazardous cans with keys. So many nasty cuts.

Talking of Fray Bentos, they do a very tasty steak and kidney pudding. The casing is made with suet and is quite soft. Far superior to a pie IMHO. I love kidneys as did my dad but my wife thinks they taste of wee. A pork chop with the kidney attached is a rare treat.

I remember there was a scare relating to Fray Bentos tinned pies in the 1960s. They'd despatched a shipment that had made people ill, or something of the sort. They fell out of favour for some time. My mother never bought such things anyway but I recall the chap who ran the local grocery shop complaining that no one was buying them.  Ben might remember more about it as it was during his era behind the counter.

Just been checking up on corned beef, which we don’t eat very often. I’m pleased we don’t as it appears to be well up on the list of unhealthy foods. High in fat and sodium and contains carcinogens. At my age the grim reaper is ready to take me but I don’t want ‘corned beef poisoning’ on my death certificate’. No more corned beef for me then!

• Like 1

Best corned beef receipe. Gently fry chopped onion untIl soft, add tin  of chopped tomatoes and simmer gently. Cut a tin of corned beef into cubes, add to pan and “mosh” the corned beef down into the sauce. Simmer until hot. Great with pasta or chips etc.

• Like 3
On 7/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, mary1947 said:

To have the gas tar bubbles you must live on a road with cobbles

.Of cause where there are cobbles you must have chocks. Chocks not sure of spelling but it was a hole between cobbles for your marbles games.

Yes Leicester street in st anns was a cobble stone street as all the other street in thaf area too , we loved those old st anns streets brings back sweet childhood memories!

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Even better the next day if any left, that is. 

Stew or any slow cooked food is always better for the second cooking or re-heating

10 hours ago, Mess said:

It is odd that they still can it in those hazardous cans with keys. So many nasty cuts.

I've still got the scars on my thumb from a corned beef tin when the key broke whilst opening the tin for a picnic on the beach at "Jinglebells" in the 60s.

I agree with Mess, it is the 21st century, surely we can come up with something better for our corned beef and Mrs.Mess about kidneys. Offal is awful

23 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember there was a scare relating to Fray Bentos tinned pies in the 1960s.

From what I've gleaned, this related to a typhoid scare in 1964. It affected, mainly, Fray Bentos products sold in Aberdeen but certainly put the wind up customers much further afield. I remember it distinctly.

Opinion is greatly divided upon whether they are actually pies at all. Pies, according to some, are defined as having pastry all round them, whereas Fray Bentos tinned offerings have no bottom layer of pastry. I'm told that the top layer is impossible to cook properly as, whilst the immediate outer layer goes crispy and brown, the under layers remain doughy and uncooked. That said, there must still be a market for them or they wouldn't be in the shops.