Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

When i first hopped on this..4p to Moorbridge from Beastmarket Hill.1384d3095c056d1be18fe6a731908e40--bus-co

I still wish I could get my hands on the "bleeders" that torched 370 whilst it was in preservation at Ruddington. Hanging is too good for'em.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

Was that the Mike Long who had the Arms & Armoury antique shop on Derby Road?

It certainly was, first on Mansfield Rd, then to the larger premises on Derby Rd. That was only his retail outlet Mike was known world wide in the industry and he had many irons in many fires. Someone once said "if you want a sub just ask Mike such was his reputation. One of the partners who shall remain nameless, he is still very much alive had a 88mm flak gun as a front garden decoration beats a............garden gnome any day.

• Like 1

P1060082.jpg

Anyone ever use any of these? edited: was the "Ear Syringe" an  early form of punishment?

Rog

• Like 1

Just  being reading though this topic and came across photo's of the Vulcan, my brother went in the RAF at 14 but his time did not start till he was 16 (I think) any way he used to work on the Vulcan  radio's and he invented something for them don't ask me what but he managed to get a mention in the evening post!!!!!! sorry this is not really relevant to what I want to jot down, my brother was stationed at many of the RAF camps, one being Scampton (COR WE HAD SOME GREAT NIGHT IN THE MESS) sorry going off the subject again, any way for those of you who don't know  Scampton as you enter the base there used to be a Lancaster Bomber (I don't think its there any more) and when we went one weekend my brother ask if we would like to go in the Lancaster. Never in my life have I been in such a small space you could not turn around, once inside it felt as though you were trapped I feel sorry for the men who had to go to war and fight in these plane they were a death trap. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, IAN123. said:

And this blokes shop next door to where you bought yer' Blakeys and Segs

John Winfield (Winnie) one of the finest overlapping full backs I have ever seen.

You don't see their like nowadays.

This in my opinion is the greatest Forest team ever not withstanding the cup winning side of 1959 or that great team of the seventies.

Players left to right rear row : Peter Hindley; Bob McKinlay; Peter Grummitt; John Winfield; Henry Newton; 

Front row : Barry Lyons; Joe Baker; John Barnwell; Terry Hennessey; Frank Wignall; Ian Storey-Moore

Image result for nottingham forest 1960's

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Blimey, this picture will evoke a few memories amongst us senior members. A great team indeed.

Not many Fly............great team  great style...........tra tra, Hennessey..........ba ba barry lyons..........and the brilliant ziga zaga...........

edit,........not forgetting  hi,,hi,,,Ian.....

• Upvote 2

Joe B lived near the top of Woodbank Drive in Wollaton when I lived there. 

Always stacks of kids hanging around on Sunday mornings, especially if Joe had scored ! Great days.

This is the original of the Terry Hennessey song

The opposition fans used to sing Terry, Terry Hennessey who the f****n hell is he.

This is the original Barry Lyons Song

Of course the Ian Storey-Moore song was She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain

• Like 2

I used to get my steelies from the foundry at the bottom of Sherbrook road in Daybrook (Name...anyone?).  I think they mostly came from dismantled railway trucks at the time. This would have been about 1959/60ish.

14 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Scampton as you enter the base there used to be a Lancaster Bomber

Correct Mary,there was and under it was a Tallboy or Grandslam (earthquake) bomb,when the Lancaster had served it's time as RAF Scampton gate guard it was to be moved to the scrap yard but before it could be moved the thing had to be dismantled,on removing the bomb it was found to be still LIVE, bomb squads all over the place,parts of Lincolnshire evacuated,no one knew it was live and it sat there under the Lancaster and no one took any notice,safely defused and disposed of,do a search to see how big these bomb were

Rog

• Like 1

Remember telegraph poles?  Here's a survivor on the former Caledonian Railway at Scotstoun in the west end of Glasgow:

40623077854_2a37aef935_c.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone remember F.W. Woolworth? This one is on Renfrew Street, Glasgow:

39527185790_ba6d8726cb_b.jpg

• Like 1