Things you don't see anymore

Not seen or used for decades: repairing car bodywork with fibreglass.  Maybe cars just don't rust the way they used to since zinc treatment of the body shells became commonplace.

I remember buying kits in the 1970s/1980s from the likes of Motorists Discount Centres, containing resin and hardener together with pieces of fine and coarse fibreglass matting.  Think it was David's Isopon P40 (a quick Google shows the resin is still available).

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Before fibreglass, cars were repaired with lead smoothed over a metal mesh. Not done it since the days of rust before your eyes Vauxhalls or silver paint peeling Fords...

5 hours ago, Brew said:

silver paint peeling Fords.

Not just Fords, here in OZ many cars including expensive ones suffer from peeling clear coat paint. It became more noticeable with certain silver and blue GM Holdens and other makes particularly of a certain era. Maybe the water based clear coat broke down under our harsh UV light.

Sorry boy's this post for girls only ?  why well I don't think any of you chaps would have brought these.

Girls can you remember the book's that we used to get, when you had to cut out the girl/boy model and then cut out the cloths and they had  carboard tabs on and which some time's you ended up cutting of.  I think the price of the books was about 10d  or 1/-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, David sheridan said:

I remember mary , i used to cut off the tabs when my sister wasn't looking !

i do like you but you are are awful.

• Upvote 1

The cut out dolls , remind me i asked my mum to save me any boxs , cornflake boxes were my favourite , i used to cut piece and put racehorse names on them and race them around the carpet, them days we made our own toys and things to amuse us , no cellphones or playstation not like now !!

• Like 1

I remember as a little kid, getting hold of a shoe box, and using scraps of material etc, making a bed in it. I put a small hole in one end of the box and fixed string in the hole. I then dragged my pet conker around in the box! You had to play with whatever you could lay hands on, ha ha.

• Like 3

@Jill Sparrow very true , when my dad worked on a building site he'd bring home assorted blocks of wood , abit like yer 60s version of jenga or tetris block !

@katyjay wot did you name your pet conker , i remember we used to throw sticks up the conker trees near morley school, st anns well rd i think ?

Hoping we'd get a good,un !!

Thoes Big Red Boxes with large black telephones in.

Telephone Boxes with a phone in.

• Like 1

@mary1947 very true a telephone box that actually works instead of plants and reading books in it , and occasionally saucy ladies calling cards , not that i ever availed meself of a card mind !!!!