Things you don't see anymore

On the face of it we could have everything delivered. Many people do so and have continued after lockdown. We prefer to choose our own meat and vegetables. I don’t see what’s so sacrosanct about milk delivered to the door. I doubt it’s cheaper than the supermarkets nor is it a superior product ‘fresh from the dairy’. At one time we had a milkman, baker and ironmonger deliver. Someone recently set up a weekly vegetable stand in the village but it only lasted three weeks. He couldn’t carry the large and varied stocks of the supermarkets nor was it fresh veg from the garden. In the next village the shop does sell genuine fresh vegetables in season from a local grower.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

When I was knee high to a grass-hopper, I would go and see my grandad on his allotment what I do remember is that on his allotment there was a Damson tree and a Greenage tree, now days there never seems to be this old English fruit about anymore.

• Like 1

We had two Damson trees a Victoria plum tree a Pear tree and all kinds of Apple trees i always helped my dad prune them and collect the fruit and his Aunty bottled them lots of fruit for the coming winter.

• Like 2

Our damson tree fruits prolifically every year, unlike the apples which seem to run in two year cycles. The plums and greengages are eaten by the birds before we get to taste them. The medlar tree is loaded - but how many medlars do you really want? 

I've never meddled so wouldn't know how many I'd want,or need.

Me and 'Èr indoors did plant a pear tree at Thoresby Hall for our 50th anniversary, 8 years ago on September 4th. I'm told by visitors that it's doing very well.  But we only get to see it de-leafed in December. Will be going again this year, but I don't think I'll take a fruit basket.

Pears here are usually in a three yearly cycle (pears on tricycles?) Last year, the pears cropped very heavily. This year, virtually nothing. Damson's and apples look reasonable...and medlars, of course.

I’ve been unable to find medlar jelly in the supermarkets, not even Waitrose, but I’ve found it on Amazon so I’ve ordered a jar of Tiptree to see if it’s worth going into production this autumn. Probably one jar will last for months! If it was that popular it would be readily obtainable. 

A few years ago, I was in Morrison's next to King's Mill Hospital. A neighbour had been mentioning how he'd like some anchovies  but couldn't find any.  Given that Morrison's had a good fresh fish department, I asked the fishmonger.  He gave me an old-fashioned look and replied, "This is Mansfield, duck!".  Well, actually, it's Kirkby in Ashfield but he wasn't far off.  Apparently, they had tried stocking them but they didn't sell. 

@plantfitI often wonder where the large boats moored at Burton Waters sail to. The Fossdyke canal up to Torksey is pretty dull with high banks marring the view over the flat fenland. The tidal Trent below Newark (Cromwell lock) to the Humber is equally uninteresting and you can’t get into the Witham and on to Boston as Lincoln High Bridge is too low to allow passage. From my experience of the Trent marinas these large boats are just floating gin palaces! The most picturesque section of the Trent is from just above Newark to Colwick lock. Very few get to see it from the water but the towpath is good for walking and cycling on a suitable bike.

• Like 1

Phil, The most picturesque section of the Trent is along the embankment  Nottingham surely

Nottingham-004.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

It’s pleasant but not very rustic though Rog. We did, many years ago, moor up on County Hall steps and walked into Bridgford for provisions. I did a circular walk along the south bank, over the suspension bridge up the other side and back over Trent Bridge. We spent that evening moored by the water sports centre and the rest of the week was spent moored up at Hazleford lock where we could walk home to shower and get more food and drinks from the village shop.

• Like 1

When I looked after my mum I went with her club  on a senior trip. It was a river trip quite a way up the trent., with tea n' cakes. While traverling on the river, on the bank was a very large nest. Then I saw it. the bir.d it was a crane, and it was beautiful it is the first time veening one of these birds, I have never seen one since.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you all remember the Fish Monger he would have real crabs for sale in his window, Allso crab meat ohhhh can see it now in a sandwich I have tried to buy a tin of crab but know luck.  Question what has happend to all the crabs that lived in our seas?? have they all emigrated?

• Like 1

Very expensive Mary...and we ate em all......Chatka king Crab 6/6 circa 1960..............At Marsdens...Kept it in the Safe........

• Like 2

Just another things you don't see any more!!

Real toast done useing a toasting fork over a coal fire,

and can you remember cobblers toast.

Toasted one side and not the other,  

and if you had a chest infection you mum or gran would use goose fat and rub it onto your chest. not for getting camphor oil for your ear ache.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 11:20 PM, mary1947 said:

Can you all remember the Fish Monger he would have real crabs for sale in his window, Allso crab meat ohhhh can see it now in a sandwich I have tried to buy a tin of crab but know luck.  Question what has happend to all the crabs that lived in our seas?? have they all emigrated?

Think I may have eaten them all Mary. I was born near the sea and my grandparents still lived there. I spent my school

holidays every year with them. Grandad used to take me along the tide lines and rock pools hunting crabs , winkles , treading for eels etc . I adore crabs and ate so many as a child. My grandad used to go crabbing frequently and he’d bring a sackful home every time, he’d tip them out out onto the kitchen floor and mum said there’d be crabs running everywhere. She grew up with the same passion. And she taught me how to dress a crab and to be careful of “ the dead man’s fingers”

• Like 2

We had a fishmonger from Grimsby call on a Tuesday and he brought us fresh crabs in the summer months and fish at other times. It was only when I caught him buying fish at Morrisons did I cancel his visits. His fish prices were more expensive than Morrisons obviously!