katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

If you walk round Liverpool on a Saturday afternoon , most of the girls have their hair in rollers, young and old, with or without a headscarf but all getting ready for a good night out, scouse style.

• Upvote 2

I hope that they take em out before hitting the town !!!!!!

I think they do fly2,...........then they put their Teeth in, :biggrin:

Oh God !!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about. Perhaps I'm too choosy. LOL

Sue J #2866: That would have been a "Twist". Chewing tobacco that miners took down't pit. There was Twist and Condor "Plug". The twist was long and thin whereas teh plug was short and fat. Both were basically the same thing though.

Me, except I was posh, I used wallpaper.

My dad used to cadge old wallpaper sample books,we used the best pages

• Upvote 1

My aunt and uncle had a wallpaper shop, I got their old sample books. Used a lot of pages for drawing paper, others covered my school books. The kids of today think they invented recycling, we did it decades ago.

• Upvote 2

Plastic carrier bags?never saw one when I was a kid.,mam had a big shopping bag.Also mam used to send me to a shop on heathcote street, to buy paper lunch bags to pack my dads snap in,they sold all sizes of paper bags which were sold by the pound (weight)wonder what happened to that shop?

#2881: I have a book on the shelf in front of me that is covered with wallpaper from many years ago - albeit a little tatty! :)

We had some old wallpaper books. We used the reverse sides for drawing paper. It's amazing how many uses an old piece of wallpaper has!

I remember when sliced bread first became popular. I wanted some because my mates were getting it for their packed lunches at school. My dad would have no truck with this pasty stuff so he would cut very thin slices from an unsliced loaf and tell us that it was the same as sliced bread.

Gumption

Oh !!!!!! It still is being produced then.

Another trawl of my oddities and junk came up with this:

IMG_3620.JPG

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of school, wooden stems for the nibs, small china ink wells, a big bottle of ink with a spout, the smell of it and the mess! Those were the days before progressing to Platignum pens that fell apart after a week or twos' use.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin #2895: It is indeed crap and junk, hence the name of my little museum: "Compo's museum of 20th century tat".

• Upvote 1

Why, thank you Commo! :)

I was at a local heritage centre yesterday. The main displays were awfully dull and boring, as were the talks that went with them but passing an open door with the guide I saw a treasure trove of stuff hidden from public view. I asked the guide for a proper look and he begrudgingly obliged. The room was full of old stuff of all sorts and I spent a good old time rummaging through it all. Nothing was for sale but it made the visit worthwhile for me. The guide was a bit put-out when I suggested that they put it all on display to liven up the centre!