katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

Compo #2822

Where on Gretton road was that house ? I lived just around the corner, and the only one I can think of is George Varley's place, he was a local painter and decorator, the only other modern houses on Gretton, was 2 story on the bottom corner with Coronation road.

George was also a very decorated (excuse the pun) RAF pilot during the war, still had his handlebar mustache, nice bloke, his daughter Nina wasn't bad either :-)

Just looked on Google Earth and Gorges place, see here <iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sau!4v1433293448244!6m8!1m7!1s25p1G3i_CeKNnPf8MP7wxw!2m2!1d52.986482!2d-1.121584!3f108.7467607356334!4f1.360293099441293!5f0.7820865974627469"width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>the roof is different and the front elevation is rendered, so maybe the rear view ?

Got me intrigued now, the only other similar house was the Wells residence across the road and further up, but that was an old place that was heavily renovated by the son Brian after his mum died.

Sorry to go OT with this.

Re those "earth ticklers" I recall a court case where the "inventor/seller" was barred from claiming they helped prevent car sickness, can't recall all the details but virtually made him brankrupt

I lived for a few weeks in a house at the top of Gretton Road. I thought this bungalow was lower down on the right as you go down from Mapperley Top. I may be mistaken because there is another parallel road, Bonnington Road and I could possibly have been walking down Bonnington at the time. Does that make more sense?

Just looked at Google earth and I think the house in post #2827 is the one. It is almost 30yrs since I took the photo so it may have been "Done up" since then.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I've not seen a typewriter for many years.

I have recently thrown out an electric typewriter but I don't count that as a proper one.

Lead soldiers.

It is usually possible to skate on our local lake - but we are in the far north of Scotland :) A couple of winters ago I noticed a set of car tyre tracks going across the lake!

All the way across the Eastern end of the loch. several hundred yards. The centre never freezes deeply enough for a car.

Callard & Bowser butterscotch

Wallpapering the panels on doors.

I took the panels off our doors when we moved in and discovered antique pine doors beneath - which was nice :)

11150536_920518844676848_481458656860257

• Upvote 2

We had a Spirograph in the 70s when our kids were little. There are similar drawing things that the grandchildren have got but I don't think they are as good as the Spirograph was.

I had a Spirograph - loved it. Didn't generally like anything to do with drawing or painting - remember the Painting by Numbers sets? Got loads of them as presents but hated them!

Bloody Spirograph....you think your going so well then the Bloody thing slips a tooth.......................... Grrrrr

• Upvote 2

On railway stations:

In the buffet: A cake-stand with a dried-up cheese sandwich, curled up at its corners, covered with a glass dome. A fly is trapped inside the dome.

On the platform: An old pre-war chocolate-bar dispensing machine.

But not with pre-war chocolate ? :No1:

And I seem to have caught that fly :):bluespin04:

• Upvote 1

#2846. I always wondered, but daren't put 3d or 6d in to find out.

#2847 - I can confirm that the chocolate was OK. I used those machines many times - until one occasion when I put sixpence in and got only half a bar of chocolate.

• Upvote 1

chulla the railway sarnies had curled up corners so you could see what was in ,em!

• Upvote 1