katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

A Policeman in the street !!!, Open topped paper Packet of five Woodbines, A Packet of Kensitas Cigs with a small pack of " Four for your friends" attached. KIds playing " Snobs " and Marbles, we used to stand a Haflpenny or a Penny in a crack in the Paving slabs and then from six or so Slabs away kids would try to hit the Coin and you would sit with your legs spread catching all the Marbles until it was hit. We would also play " Tin Can Alerty " , a Tin can would be kicked and whilst the fetcher went for the can the others would disperse to hide.--- Bread and Dripping Sandwiches !!!. Dad skinning a Rabbit hanging from a Nail. A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can.

" A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can" Must have been posh roadworks? the ones I recall had a coke brazier and a smoke blackened kettle, and you can still buy dripping, advertised as "delicious on toast" at Asda

Sometimes in the winter we would have "Watchman's Toast" - bread toasted on one side only using a toasting fork over the coal fire!

best done with 'unsliced bread'...just run the risk of the holes becoming too big and losing the lot.

...run the risk of the holes becoming too big and losing the lot.

LOL - Ain't THAT the truth! My dad was an expert at fitting the bread to the toasting fork - I wasn't so good resulting in the odd slice going up in flames!

We used to toast pyklets the same way - for some reason they tasted much better than doing them in the toaster on the stove!

Yes re my first question it was indeed Meadow Lane Scrap, at one time the owner had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence! re my second question it was a boat, something like a 30ft steel ex lifeboat with a steel "shed" welded on the top, seemed to be there years in the open on grass, after the new road was opened it was just feet away from the kerb

had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence!

I used to work for Bell Fruit....yep thats a BIG no no in their eyes....

Yes re my first question it was indeed Meadow Lane Scrap, at one time the owner had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence! re my second question it was a boat, something like a 30ft steel ex lifeboat with a steel "shed" welded on the top, seemed to be there years in the open on grass, after the new road was opened it was just feet away from the kerb

I've put two and two together and worked this one out.

I think this is the answer to your own question in the "Lady Bay" post :unsure: referring to life on Meadow Lane. We seem to have jumped threads along the way!

" A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can" Must have been posh roadworks? the ones I recall had a coke brazier and a smoke blackened kettle, and you can still buy dripping, advertised as "delicious on toast" at Asda

I always thought Bulwell was " Posh "

I was in Crown Court today (Not in the dock)

The Court Usher had to have a word with a member of the public seated in the court.

Big bodybuilding type.

The Usher did not consider a string vest appropriate attire for the Crown Court.

So they do still make them, and they are now classed as 'dressy' yes?

Walking back to the station I saw two more guys in coloured string vests.

Yes Kath must be the fashion.

A bit like the 60s when we used to tie dye Grandad Vests, those with the buttons up the front.

I used to make long John's complete with the escape hatch at the back also the vests !rotfl!

Lol used to work at Meridian when i lived at Calverton was on piece work earned a good wack then in the 70s

70's....sheesh i was earning abot £7:50 a week and it lasted till payday.

Are UK-made clothes - especially underwear - 'things you don`t see anymore?'

I tried to get my OH some new vests last week and had to get 'made in China' ones in the end `cos I couldn`t find any others.

From the market to the posh shops there were none 'Made in Britain'. NONE!

Am I being naive?

I remember the Shippo's horses well. Brings back some memories :)

See also Shippo's Oss

The little flat square piece of plastic with a a slot cut out that you used to re-seal the bread wrapper.

On occasions those plastic things were swallowed accidentally in sandwiches.Due to the shape they would get tangled in the gut and could kill if not removed.So they stopped using them and went back to the bag ties.

Things you seem to see any more around our way - kids playing on the park!

There`s a lovely park near us - a big field, big enough for a couple of football games - a fenced off swing park with swings and slides - clumps of 'hide 'n seek' trees - but though I walk past it several times a day it`s always empty - even during the school holidays. It`s overlooked on all four sides by houses so I`d think it was safe enough.

There are lots of children living round about - even in the houses overlooking the park - but I don`t know where they play.