katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

They stopped making them years ago. I preferred them to Lion bars they are very similar and still made.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, IAN FINN said:

The old oil cans where you tipped the can pressed the bottom to lubricate things like bicycle chains and the pedal crank when they had a lubricator on them.

Still got one, like the little one on the left and it is still used to oil bike chains, gate hinges, mower linkages etc.

Image result for oil cans collectables

• Like 1

Do they still make NUX bars throw 2 into a swimming pool it would empty in 5 seconds.

Parking lights on cars the type that clip on the side window saved many bruised knuckles and push starting.

Starting handles. Worst thing they got rid of.

I bet doctors and hospitals are glad they got rid of them. So many injured thumbs because the numpties that tried to use them did not know how to use them properly. You never held the handle like a tennis racquet you held it with your thumb alongside your fingers.

Allus found on my 1954 Ford popular, it were easier to turn the engine over without ignition on for a couple of turns, then switch on and one good pull on the handle (thumb out of the way) and the old jalopy would fire up.

The kick back if you got it wrong could be excruciating  !!

When we first married we brought a "Wolseley 40/40?"  for £10.00 it had a real leather seat, and COLUMN Change Gears, the only thing missing was the Bell on the front of the car, as these cars at the time were used by the Police.

We had the car running well, even went all the way down to Guildford Surrey to visit relatives, using the new road called the M1 but after a while it joined the ex police cars in the sky ps (tell No-one) going around the island near city hospital it gave up, so number plates taken off, 4 coins in the fountain sorry red telephone box, scrap man called, and next day like magic our car had gone.

RIP Wolseley 40/40

Mary a Wolseley4/44 was a very up market car in its day. An uncle of mine had one and the things I remember most was the smell of the leather and the illuminated badge in the radiator grille.

Putting a paint can with rags and parafin lit under a lorry fuel tank to keep the diesel fuel flowing in winter.

When I was young virtually every house had net curtains. I think my mother took a dim view of anyone who didn’t have them. I can’t recall seeing a house with nets for ages.  

you'r right when first married used to have draped net with frills and tie backs, the only thing was it would take me any thing from 15mins to 1 hour getting all the pleats and frill's even. Then I would stand back and tell myself what a good job i had done,

I have always hated net curtains, they are just dust gatherers. Did have them though as everyone seemed to. Hated having to take them down as getting them back up you needed arms like Arnold thingymebob (not attempting to spell his last name). I can remember soaking them in glo white as they used to go a dingy grey if you weren’t careful. I got the impression you were judged on the whiteness of your nets!

On the subject of dingy grey net curtains, have you noticed the revolting colour state of the net curtains at 10 Downing Street and other government buildings that are constantly being shown on British television news programmes? My mother would have had apoplexy if her nets became as bad as that.

Old men selling newspapers on the street corners.ps just had the worst 2 days of my life for some reason i could not reply to the threads every thing is ok now.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, jonab said:

On the subject of dingy grey net curtains, have you noticed the revolting colour state of the net curtains at 10 Downing Street and other government buildings that are constantly being shown on British television news programmes? My mother would have had apoplexy if her nets became as bad as that.

Maybe that's the bulletproof / bomb proof glass that's distorting the colour.

I've got nets on my upstairs front windows and front door.

I did have Vertical blinds when I first moved in the house but got rid of them after about 10 years, horrible things to keep clean.

Net curtains are so easy to wash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

I've got nets on my upstairs front windows and front door.

We have always had nets up at all windows, the ones we have are in the Jardinieres style, very pretty with flowers at the bottom and small leaves going up to the top.and almost pure white. They were from Yarnolds and cost quite a lot at the time. It paid off because they have lasted well.

We, over the  years have decorated and chosen furniture in  quite an old fashioned style,  with a few  modern bits thrown in. It seems to work. We even have the little cotton and lace   protecters on the two sofas to help keep them clean. 

The new window is now in the bedroom  (the dogs haven't barked for a couple of nights, so still waiting to see how well our acoustic glass works) Oops, strayed off my net subject for a mo. Anyway the window looked good but so bare without my Jardinier (being washed to go back up). It is back up now and my window looks pretty again. I guess, in the vote for nets, our house is a  yes. hearteyes

• Like 1

20200217-150320.jpg

Any sensible offer considered.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Old men selling newspapers on the street corners.ps just had the worst 2 days of my life for some reason i could not reply to the threads every thing is ok now.

Lots of old men on street corners in Brighton and Lewes , (some young ones too). But they're not selling newspapers, they're wrapped in Duvets !

7 hours ago, carni said:

We even have the little cotton and lace   protecters on the two sofas to help keep them clean. 

Are they called antimacassar? Originally to stop hair oil etc spoiling the furniture...

• Like 1

Still use 'em on my chair, as I'm a mucky bigger! (According to 'er indoors).

That's the one Brew. In our case five. I knew the name really (Cough Cough). They  really do a good job, we are also mucky biggers BK. They look very fitting in my little old fashioned abode.

• Like 1

Bet you've got Chintz curtains as well Carni. Plus a spinning wheel in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I'm just an old fashioned girl

With an old fashioned mind

Not sophisticated

I'm the sweet and simple kind

I want an old fashioned house

With an old fashioned fence

and .........................................................  NS choir   :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1