Things you don't see anymore

I'm  like Brew CT, I  still use inks and a fountain pen. Trouble is no bugger wants to write to me. It's  all, "I'll text ya, or I'll  email ya". The art of writing seems to be dying.

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Here are two bottles of ink from my desk drawer. I use a fountain pen for birthday and Xmas cards. Bottled ink keeps for an amazing length of time.

hfNqn1ZFaqjAKObHKZZBx5Qbpj660lR-rXjU-vCH

On the subject of writing; I still use the contents of this packet occasionally. 50+yrs old and still works! 

cmxwTSombLMTAidHmZ1E8PF0scdnPR6p2of4mN_v

XeiAVcdbRm87yBPfl2YkNlKDs-V5RMfzD85-6NWz

• Like 1
On 9/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, Beekay said:

I'm  like Brew CT, I  still use inks and a fountain pen. Trouble is no bugger wants to write to me. It's  all, "I'll text ya, or I'll  email ya". The art of writing seems to be dying.

My handwriting has always been appalling and is now becoming painful to execute .  However, when I try to communicate my exquisite erudition and unparallelled prose via the alternate medium of the internet, I'm apt to find myself in receipt of criticism that my offerings are excessively verbose.  One simply cannot win!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Compo said:

On the subject of writing; I still use the contents of this packet occasionally. 50+yrs old and still works! 

cmxwTSombLMTAidHmZ1E8PF0scdnPR6p2of4mN_v

Aahh see thet stuff is Seowth Effrican..  Et says et's Blick. Aah wander if they also did et en Bluy, Grin, and Rid?  :laugh:

• Like 1

DJ, you have reminded me, with the above,  about the New Zealand accent. When we were there, they were having a heatwave. We would put on the Morning Show on the telly while we got ready. The 2 hosts, a man and a woman would have a little banter. In N.Z. the letter e is pronounced i. So the woman asks the fella, 'are you going to sit on your dick this evening with a cold beyah? No, says he, I'm still working on it, it's not finished yet. We couldn't stop laughing. Next day, she asked if he got it finished? No says he, I'm still hammering nails in my dick. They were completely serious, it all sounded normal to them. 

• Like 2

I remember going for breakfast when our ship was docked and unloading containers in Aukland, the waitress said how would you like your "iggs".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

My handwriting has always been appalling and is now becoming painful to execute .  However, when I try to communicate my exquisite erudition and unparallelled prose via the alternate medium of the internet, I'm apt to find myself in receipt of criticism that my offerings are excessively verbose.  One simply cannot win!

Gerr aht onit, yer only sayin that 'cos it's true...  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Talking of Kiwis,  the last hospital my son was in, he had a NZ nurse. She used to say " Come along Mr Keeng it's  to get you back inta bid".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Americans don't have a clue about cheese - like their mustard - bland and tasteless. The stuff they call Monterey Jack is possibly the worst as, in addition to the already described (non)attributes, it only keeps a few days without becoming covered in a whole fungal garden. Even the US imitations of real cheeses are rubbish. I've heard that they are manufactured to suit the 'American taste' - well, I can quite believe that.

The stuff called Cheez Whiz seemed to be straight out of the chemical factory - with a taste to match and a consistency and appearance resembling kaolin poultice (which is another thing you don't see anymore).

Regarding the other current post on this thread, not only a toilet roll and a seat but it also has a door. Real luxury there!

• Like 1

Not all cheeses are bland over here. Tillamook, a cheese company in Oregon, make wonderful mature cheddar, sold in 2lb blocks.  Much more expensive than supermarket brand stuff, but so worth the money.

Perhaps it's because Oregon is close to Canada - the Canadians do know how to make Cheddar but, again, that's only one amongst hundreds and hundreds of cheeses.

20 minutes ago, jonab said:

- the Canadians do know how to make Cheddar

A trip to Burtons in the 50s and 60s with my Mum always entailed a bit of cheese-tasting and the purchase of a big block of mature Canadian Cheddar.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do you remember Black Diamond Canadian Cheddar? It used to be sold in small sticks in most places - much like US butter - but Burtons had big blocks of it. We used to buy lbs at a time. My mother used to say it was so strong it made your tabs laugh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Always liked and bought a cheese that when you took a bite, it would bite back. Extra mature and Spanish onion sandwich.

Nothing like it.

• Like 1