Thanks for the posting , very interesting but even though am an ex Gedling school pupil can honestly say didn't recognise any of the streets at the beginning of the video.

Didn't have a clue where it was until it turned left at the top of Westdale Lane and saw the Co-op on Mapperley top. 

In my defence , at the end of this month , it will be 43 years ago since we left Nottm.

8 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Didn't have a clue where it was until it turned left at the top of Westdale Lane and saw the Co-op on Mapperley top. 

For the benefit of anyone else who didn't recognise the location, the bus starts in the new housing on the former site of Gedling colliery.

• Like 1

I have to agree with DavidW, I too did'nt know any of the first section. Could'nt identify Westdale lane at all, even though that's where I did a lot of my bus driver training on the steepest part, to learn crash box gear changing, ( plus Breckhill road). Did'nt realise there were so many shops on Westdale. It did jolt a memory when I saw Hungerhill road stop. That reminded me of when I used to cycle to to my dads allotment at Hungerhill gardens. But this was back in c1953. My driver training was 1964.

21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Someone has made a video of a bus journey from Gedling to Nottm City Centre.

Thanks for that Cliff Ton, I enjoyed that ride, I did not recognise too much until the bus got into the heart of the city. 

I would not want to be a bus driver, some of the plonkers in cars have no situational awareness at all. I can't get used to the numbers of cars parked half on the road and half on the pavement, or the fact that cars are parked front on to the oncoming traffic. You are not allowed to park like that here, you must park the rear of the car in line with the traffic flow so they can see your rear reflectors when dark. Are the bus stops closer together than they used to be?

I have never seen so many potholes and bodgy repairs to the roads. It would help to clear the trees from the side of the road and what is rattling when the bus is getting up to speed? Who in heavens name came up with that lilac bus and what were they smoking at the time?

I wish our traffic lights had the same sequence as yours, ours go from red straight to green with no red and amber together phase, so by the time the person in the car in from o\has had a sip of their coffee or water, texted someone the lights are going back to red and only a few cars have gone through.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

I too did'nt know any of the first section. Could'nt identify Westdale lane at all, even though that's where I did a lot of my bus driver training on the steepest part

I'll have to look at that part again as my formative years were off Westdale Lane and went to Westdale junior school too.

I did wonder if I'd spotted Fearns builders merchants on the left .

Edit: after a second viewing much clearer. After the start ,the bus turns right and goes up Arnold Lane and then turns left into Shelford Rd . All those houses there were built about the time I was at Gedling school in the 60s.

It then eventually comes out on Holyoak Rd which I believe is where the Co-OP used to be on the corner (or still is?) and joins Westdale Lane there.

I just got a glimpse of Westdale Junior school on the right as it went up.

7 hours ago, Beekay said:

I have to agree with DavidW, I too did'nt know any of the first section. Could'nt identify Westdale lane at all, even though that's where I did a lot of my bus driver training on the steepest part, to learn crash box gear changing, ( plus Breckhill road). Did'nt realise there were so many shops on Westdale. It did jolt a memory when I saw Hungerhill road stop. That reminded me of when I used to cycle to to my dads allotment at Hungerhill gardens. But this was back in c1953. My driver training was 1964.

Don't get me wrong BK but there were never any buses going up Hungerhills.   Hungerhill rd went from St Ann's well Rd up Corporation then Hungerhill rd and came out on Coppice rd formaly Ransom rd. yes there were gardens called the Hungerhills but there was never a bus stop.    Sorry i just saw that you cycled there but still no Hungerhill rd stop xxxxxxx

I know there were never any buses on Hungerhill, but if you watch CTs video you will see a caption at one point stating that the bus was stopping at Hunerhill road stop. It was on Woodborough road , heading for Nottm city centre.

@DAVIDW, once again I have to say thank you for your description of the road names. I have just watched the video for a fourth time and now understand the journey from Shelford road onwards to right up to Woodborough road. ( it's all past the stretch where I did my gear changing exercise).

Footnote... the first bit I only remember as Gedling pit, where I used to load washed singles coal for Boston. Is the Grey Goose still there?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

I know there were never any buses on Hungerhill, but if you watch CTs video you will see a caption at one point stating that the bus was stopping at Hunerhill road stop. It was on Woodborough road , heading for Nottm city centre.

Must say BK never heard of the stop or seen Video but if it was on Woodborough Rd as you say,   then it was a good mile a two from  Hungerhil Road the nearest roads getting to Hungerhill rd was Porchester rd/ Coppice Rd/ Sycamore Rd unless it was changed after pre-demolition. Will have a look at the video!!!

8 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Must say BK never heard of the stop or seen Video but if it was on Woodborough Rd as you say,   then it was a good mile a two from  Hungerhil Road the nearest roads getting to Hungerhill rd was Porchester rd/ Coppice Rd/ Sycamore Rd unless it was changed after pre-demolition. Will have a look at the video!!!

Just watched and it is after pre-demolition . it says Ransom Rd stop this was also Coppice Rd 

54 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Is the Grey Goose still there?

Gone ! Just checked on a Gedling FB page and it looks like it was demolished 15 to 20 years ago. There's now a care home on the site.

73 Arnold Ln
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HxHKMEXBAoPZ5TUJ9?g_st=ac

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Just watched and it is after pre-demolition . it says Ransom Rd stop this was also Coppice Rd 

Screenshot-20240607-200107-Chrome.jpg

See bottom r/h for stop. If it were 2 ml away it would be in town.x

I belive BK what i was saying when i first saw your post i was going back to before demolition which was in the pre1970 after they had removed all the houses they built most of the new streets of the new St Ann's the opposite way but they kept  most of the street names. that was why I could not work when you mentioned Hungerhill rd I could not way-up where you was. 

The only bus number which sticks in my mind was the X99 that used to go to Brum. My brother did his engineering apprenticeship at BSA and seem to remember this was the bus he used to get ?? Unless my dad drove on a Sunday evening and can remember “Sing something Simple” and the shipping forecast on the radio. Think I was usually asleep in the back of the car.  Before the A42 was built of course and used to go through Measham and stop for fish and chips there. Must have been around mid sixties.

I used to catch the X99, was it a Midland Red service to Brum? Trent from Mansfield, x99 to Birmingham New Street and then a Birmingham City Transport bus out to the suburbs to see my then girlfriend, now wife. I found that an East Midlands to Chesterfield, then train to New Street saved me an hour and a half, a little more expensive but well worth the time saved.

It was Midland Red! That’s a nice memory unearthed for you, what a lovely story. Sometimes my brother used to take the train from Derby. He lived at Acocks Green while he was at BSA. 

• Like 1

Apart from odd day trips to Skeg..and a few school trips to That London, my only long bus journeys were always to visit relatives in Coventry.

I have a vague memory of taking the first stage to Leicester. via Midland Red?  Then even vaguer memories of a company called 'Black and White' from Leicester to Coventry. I think they must have disappeared around that time.

When I was old enough to travel alone and spend a week with my cousin and his family in Coventry, I have a memory of waiting for the connection in Leicester.  The Leicester Bus Station in my memory wasn't much more than a bit of a yard..with a slight slope to it. The Coventry one, like much of Coventry after the devastation of the War, still had a 'temporary' feel about it.

That's about all I can recall now.

19 minutes ago, MRS B said:

It was Midland Red! That’s a nice memory unearthed for you

Yes Mary it was. Sometimes a bit of a bugger getting home on a Sunday night, the train from New Street got into Chesterfield ten minutes before the last bus to Mansfield and it in turn 15 minutes before the last bus to my own village. Many a time had to hitch from Chesterfield or hoof it home from Mansfield

• Like 1

P.S.  A couple of other names have resurfaced in my memory.  Barton's, and Midland General. Also used to be quite a 'thing' to see Ribble buses on the M1..as they came from all the way 'oop north'.

I can't find a specific reference to a 1950s 'Black and White' company though.