Things you don't see anymore

On 10/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, LizzieM said:

Spotted in an hotel lobby in Spain last week.  Not seen one of these machines for a few years over here but remember years ago they were positioned outside newsagents/tobacconists shops.   Now all the cigarettes are hidden away in cupboards behind shop counters.   

F5-C02-DF8-05-FB-483-A-B74-E-91-E68726-E

You need a bank loan to buy a packet of fags these days

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

My mum had a 'dolly peg' which was a broom handle with a circular wooden thing on the bottom, which had 3 thick pegs coming out of it to stir the washing in the dolly tub with.

Ours was a ponch...a stick with a copper fitment on the bottom. Looked not unlike those copper light shades that are all the rage in kitchens. There was a maker's name embossed on it but I can't remember what it was.

• Like 1

You could probably use it as a toilet plunger should the need arise.  :dry:

Me mam had a ponch, but it was a stick with what looked like a three legged stool on the end.  You had to attack the clothes in a 'Dolly Tub' with it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Ours was a ponch...a stick with a copper fitment on the bottom. Looked not unlike those copper light shades that are all the rage in kitchens. There was a maker's name embossed on it but I can't remember what it was.

I think we still have a poncher somewhere the same as you describe, Jill.  The handle was green.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Me mam had a ponch, but it was a stick with what looked like a three legged stool on the end.  You had to attack the clothes in a 'Dolly Tub' with it.

Loppy, what you describe was what my  mum called a dolly peg.

Our grey, ridged dolly tub was big - a little metal poncher wouldn't have been long enough to reach right down (especially as my little mum was only 4'  10")

• Like 1

I think you must have lived with us Jill.... Except mam did eventually have a machine with a mangle and then progressed to a twin tub. It always went full on till it reached boiling point and needed big wooden tongs to extract the clothes. The machines were always Hoovers, the ones with impellers that guaranteed to tie washing into a knot way too big to go through the mangle. Much blowing of fingers and ooing and arring ensued untangling it.

At one point there was a stand alone spin dryer with a spout for the outlet you placed a bowl under then empty into the sink. Clever clogs here had the idea of standing it on the drainer so the water exited stage left straight into the plughole. Guess who had to hold it down so it didn't go walkies, yup, the same youth who got the job of loading boiling hot clothes into it because mam couldn't reach. I shudda kept me gob shut.

• Like 3

s-l500-2.jpg

s-l500.jpg

In a moment of madness i bought these items the single machine i already have the others are on the way, now the question is what the heck do i do with them.  Anyone remember these at home.

• Like 1

Mrs. L remarked recently how she is always burning herseff on our oven door which opens downwards.  I had never thought about it before but all the British cooker doors I ever saw opened sideways.  Makes sense  when you think about it.

I always burn my thumb when getting stuff out the oven. Tend to lift up and out not out and up. Always in the same place, have a small scar there now. Must be an age thing!

• Like 1

We watch the British Baking Show and the ovens on there open downwards then the door slides into a slot out of the way. Wouldn't mind one of those.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

We watch the British Baking Show and the ovens on there open downwards then the door slides into a slot out of the way. Wouldn't mind one of those.

Oven doors that slide out of the way are becoming readily available now over here Katyjay.  I know Neff make them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I never knowingly eat anything out of a microwave.

Why?

I bought one years ago and used it a lot after my first wife died.  I made a lot of stew type meals in a crockpot.  Later I could heat them in the microwave and have a quick meal on other days.

I always noticed that the food never tasted quite as good as it did fresh out of the crockpot, but never gave it much thought.

One day I read an article  that suggested that microwave radiation could alter the molecular structure of the food,  affecting taste, nutrition, and maybe even have other health effects.  I can't post a link because it was years ago, but I'm sure Mr. Google could probably pull something up if you search it.

Sooooo!  I quit using it.  There are lots of ways to heat food fairly quickly  anyway.

I may be way off base on this but I've never missed mwaved food.  We still have one and Mrs. L uses it but I don't.

Each to his own Loppy, but I find the micro really useful.

I've always understood that microwaves just cause water molecules( and fat molecules according to some sources) to heat up.  There is certainly no residual radiation etc., to worry about. The point with microwaves as you know is that they heat the food throughout, rather than from the outside in.. which is why they generally work faster than ovens etc, which rely on conduction.   As I understand it, all cooking alters the molecular structure of the food.  That's the point of cooking.

I don't tend to cook much food from scratch in the micro, although I sometimes do veg that way because it is quick and uses minimal added water. A medium sized potato takes 2-3 minutes in the micro as opposed to 15-20 minutes boiling.

My main use for the micro though, is for heating things such as canned soup, beans etc. 2 mins at 900W will have canned soup just right, and of course it can be heated in and eaten from the same container, saving on dish washing.  All that said, Mrs Col still insists on doing soup or beans or whatever, in a saucepan on the hob ( which uses induction), because she says they taste different  from the micro.

Maybe I just lack taste.. :laugh:

• Like 1

Bit late to go into it now Col.  I'm about to turn in.

I can't really argue against your response because what you said about  molecules etc. is true to the best of my knowledge.  I just tend to err on the side of caution I suppose.

The first showing of the Microwave Oven was on "Tomorrow's World" not sure of the date but it seemed to be quite a while after this show was on TV, that they sold them in the shops.

The commentated said if I remember "This is the way we will be cooking in the future.

I remember that Tomorrows World demo of a microwave oven. It was in the late '60's - early 70's. They were VERY expensive. Gerard's bought one in 1976(ish) for use in the labs but it wasn't much good for that and was used mainly for heating pies and things from the excellent butchers that were then on Radford Road.