5 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I can't find a specific reference to a 1950s 'Black and White' company though.

Black and White Motorways specialiised in long distance express routes. It was based out of Cheltenham and part of a consortium called Associated Motorways

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Those were days, eh Oz !!

Yes! You know what they say about the sixties. If you can remember them you weren't really there.

Met at school and still married after 52 years

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Black and White Motorways specialiised in long distance express routes. It was based out of Cheltenham and part of a consortium called Associated Motorways

I assume they didn't mean motorways, as in Motorways, because apart from the Preston By Pass in 1958, which later became part of the M6..there weren't any....

My memory is that the Barton, Midland Red or whatever did the journey from Nottm to Leicester, was more like a single decker bus.. whereas the Black and white, was definitely more like a coach..if you see what I mean. Old style, 'streamlined'...

Something like this... old-1940-1950-coach-in-oxford-england-A0

Though it was over 65 years ago..

My bus trips were to Earls Court Motorshow in the mid 60s and a couple of times to Butlins at Filey early 60s and they were with Skills got the tickets on Alfreton Rd. and caught the bus outside the Albert Hall.

When I was a teenager in the 60s I went to Devon a couple of times on a Black and White coach.  Can’t remember if it was the entire journey but we departed from Huntingdon Street for the overnight journey, stopping in Cheltenham en route.   

Probably going down the old Fosse road my first long trip in my Morris Minor in 1964 was to Torquay passing through the old towns and villages the entire trip took six and half hours with the traffic jams around Exeter great times though.

The Old Fosse was a road we used many times when going to the southeast. We used to pick it up from the A5 just past Leicester and follow it through the Cotswolds to Cirencester. It was a good straight road and not too busy. Our first stop was at the Little Chef at Northleach for an early breakfast. I suppose the best way now is M1, M69 and M5. Our son did a stint at the Royal Agricultural College Cirencester when he studying for his Law PhD and we regularly used that road when we visited. Not been that way for years now.

An indication of things improving........since this thread was first posted midday Thursday (i.e. 3 days and 6 hours ago) it has been viewed by 365 people.

That would've been impressive back in the good old days; by more recent standards it's bloody amazing.

I always used to use the old Fosse when my parents lived in Trowbridge. Loved that Road.