The `Jules et Jim` Cafe off Goosegate

Does anyone remember the `Jules et Jim` coffee shop off Goosegate, almost opposite Heathcote street. I used to play folk music there in 1963, 4 and 5 and remember Rene the owner. He and his Kiwi wife lived on their converted MTB moored at Gunthorpe Lock. I stayed on board with them for a few days once in 1965. That place was my introduction to the Bob Dyllan style of playing and I have never stopped,

It would be interesting if anyone remembers those days.

Regards Andrew Cole.

Hi Andrew,

we had a bit of a chat going about folk music on the Nottstalgia Music Chat (General) pages - "Ist Record Bought" thread.

Hugs Alison

• 6 months later...

I have been busy the last few months but one thing has come up due to my involvement with model aircraft here.

Does anyone know what happened to Rene who owned the `Jules et Jim`?

The reason I ask is that I am interested to find out who has access to the basement now and if my model aircraft was ever found.

This would be a massive buzz if I could actually trace it and maybe follow the history of the coffee shop / shopfront in the last 40 odd years.

I am still heavily into Folk Singing and I am providing all the sound equipment for our local festival at the end of September. I am sure I will be singing a song or two as well.

Regards to all

Andrew Cole. (elocwerdna@hotmail.com)

Best not feed the spambots! Eh?

Dont worry address is now well munged. (COLOR=blue]@[/color)

If its in yer signature, best remove it, there is a secure email link under all your posts (Ed.)

I Knew Nolly Buck, who lived on an MTB @Hazelford ferry around 1984.

He was an ex Jazz player (drummer) with the well Known Names?

Ian Knows him? What was his handle?

Just found this on a google search

http://knowhere.co.uk/board/kb572/threads....37&thread=49354

Knowhere Contact UK: Sutton in Ashfield

Re: mid fifties by ALEC COLEMAN (Member 150687) on 10-May-05

"I WAS THE SINGER WITH THE STAR SWING BAND AT THE ST MICHAEL'S "BOB HOP" GREAT TIMES AND GREAT MUSIC. THE PEACH FAMILY RAN THE DANCE, GLADYS PEACH, MARRIED NAME HICKLING ON PIANO, FRANK PEACH ON SAX, ALF SAVAGE ON TRUMPET, ALONG WITH LENNIE MOAKES, DRUMMER NOLLY BUCK AND NUMEROUS OTHER MUSICIANS, AND OLD MOTHER PEACH TOOK YOUR MONEY ON THE DOOR."

I just vaguely remember the name Nolly but i didn't really talk to him sorry I can't be more helpful

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Just getting back on track for the moment, I posted elsewhere that I had left my twin engined silver A-26 control line aircraft in the basement under the Jules et Jim when I was last there.

I was wondering if anyone would like to have a look to see if there is still some sort of a shop there and if they have access to the basement and see if my aircraft has been stuffed away in a corner and if so, to rescue it for me. I have just managed to obtain a copy of the plans from a U.K. aeromodeller and so I intend to rebuild it but the original would have a few tales to tell.

My email address is on this site so if someone has claimed it I can communicate with them directly.

I intend going over there for several weeks next Christmas and hope to catch up with some of you then.

All the best.

Andrew Cole.

Thanks Mick, any chance you might want to take a walk down Goosegate and have a look? I don`t even know if you still live there, most of us have spread out all over the place.

I have tried to find hisorical archives of that area in the early `60s but to no avail. I will probably have to write to the council for business applications etc to try and track down Rene who owned the cafe back then.

Andrew.

I have no plans to go to the city, I live in Sawley.

Den might be able to check for the current sittuation with the shop when he goes to the ice stadium next.

How long ago did you leave the plane?

Hello Tuesday Beefsteak ! (Lobsang?)

I now live near Wagga Wagga in N.S.W. Australia.

I left the plane there a very long time ago but stranger things have happened when someone puts something on top of a cupboard in a basement than to actually have it still there coated in dust.

Regards Andrew

• 4 months later...

Don't remember jules et jim but I remember Dave Turner - always worth watching and very funny. There was an article on him recently on either the Evening Post or Radio Nottingham site. Sods law, I can't find it now.

• Upvote 1

Carol,

I think Dave Turner was the guitarist who introduced me to Bob Dylan music and the `Claw Hammer` style of playing. He used to work as a part time waiter at the cafe as well. If I recall, he used to play in a rock band and would come in after a gig and play some Folky stuff to wind down.

Were you there in those days?

Regards Andrew.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Carol,

I think Dave Turner was the guitarist who introduced me to Bob Dylan music and the `Claw Hammer` style of playing. He used to work as a part time waiter at the cafe as well. If I recall, he used to play in a rock band and would come in after a gig and play some Folky stuff to wind down.

Were you there in those days?

Regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew

I never went to the Jules et Jim, but I remember Dave speaking fondly of those days. I first met Dave in 1969 and am still in touch with him. Unfortunately he is not at all well now. The article recently in the evening post was about a benefit gig held for him at the Bell Vue. He loved the tribute and all the fuss made over him. Unfortunately we can't do that all the time.

Carol

Hello Andrew

I never went to the Jules et Jim, but I remember Dave speaking fondly of those days. I first met Dave in 1969 and am still in touch with him. Unfortunately he is not at all well now. The article recently in the evening post was about a benefit gig held for him at the Bell Vue. He loved the tribute and all the fuss made over him. Unfortunately we can't do that all the time.

Carol

Carol, sad to hear of his ill health. Any chance of a postal address so that I can send him a card from here in Australia. Send it to my email address if you like.

Regards Andrew

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

after a 2 year break in which I started and sadly finished another relationship, I am back searching for my long lost model aircraft. Has anyone been able to have a look under the `Jules et Jim` for me yet?

I am going to try and upload a couple of photos of then and now. I am also now on facebook.

No, all my attempts at uploading using both types of uploader have failed with several different photos so I really don`t know how to do this. Admin, can you help please.

Regards Andrew Cole.

Andrew, open a "photobucket account" totally free, then upload your photos there and use the copied code and paste it here in the "insert image" icon. The little piccie icon on the menu bar.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry, you have lost me. What is a `Photobucket Account`?

The `Attach` line is telling me that I have used 119.89K of my allowed 50K. My math is not that good but something looks rather sus with those numbers. Would it be easier to email an attachment to someone, I know how to do that.

You cannot post photos directly from your computer to this or other forum sites, so what we do, is upload photos to a "storage site" like photobucket. It's free and easy, just make sure you stick to a standard format like Jpeg for you photos. When you've opened an account, all you do is log into that account, click on upload, and you will get your computer show a menu. Best place to keep everything on your machine is in "My Documents" then they are easy to find when you upload them to photobucket.

When the photos you want to post here are on photobucket, select the one you want to post here, and you will notice four sets of codes, move your pointer over the second one down, and copy that code, when you're ready to post it here you can either use the "tags" img, or if you look on the menu bar, there is a "picture icon" with a tree in it, left click on it and it puts the "tags" in for you, then "paste the code between the two sets of img's.

The address for photobucket is Click Here.

If you have any questions about "how too's" don't be afraid to ask.

Try this that I posted as a tutorial on another site, might be easier to understand than my last post.

First you will need a place to store photos, you cannot directly load photos from your PC to this site!! Go to Photobucket and open an account, it's free! URL is http://photobucket.com/ Upload your photos into your photobucket account. Then you will notice each photo has a box with code in it.

They are "Email & IM"

Direct Link.

HTML Code..

IMG Code.

Flash Code.

You will be using the "Direct Link". Simply move your pointer on to the code, left click and it will show as highlighted then right click and it will show as "copied".

Now here in the posting window, select IMG from the menu bar, top row, and paste it between the two IMG "tags"

TIP! instead of clicking "submit" click on "Preview" first to check everythings alright, if your post is complete, then submit it.

Later I'll do a screen capture with everything marked up for ease of use to help those not computer "savvy". Won't take you long to get the grasp of everything though.

MemakingDulcimers1986.jpgP1030440.jpgO.K. here we go. With all those wonderfull words of advice, I managed to open a Photobucket account and uploaded three photos.

Now to see if I can paste them......By jove and jumping windows, I think it worked !!

I am a little older than I was back then but still playing a lot of the same songs. If Carol could get these to Dave Turner I am sure he would get a kick out of seeing me grow my hair !!

I am still trying to find out what business is now in the old `Jules et Jim` site.

Regards to all

Andrew (from the Antipodes)

• Upvote 1