katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

To quote Wikipedia, Poohsticks is a sport first mentioned in the Winnie-the-Pooh book 'The House at Pooh Corner'.

And since you, Poohbear, or your family have apparently been playing it as a sport for some years now, I guess that you would have to be a cert for the Gold? thumbsup

I was brought up on the 'Winnie the Pooh' books - still love them. Some of the poems are cute too

When I was one I had just begun

When I was two I was nearly new

Who can post the next line?

When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,

I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,

So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.”

• Upvote 1

It is getting difficult to bear but perhaps I am just grizzly this morning kickme

• Upvote 1

Pooh was never grizzly. He was just a Bear of very little brain!

Don't get upset, poohbear. I'm sure that MargieH meant to put 'very little braid.' We all know what a clever little ba bear you are, poohbear. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Points out of ten....

W the Pooh 10

Rupert 3

Paddington 6

Teddy Robinson 7

Any more bears out there?

Don't get upset, poohbear. I'm sure that MargieH meant to put 'very little braid.' We all know what a clever little ba bear you are, poohbear. :biggrin:

Careful who you're messing with....

cd24bd55.jpg

• Upvote 2

# 2810

Hi MargieH. Another bear for the list. Do you remember Electric Ted on the Economy Seven advert? Catchy little tune with it too. In 1980 one of these bears came free with Jackson electric cookers.

Not forgetting Yogi Bear and Boo Boo - smarter than your average bear.

• Upvote 1

B Shirley #2814. I actually can't remember that particular bear you mention.... The brain cells that had stored that information must have gone, along with all the others! What are we talking about....I've forgotten....

• Upvote 1

Over here there is Smoky the bear. Always threatening you about starting forest fires.

I could have sworn that someone said "icicles hanging from the eaves" recently in this thread but I can't find it anywhere! Anyhow, for whoever may have said that you don't see them any more here is a picture of some on Gretton Road, Mapperley, in January 1987:

scan0005.jpg

Something I haven't seen for a while is a static wick on the back of a car. I believe there was a theory that this helped prevent car sickness.

Is that the same as a chain hanging down, touching the ground?. I remember those

tomlinson @ 2823 Those earth ticklers probly did some good. Old car electrics had body earth returns and car tyres had a lot more rubber in them so sometimes you were sitting in a big metal charged box, must have caused some people to feel ill. The body rot it caused was for certain, remember how the radio aerials always rotted in the wing? We can get 5 year body warranties now, some Vauxhalls were gone in 4.