katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

Clapper?

A contraption given away with the first issue of the Beezer. A hard piece of cardboard folded to make a triangle and fixed to one end was some stiff brown paper which folded inside the cardboard. Held in one raised arm and when brought swiftly down the paper was forced out and gave a resounding clap like thunder.

Teachers straps.

Used quite frequently at my 1st school and I suspect most other schools, although the Head used a cane when he carried out public floggings. Where did the teachers buy them from? Were they standard issue when completing teacher training?

• Upvote 1

I remember that 'clapper' or whatever it was called. I bought the Beezer just to get it...

• Upvote 1

Snobs

Stick on rubber soles and heels for mending your own shoes. My grandfather used these. He used a last.

They're still about Shirley ... and I still do them.... and I still have a couple of lasts in the garage

• Upvote 1

Karlton, as I've mentioned in another place, I've still got my original snobs...

Men tipping their caps.

Karlton, as I've mentioned in another place, I've still got my original snobs...

Yer go out with some posh folk then Marg. Teeee Heee

• Upvote 2

Coal Fires, toasting forks.

• Upvote 1

Scammell Scarab, loved the old British Railway lorries

Home made cloth bags with a draw string for carrying gym kit to school and wooden pencil cases, now expensive things to by at

'By-Gone' sales.

Re #2936, I used to collect old brass toasting forks when I lived in an old cottage. I've still got about thirty under the stairs.

Difficult to display in a 3 bed semi.

Spats

Karlton #2932

I mix with all sorts - some who think they are better than others and some who feel they are not as good. It doesn't worry me who people are (or who they think they are) This, of course, has nothing to do with my little plaster cubes - my snobs! Since writing about snobs, I've tried to play the game and have realised that I'm not as good at it as I used to be. And why are they called snobs I wonder.... My mum said when she was young they played with pebbles and called it 'five stones'. Perhaps only the posh people could afford to buy the plaster cubes and that's why they were called snobs?

And does it matter?

Sorry for this rambling post...

MargieH #2941

I was only joking Marg lol I have no idea why they were called snobs either.

• Upvote 1

#2902: Talking of plaster/rubber moulds, here is a gnome that I made from one of those moulds in 1977. I used sharp sand and cement instead of plaster and it still survives today, albeit in need of a lick of paint here and there! when I made him I gave him to my (late) mother, who named him Gregory after the road I lived on at the time (Gregory Street, Lenton).

IMG_3629.JPG

• Upvote 1

Even in that state, he's better than these plastic or resin objects.

• Upvote 1

Fulcrum type chemists' scales:

DSCN2371.JPG